PDA

View Full Version : Downrigging/Trolling tips and information

Vance Staplin
10-03-2009, 02:25 AM
I'm not sure it this is the best place to post this but I hope it may be helpful to anglers that are new to our sport and maybe provide a new tip or two to some more "seasoned" angers.

We (with fantastic help/video work from Zhands)completed several video's on downrigging techniques and placed them in our "tips" section on our website.

These video's are not fancy by design but combined with the literature in the tips section they can be very helpful to someone new to our sport.

Here is a link to the "Tips" section of our website, be sure to scroll down and see all of the video's:
http://vancestackle.com/tips.html

Please let me know what you think of this so I can make changes in the future and feel free to post or forward the tips to anyone/anywhere they may be helpful.

Thank you

Vance Staplin
Edit/Delete Message

Ron G
10-04-2009, 02:10 AM
Very nice Vance. Even if you've been fishing downriggers for a while, it's always nice to hear additional tips from the Pro's.

Kudos to Zhands for an excellent video. :)

Shawnb
10-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks Vance. The video's were very helpful.

Hlawatyr
10-08-2009, 02:28 AM
[smiley=dankk2.gif]sent your site to my buddy who is just getting into DR fishing this should answer alot of his questions, keep up the good work. [smiley=signfishon34hi6zv.gif]

Vance Staplin
10-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi Guy's,

It is terrific that these videos are helping. Thank you for the great feedback.

Vance

fernley_tim
10-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Nice work Vance and zhands 8-)

Vance Staplin
10-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Hi Mongo,

Thanks,

Vance

Captain_Morgan
10-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Nice work Vance and zhands 8-)
Ditto!!* Vance, I've been fishing with Dr's for awhile, & the only thing that you didn't talk about is after you hook-up do most people keep trolling,or if you get a double do you keep trolling too? I tend to keep moving but some people have different opinions about that,what do you do? That's probably that last thing most newbies think about,we all know how fast we can make a tangled mess happen. Thanks.

By the way..I always tell my wife she can catch anything BIG on those spiral rods & she does,cracks me up.* ;D Can't wait to take her to the delta with it. ;) :D
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg155/DaCaptainMorgan/IMG_4151.jpg

Vance Staplin
11-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Ditto!!Vance, I've been fishing with Dr's for awhile, & the only thing that you didn't talk about is after you hook-up do most people keep trolling,or if you get a double do you keep

trolling too? I tend to keep moving but some people have different opinions about that,what do you do? That's probably that last thing most newbies think about,we all know how fast we can make a tangled mess happen. Thanks.

By the way..I always tell my wife she can catch anything BIG on those spiral rods & she does,cracks me up.Grin Can't wait to take her to the delta with it. Wink Cheesy

Hi Captn,

Nice Cut Throat and an awesome picture 8-)

Great point!

When trolling deep and within 20 feet of the downrigger I turn to the inside of the rod that is hooked up.* I will generally slow down to about half speed while making the tight turn So the outside rods will be going the correct speed and the dodgers will not be rolling.

Doing this for King Salmon feeding on Shad and tight schooled Kokanee can often produce double and triple hook ups.

Back in the "good ol days" up to three years ago this worked great on ocean kings also.

Those spiral rods are hard to beat!! I'm glad you like them!

Thanks,

Vance