PDA

View Full Version : CA FISH and WILDLIFE CHANGES

GoneCountry
01-20-2016, 08:16 PM
I know a lot of you may interpret this better than I what does it mean

https://www.facebook.com/CASportfishingLeague/photos/a.762328903788231.1073741828.758243424196779/1052479734773145/?type=3&theater

dsa2780
01-21-2016, 01:49 AM
With more and more fish and wildlife officials leaving that are actual outdoors people who fish and hunt and have an understanding of how nature actually works and how we should be able to interact with the wild resources, they're replaced by people that more or less are college degree holders who don't hunt or fish but have the qualifications to be in control of laws and regulations that impact us, the ones who actually fish and hunt *cough cough Marty Gingras**. People are appointed to positions by political figures and we all know what goes along with that, spread of the politicians policy through the institution.

As is said in the article, what people don't understand is that it us, the fishermen and hunters that put money back into the environment and local economies. With the shift of Fish and Wildlife towards a "more scientifically" based approach, you'll have more detached people like Marty dragging nets in the delta in July claiming "There's a population shortage of sturgeon, better regulate the fishery more" and native fish advocate groups taking stomach samples of stripers after a smolt drop in Rio Vista to support their study and paper that says "stripers and non native fish need to be eradicated since they heavily feed on salmonids". In turn, their research and company is probably being given some funding by an interest group that wants to get more water rights. You get the idea. Science can be skewed and used to falsify claims in order to change policies, that again, impact us, the fishermen and the species that we enjoy pursuit of. Nature isn't a museum, and that's exactly what a lot of people and politicians want it to become to our progressing society.

It doesn't take much of a degree to tell you that the valley rivers should be flowing above a dismal 500CFS during the fall salmon and steelhead spawns in order to not lose a multibillion dollar commercial and recreational fishing economy and the nutrients that salmon bring into the environment, throughout the year stripers prefer to cannibalize their own young and shad over salmonids, green sturgeon spawn better when there's high flow and their young aren't sucked into agricultural pumps...

Above all, it doesn't take a doctorates degree to understand that all forms of wildlife from the tinniest speck of phytoplankton, to river otter, to salmon, to blue heron to us as human beings, will degrade in quality of life when the delta tunnels are built and this valley and unique ecosystem is turned into an overpopulated dead zone of polluted saltwater.

If there were more fish and game people left like Peter Moyle, Red Bartley and a few others who actually understood this ecosystem from hunting and fishing it, maybe this place wouldn't be as much on its death bed as it is.

LineStretcher
01-21-2016, 09:47 AM
I know a lot of you may interpret this better than I what does it mean

https://www.facebook.com/CASportfishingLeague/photos/a.762328903788231.1073741828.758243424196779/1052479734773145/?type=3&theater

I can't dispute the factual information in this "Facebook" post but everything else in it is speculative in nature. If we look at it from a historical standpoint, I would have to say that California's wildlife conservation efforts have generally good intent but what they lack is proper risk management. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of "What if" mitigation and it seems that no one knows what to do when things don't go as planned.

dsa2780
01-27-2016, 09:33 PM
Was just thinking about this the other day for some reason. You know how there are tons of huge bass tournaments held in the delta every year? FLW, Bassmaster, and a ton more. It's a multimilllion if not billion dollar industry, and you have pros from all over the country fishing here and a lot of anglers that are even from the local norcal area that cut their teeth fishing the delta, but you don't see any of them or anyone in the pro bass industry advocating against the proposed delta tunnel plans. You have Bobby Barrack and a few local striper guides who share information online to get the word out, but for the most part, the industry ignores it. Frustrating to say the least, because the pros are the ones that can actually reach out to the wider population and spread the word to oppose what's going on to the waters in our state. I guess sponsors wouldn't be too happy to have their prostaff taking political sides, but even then, you'd think there would be some sort of promotion in the mix during all of these huge events.