PDA

View Full Version : Fish with Gary Tackle Co. NEWS !!

fishwithgary
11-26-2007, 05:56 PM
This board is a neat idea, and I hope it provides better communication between the manufacturer and the user fisherman.

I have been very busy getting ready for next season with some fantastic new kokanee dodgers and lures. *My website has just undergone a fantastic re-do, and you can visit and spend some time looking around. *The link is www.fishwithgary.com

One main feature of the website is what I call "Kokanee University." *There you will find an in depth article I wrote entitled, "Becoming a Better Kokanee Fisherman *Part 1: Dodger and Lure Science." *It also has some good illustrations, and diagrams. *It is written in not too technical terms, and it is enjoyable reading for all kokanee fishermen, as well as any angler who trolls. *Feel free to print out the article.

As you know, I am always pleased to answer any of your questions about kokanee fishing or my tackle. *You can always reach me through this board, or a PM, or regular email at gary@fishwithgary.com, or call me at 530.265.5951

I will once again be at the Sacramento ISE show at CalExpo January 17-20, 2008. *Same location - booth 3735. *Hope to see you there. *For those of you in the southern part of the state, I will be at the Central Valley Sportman's Show at the Kern County Fairgrounds February 8-10, 2008.

Or family extends to you the very best wishes for this Holiday Season. *May there be peace and stability in our troubled world very soon.

Gary

troutfan
11-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Now that's a great start! Thanks for getting the ball rolling Gary and Merry Christmas to you! :)

metalmouth
11-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Gary,
Thanks for allowing me to pick your brain for all of these years. I thought I had learned how to Kokanee fish by trial and error. When I learned the Science of Kokanee fishing it became a whole new ball game. Your knowledge, products, and patience have made me, what I consider to be, a really good Kokanee fisherman. That's the finest compliment I can give to any tackle manufacturer.

Thanks for your continued sponsorship of these boards!

MM/Don

Trout_Tamer
11-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Fishwithgary,
Gary is a very nice guy and wealth of knowedge to anyone trying to figure out where kokanee are and how they think. *I am sure probably one of the best guides you can find just from having previous conversations with him and watching the innovative product line he has to offer.

Oh yeah one more thing, let it be known that the Kokanee University is truly the kokanee bible and is the best put together piece of literature on kokanee I have seen. Great job on that I must say.

Trout Tamer

fishwithgary
12-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Just wanted to let you all know that Mountain Hardware in Truckee carries a really good selection of Fish With Gary Tackle, as well as many other good kokanee tackle including Sierra Angler's bugs, Rocky Mountain Tackle, Crystal Basin Tackle and others. Overall, it is a really good place to visit, on your way to or back from the Reno area. The folks are super friendly and they know their stuff. Ask for Brian. Take Hwy 89 exit off of 80 to Donner Pass Road. Can't miss it.

Gary

Ron G
12-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Overall, it is a really good place to visit, on your way to or back from the Reno area. *The folks are super friendly and they know their stuff. *Ask for Brian. *Take Hwy 89 exit off of 80 to Donner Pass Road. *Can't miss it.

Gary

Yep, a great store indeed. They have an excellent kokanee tackle supply and rods also. I was there last week and picked up a FWG Copper King Blue Dodger. They didn't have a pink one when I was there or I would have bought one. They're also one of the few stores that sell Jay Fair Trolling Flies in this area. *;)

cptdarel
12-09-2007, 02:06 AM
Hi Gary
Kudos to your new layout on your site, much easier to understand your products and system. hope you are you planning to expand your vendor tackle shops, while fishing at New Melones one of your systems was smacking the kokes, so ran up to the local sport shop to buy another system that I needed NOW, but the didn't carry your product :'(. needless to say I felt bummed out. Any insight?
Darrell

fishwithgary
12-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Darrell,
The local sport store at New Melones will be one of my stops this season. It will be up to her as to whether she will carry some of my stuff. From what I have heard she is a great lady. It always helps when the local fisherman make requests for a store to carry a certain line, so thanks for doing that.

My stuff is entirely hand-made by me. I do not outsource any of it. As such, you will never find any of my stuff at the local "discount" stores. But my market outlook this season is rather expansive, and you will likely be able to find my FWG Tackle in many places where you would as a sportsman go.

This year, my little Tackle Company grew 10 fold over the previous year. That has been very encouraging and fun. And the product designs for this season are simply the best. And I get to meet so many great people. It is the kind of one on one philosophy that is the reason I started doing this.

