PDA

View Full Version : Shad in sacramento river

Yolo
03-29-2015, 09:42 PM
Hello fellow sniffers.

During last 2-3 years I have had more luck catchin shad on Sac river and I know they start biting around this time of the year. Early april is usually when you start seeing people lining up at Miller park and usually doing ok at least much better than people in AR last 2 years.

I have heard some stories that people do really good on boats but I have never tried it.
I'm planning to do it this year probably either at miller park or freeport.

Has anyone tried it ? some tips on how to catch shad off the boat in Sacramento river would be appreciated. My boat is 12' tin can and not too wide, somtimes I'm concerned to take it out because of jetsky and big party boats making huge waves on the Sac river. But I think I have seen some similar 12' boats in miller park area with 2 people and doing ok.

Thx

Brickinthewall98
03-29-2015, 09:45 PM
You will be fine. Set ur darts up on a high low rig and wait for the sucide run

Yolo
03-30-2015, 02:48 PM
You will be fine. Set ur darts up on a high low rig and wait for the sucide run

Thanks Brickinthewall98!!
I saw some video and it looked like people used 1oz egg sinker as their weight. Is that what people usually use on the sac from the boat?

BIG_ONE
03-31-2015, 03:09 AM
Hi-low rigs are typically done with 1.5" curly tail jigs.

knotgillty
04-27-2015, 08:20 PM
Anchored on the Sac somewhere between downtown & verona today. It was a morning bite. Ended the day with 15 shad on the deck. Lost another 7 or 8 fish right at the boat. Bite turned off around 11am. Saw a couple big stripers rolling. Saw a sea lion too. SHAD were a little better grade than the last trip. Tight lines

dsa2780
04-27-2015, 08:34 PM
Anchored on the Sac somewhere between downtown & verona today. It was a morning bite. Ended the day with 15 shad on the deck. Lost another 7 or 8 fish right at the boat. Bite turned off around 11am. Saw a couple big stripers rolling. Saw a sea lion too. SHAD were a little better grade than the last trip. Tight lines

What color has been producing for you up there?

knotgillty
04-28-2015, 05:32 AM
My partner used chartreuse / I used pink. Both had sparkles. Both did equally as well.