PDA

View Full Version : Shad setup questions

lucky318
04-18-2016, 04:16 PM
Hello can someone recommend a setup for shad from a boat. Do you use two shad darts on seperate leaders a couple feet apart? Never fished for them on a boat Iam pretty lost here thanks for your help.

Cali Duck
04-19-2016, 02:13 PM
Bass Jack has your answers, I'd bookmark his site if you haven't already, a real wealth of knowledge for the Sacramento area:

http://bassjack.com/shad_tips.htm

dsa2780
04-19-2016, 02:27 PM
+1. Last year this rig was fire for whatever reason. We sat out in the fleet one day surrounded by people getting doubles and slaying them while our rods were untouched with the jigs tied directly. They were all using short 4"-6" leaders. Changed it up to this style and started getting bit. Tiny hooks for the grubs.

http://i.imgur.com/ytNtwfr.jpg

Might be different with more flow, but that worked good last year. Try one rod tied direct, one with the dropper leaders.

Brickinthewall98
04-19-2016, 02:32 PM
This is the way I do it and it's the best one for me out the the methods I tried. So you got your main line (6lb test or what ever) down to your weight of choice. Any where from 1-3 ounces. I have had days where the more vertical heavy one out fished the lighter set up. Now 12-15 inches above the weight I set a 6 inch leader line tied the main, connecting a curly grub on a bait holder or jig head to the main line. I'll Do that again going up with one or two more more little leader lines coming of my main.

Essentially it's a high low rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curtdogg81
04-28-2016, 10:59 AM
Bass Jack has your answers, I'd bookmark his site if you haven't already, a real wealth of knowledge for the Sacramento area:

http://bassjack.com/shad_tips.htm

Second this

BassJack
05-04-2016, 06:14 AM
Has anybody tried running a weightless grub off of a downrigger wire? Just curious, seems like it would be similar to the rig shown in the picture, but you wouldn't have the sinker to deal with once the fish is hooked. Would be a blast hooking shad on kokanee rods. Just wondering what depth or setback from the wire would be best. Some species are attracted to the hum of the wire...just thinking...

Brickinthewall98
05-04-2016, 03:37 PM
Has anybody tried running a weightless grub off of a downrigger wire? Just curious, seems like it would be similar to the rig shown in the picture, but you wouldn't have the sinker to deal with once the fish is hooked. Would be a blast hooking shad on kokanee rods. Just wondering what depth or setback from the wire would be best. Some species are attracted to the hum of the wire...just thinking...

I have thought of that before too. Don't have down riggers so can't try it but I bet it would work. I mean they are just shad lol

redneckpunk
05-04-2016, 03:50 PM
I think my only concern on a DR would be the release and ripping it out of the shads mouth. I know kokes have a frail mouth but my experience (only a couple shad landed) has been shad is even more frail. JMHO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk