PDA

View Full Version : so, What's Up with Icehouse? Is the fire a factor?

Treebeard
04-21-2015, 07:24 AM
First, I want to make it clear that I know next to nothing about aquatic ecology, or anything really about fish. I could toss out a few facts about fire and forest ecology but would have to start guessing what you're talking about a few sentences into a conversation about it.

That said,... does anyone know what effect a huge fire like last year's has on water bodies lower down in the watershed?I suppose there weould be a chsnge in the quantity and type of food available; water temps would probably rise due to decreased shade; more sediment; less available nutrients (fewer animals eating things and redistributing them); and so on. But what's thew bottom line for fish in downstream lakes?

Take Icehouse for example. It looks unaffected, but I know that the next lake upstream, Wright's, had a black ash layer covering its bottom. There have been several FishSniffer reports about Icehouse this winter/spring, and they were mostly skunks. I've gone a few times recently (and have written a report for posting here every time - but most don't get all the way to the "sumbmit" button befor I either fall asleep or otherwise destroy by random mouse actions) and haven't had ny action. That's really unusual! The reason I started fishing at Icehouse more than 10 years ago was that it was accessible most of the winter, and the fishing was pretty good. I realize that things are naturally (and unnaturally) variable - but did the fire do something that affected Icehouse fishing?

TB

RacerX
04-21-2015, 09:45 AM
Union valley has been slow aswhile. IMO, I don't see the fire being the cause of slow fishing. I think the rhythm of the eco system is off, due to the change in the amount of water for this time of year, strange temperatures, and the declining DFG plants.

Duramax Dave
04-21-2015, 01:28 PM
i dont know about the fire effects but i fished icehouse saturday solo from 630-1 & caught 16 & kept 4 bleeders.. nothing huge but all in the 12-14 range..

Owlman2
04-21-2015, 03:18 PM
Establishing a cause and effect for when fishing is good or bad is very difficult. I have been trying to do it all my life and have gotten nowhere.

I too have had a couple of complete skunks at Icehouse this year, but UVR on the other hand just a week or so ago was absolutely on fire with planter bows around the dam area. I couldn't keep them off my line, which was too bad for me because I was fishing for smallmouth. I suspect my timing there coincided with a recent plant, because the fish were dumb and eager to bite anything thrown at them.

At any rate I'm not sure the fire is a factor...I have fished some other water that should have been more impacted, and the fishing there has been more or less normal.

Treebeard
04-21-2015, 10:28 PM
Ah, so now the positive posts come out ;-)
thanks, I needed that!

Good to hear about those. I haven't been to UVR yet this year - thought it was all closed as part of the fire closure area.

EDIT: now I see that has changed: King Fire Closure Lifted (http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/eldorado/alerts-notices/?aid=25128)

TB