PDA

View Full Version : My son's first deer

Scott R
12-13-2009, 12:18 PM
My son decided he wanted to try deer hunting for the first time, but being only 11 years old he hadn't taken a hunters safety course so he couldn't legally hunt yet in California.* So we decided to head to Texas for a little whitetail hunting where he could hunt.* We drove down stopping at the Grand Canyon for a couple days, spending some time in Flagstaff, Cabelas in Arizona and then to Sheffield Texas, the location of the Brinlee Ranch we would be hunting at.* We arrived Wednesday morning, un-packed our gear, and headed to the range to sight in our rifleshttp://img709.imageshack.us/img709/9953/img1374480x360.jpg
Lunch was later served and then we were taken out to hunt at our first blind.* We hunted blinds that were strategically placed throughout the 60000 acre ranch. This was my second trip to the Brinlee ranch, the first trip was a lot of fun.* The blinds were mostly elevated box blinds and each one had a feeder within 100 yards.* Within 20 minutes of being in the blind, deer started coming out.* At Brinlee ranch, getting a buck is not a problem.* Holding out for a big buck though tests your patience.* Trying to explain to a 11 year old why we aren't going to shoot one of the 10 bucks we saw is really tough.* We headed back to the ranch that night for a fantastic dinner.* The next morning we were at it again.* More nice 8 pointers, 10 pointers and even a 12 but not quite that special buck.* Back to the lodge for lunch.* Three of my friends that were hunting with us also had shot their bucks this morning, one being a nice 12 point non-typical.* So now the pressure was on and my son was ready shoot his deer.* We hit the range to make sure his rifle was still on, and then off to our blind for our evening hunt.* Lots of deer but no shooters.* Friday morning started off very good.* We are sitting in our blind before shoot time and we see a nice 8 pt buck with nice horns.* Its still dark so we can't totally see it.* The buck is feeding by some other deer and we keep watching.* Eventually we loose site of this buck, but another extremely wide 10 pointer walks in.* Its shoot time, my son decides to take the 10 pointer.* As he gets his rifle ready, the nice 8 pointer comes back into view.* Decision time.* My son chooses the 8 pointer.* One shot perfectly placed with .257 Roberts and his first buck is down at 105 yards.http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/5033/img1361480x360.jpghttp://img230.imageshack.us/img230/467/img1373480x360.jpgWhat a great hunt but it wasn't over yet.* To help manage the deer, Brinlee ranch allows you to harvest at least two does.* So the rest of the weekend my son harvested 3 does.* This was a great trip with my son Matt, who is now hooked for life on hunting and is already a great fisherman.* Brinlee ranch was once again another great experience and can't wait to do it again.

Cal_Kellogg
12-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Totally Awesome...Great job and a great story...First deer stories are the best and that's one buck neither one of you guys will ever forget...My dad and I have been lucky enough to take a lot of bucks while hunting together, but when we are setting around drinking coffee and talking hunting one of the stories that always comes up the story of my first deer...

scales
12-13-2009, 03:17 PM
nice story and great pictures. is that a muley? i hope that your son will enjoy hunting in california after that.

Captain_Morgan
12-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Congrats to your son & a proud pops! :) Awesome post too!! ;)