I encourage you to come to my booth at the Sacramento ISE show at CalExpo January 17-20 to make sure that you have your tackle box "properly outfitted" for the season. It was awesome last year to meet so many friends in person that I had talked to on line on the FishSniffer. And I really appreciate the sales from my website. I will have the order shipped the very next day (the same day if the order is placed early enough) by priority mail.

It is going to be another great season - soon as we get some snow pack. Thanks again Darrell.

Gary

fishguts
12-22-2007, 04:10 PM
I was at Gary's booth last year and got a really great one on one seminar from him. That was great and thanks a lot for that.

AllFishNoWork
12-24-2007, 07:15 AM
We stopped by Garys' booth last year and had a great visit. We even put his knowledge to work on his home lake up there and had a good, short but good, season at BB.

chicofishrmen
02-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Gary,
Is it possible to add a "search" bar to your site. I can't find the Darth Vader dodger or lure anywhere! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif and I need to buy it now! Yes, I know I have a problem with buying tackle, I can't buy it fast enough!
Thanks Chico!

45_Auto
02-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Shawn, Gary has two Darth Raider dodgers listed. One is a Stomper Dodger, while the other is a power dodger. As to the lure check under the private collection.

chicofishrmen
02-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Shawn, Gary has two Darth Raider dodgers listed. One is a Stomper Dodger, while the other is a power dodger. As to the lure check under
the private collection.

Found them! Thanks 45! What a coincidence today is payday! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

45_Auto
02-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Payday, hmmm. We need to discuss my finders fee.

Picked up two complete sets of FWG gear at ISE, and the quality is impressive.

chicofishrmen
03-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Gary,

Need some help! While your website is great, (I would've been running the dodger backwards without it!) but there is so much to choose from I can't decide! Can you put togher an Oroville coho basic package for me? I can't wait to try the stuff you sent me, but after reading the info at your website, I can see the early, middle, and late season approach! And I'll be brutally honest, they are gonna plant 350k coho's at a smaller size this August, and of course I want to avoid the smaller one's and target the bigger ones! Oh, and I'm fishing this Saturday, so no pressure! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif j/k I'm looking towards this summer, or late fall! Oh, and I've got a whopping $40-50 bucks to spend. Stupid ocean salmon closure!

fishwithgary
03-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Indeed I can help you. I still think that the best approach for those cohos will be my power dodgers, with either a RMT UV squid, or equally excellent the new Crystal Basin hoochies, which I happen to have available. Remember short setbacks. And most important, don't have the drag set too tight. Light tackle, light drag puts you in control of the fight.

These power dodgers have a fantastic action, and do very well at high speed. The addition of a second small spinner up front has added additional "good noise" to the setup. These dodgers really make a high intensity attraction statement. Once attracted, the fish imprints on the colors, which is the reason for the matching color choice in your lure.

The power dodgers for cohos should be fine no matter what part of the water column you are in. The only rule I would use is that as you go deeper, go a bit faster. Also the Power Dodger in Natural Glow would be my choice for depths beyond 45-50 feet.

I have partnered with kokaneemart on the 5 power dodger and two matched hoochies per power dodger, and he carries that combo for 64.95. You can find that at http://store.kokaneemart.com/prostores/servlet/Detail?no=457

I can make you up a custom one with less hoochies within your price range. Call me at 530.265.5951 and we can take care of this and you'll have your goodies the next day.

As far as the little guys getting on... my soon to be patented only catch larger fish device is making its way from the cobwebs of my dreams into reality.

Thanks

Gary

metalmouth
05-15-2008, 10:12 AM
So FishWithGary now makes a Copper Kokanee Dodger with a rattle.
Any reports?

fishwithgary
05-15-2008, 02:26 PM
MM,
I can tell you I get a lot of orders for it. Especially from guys who want to keep it a secret. It is the Copper King Diamond Thunder. It has the typical Fish With Gary design, with a hammered copper willow blade out front. It has a remarkable rattle built into the dodger blade. The blade itself is very aggressive, yet virtually disappears when fighting the fish. The whole thing weighs in at slightly less than 1/2 oz. The blade design when accompanied by the FWG beads and spinner up front, give the blade a distinctive wobble that works the rattle. It can easily be trolled from low kokanee speeds to well above speeds for coho. This is definitely not your ordinary dodger. The blade design is the same design that was so successful last year at the Gorge.

Although it was designed for kokanee, all other species are hitting it hard, including kings and trout. Match it with the FWG Pink Thunder Lure and the combo is deadly. I have caught fish on that combo so far this season from surface to 65 feet.

