PDA

View Full Version : Ice house?

FairplayChris
02-08-2016, 07:11 PM
Hey all!
I was thinking about fishing Ice house in the morning. Does anyone know if the lake freezes over? Is the Lake accessible?

Thanks!

-Chris

fishwrong2
02-09-2016, 02:05 PM
Was frozen over a week ago, with only small patches of open water. Might have more open patches now.

Road to the ramp was plowed but icy. Could probably make it with 2 wheel drive, but I wouldn't do it myself.

Great place to spend a day even if you can't fish.

I also assume it goes without saying the ice was NOT suitable to walk on. I did see tracks leading out on it a short ways. I assume whoever made them lived, but not because they're bright.

FairplayChris
02-09-2016, 07:10 PM
We made it to the boat launch just fine. The weather was awesome I even think I got a sunburn! Got 4 fish total, 2 right away approximately 7 am and 2 around noon. The lake is frozen near the dam and toward the back but in the middle it is open. I got a little ambitious thinking my Tacoma could make it on the road toward wrights lake and I got stuck. Fun times!

Treebeard
02-11-2016, 12:36 PM
I got a little ambitious thinking my Tacoma could make it on the road toward wrights lake and I got stuck. Fun times!
I had a Tacoma up until a few years ago - and got it stuck on the dirt road that goes from the Strawberry Point campground to the back of the lake - a couple of times.:duh:
..it's an easy thing to do :tears_of_joy:, there is always one hell of a hole somewhere this side of halfway back. Come to think of it, got stuck briefly in the snow trying to do that Wright's tie road once too... and pulled someone else out twice.

Good to hear the lake is partly clear. The paved main road is kept in pretty good shape by SMUD all winter, you don't have to wait very long after a snowfall to be able to drive it 2WD. Just be careful driving it at night, in any season - there is at least one section of road very near Icehouse where the road is straight then makes an easy curve eastward, but it doesn't inform your steering mechanism so if you aren't monitoring it :sleeping: the road will go left but your Tacoma won't.:seestars:
I like my "new" 2003 4WD Honda CRV**, it is more comfortable, gets nearly as good gas mileage, and with one back seat out has more room to sleep!:laugh:
Oh, and after the Spring unpaved road closures are lifted, I've been able to make it through that water trap: "sit down now Rose, it's a bumpitty street... ready... Big Bump! Wahoo!"

TB

**My insurance company considered the truck a total loss, and I was very pleased to get around $6,000 from them... especially when I found the CRV to replace it forabout $5,000!