So far very high praise from those at Berryessa and New Melones. It will also be ideal to target big kings at Don Pedro. BTW, Bullard's has not kicked in yet. The few that I have enticed up from the deep slumber have all been on the Copper King Diamond Thunder Dodger and Pink Thunder Lure. And this has been side by side with other reliable setups both from my FWG stuff, and some of my fellow tackle makers.

The copper blade and spinner are lacquered and with a simple rinse will last for years and years, maintaining high visibility in all parts of the water column.

I have plenty made up and ready to go for a swim. See it at www.fishwithgary.com under the section Copper King Dodgers, or call me at 530.265.5951.

Thanks

Gary

MankinD
05-17-2008, 04:01 PM
I have used the Diamond Thunder/pink thunder combo for trout on Melones in early March and trout and kokes at Berryessa last month. I'm more interested in fishing it later in the season as the fish go deeper. The copper will maintian color/flash/contrast where silver will only reflect the surrounding color causing it to blend in. No sense drawing them in with sound and vibration and not give every visual advantage once they are in proximity.

Doug

metalmouth
05-17-2008, 09:13 PM
If we are going deeper we'll have to get Gary to make it in Glow.

;D

fishwithgary
05-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Capn Crunch, and MM.
Have you guys been spying on me? :o
In the works very soon will be an addition to the SYSTEM 3 line. It will be a bit larger Diamond Thunder Blade, but will have abundant glow, and double glow willow blades up front, and of course an even larger rattle and rattle chamber. We are talking a real deep kokanee machine. I expect release in about a month - just in time. Stay tuned.

The Copper King Diamond Thunder Pink does very well at depth, and has a glow eye on each side, but the larger version with added glow will be for depths with minimum or no light.

Gary

metalmouth
05-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Gary,

I ran your Pink Power Dodger with a Pink Capt. Ken's Custom Mini Skirt this morning. 2 Limits of 6 fish in the boat by 8:15. I posted an Idaho Report on the Kokanee board. Thanks for making such a great product!

Don

fishwithgary
07-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Hi all,
Just thought I'd give a little update.
Have a customer in Wyoming who lives not far from the Gorge. He placed an order about 10 days ago. I just got a call from him that he landed a 5.2# koke on my FWG Darth Raider Dodger and Darth Raider Lure. He is not good with a camera sadly (he's a welder on gas pipelines). He said the kokes really hit the FWG tackle extra hard. Lots of fish - all in the 3-5# range.
I have received several similar reports of that kind of success with FWG Tackle.
8-)

Gary

fishwithgary
07-02-2008, 08:31 PM
More NEWS from the Gorge.

I just recieved this memo and photo from a customer who lives in Utah. This recounts the FG trip June 13.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/525/IMGP0698.JPG

"Gary, I made it to Flaming Gorge and used some of your tackle. You provided me with 1 complimentary Copper King Blue Dodger with corresponding lure. Well, that setup started the day off with the first three kokes out of 5 other setups until my non-fisherman buddy decided to cut the line and all the beads flew everywhere. That ended that. I will be needing more of those setups. I also used Chartreuse System 3 Dodger with corresponding lure and it produced a few nice ones as well. I like the System 3 size. It is more what I have had success on. I am going to get another order ready and send it over here in a day or 2. Here are a couple pics of our catch for the day. I think that Copper King Dodger design is gonna be a success for us. 90% of the guys I know fish the Gorge with Shasta Tackle or Rocky Mountain Tackle. I think your stuff being different will help us catch those fish that have seen the same setup trolled past their face a million times. Kody"

MankinD
07-02-2008, 08:40 PM
I think your stuff being different will help us catch those fish that have seen the same setup trolled past their face a million times. Kody"

That's my M.O. when they're under heavy pressure, show them something different.
What's the latest on the larger Diamond Thunder dodgers with glow?
And what's up with Bullards this season?

Doug

fishwithgary
07-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Capn Crunch,
The new larger Diamond Thunder Dodger may not make it to market this season. Too many projects it seems. You will be able to pick some up at the Sac ISE show next January.

As to Bullard's Bar: The class of 2006 kokanee fry did not survive after being tossed in Bullard's Bar Reservoir. It looks like there are abundant 2 year olds, but I will be back on the water at BB about July 15 after I get back from fishing in Alaska.

In that mid July BB outing I will be taking water temps at depth, examining stomach contents, seeing how much light at depth - all the things that help us understand what is going on. I will also be specifically targeting predator species, as they seem to have increased at BB. And 2 y.o. kokanee are prime targets for predators.

I'll be posting a report.

Gary

MankinD
07-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Thanks Gary, I look forward to your report on the situation at BB.

Doug