PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with an air rifle (.22 cal pellet gun)

Nick145
06-10-2016, 09:52 AM
So I was reading the regs and I have a few questions. It is my understanding that I don't need a hunter's license to shoot vermin (gophers mice rats small birds) if they are casing destruction or property damage. Now it says I can hunt turkey with an air rifle as well. If the turkeys are tearing up my garden are they considered vermin? Or are they still game and require a hunting license and they must be in season to shoot?

Also since this is on private property can I even shoot them?

BigUnInDaBoat
06-10-2016, 10:03 AM
Have to wait until season to shoot turkeys. Even if they are tearing up your yard. You'll need a hunting license and an upland game bird stamp too. If you do not own the land you'll need written permission from the landowner to shoot them (In season of course)

Nick145
06-10-2016, 03:32 PM
Have to wait until season to shoot turkeys. Even if they are tearing up your yard. You'll need a hunting license and an upland game bird stamp too. If you do not own the land you'll need written permission from the landowner to shoot them (In season of course)

Wonderful. I'll pick up an updated reg book soon (mine is 2013) I foresee turkey soup in my future.

CRABBY
06-10-2016, 04:59 PM
So I was reading the regs and I have a few questions. It is my understanding that I don't need a hunter's license to shoot vermin (gophers mice rats small birds) if they are casing destruction or property damage. Now it says I can hunt turkey with an air rifle as well. If the turkeys are tearing up my garden are they considered vermin? Or are they still game and require a hunting license and they must be in season to shoot?

Also since this is on private property can I even shoot them?Why do you consider small birds "vermin" ??

Nick145
06-12-2016, 12:23 AM
Why do you consider small birds "vermin" ??

1 dfw does as well

2 the little ****s ate all my cherries in two days. I have 5 cherry trees. Had to be about 20lbs of cherries on those trees.

That being said I have no intention of shooting the birds on my property. I'm just going to net my trees next year. I was just summarising the list I found in my reg book.

CRABBY
06-12-2016, 05:37 AM
LOL,ya must of had a bunch of happy fat birds!!!Looked up vermin definition an it appears it's used to describe just about everything from ants to people,now ya got a new word to throw around,LOL......:help:

Nick145
06-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Looked up vermin definition an it appears it's used to describe just about everything from ants to people

pretty much. i even think if the quail were causing property damage they would count as vermin.

i can deal with losing my cherries, but i dont apreciate being **** on by the little birds. :action-smiley-082::signs165xk:

im actually thinking about getting some grouse for the property

anyways smog its nice to see youre still around. i haent seen too many of the old crowd in here. i spoke with okie saw captain compassion you and a few others but most of the posts seem to be from new blood.

IronClad
06-15-2016, 08:17 AM
Yeah you cant just start killing stuff like quail. You would have to apply for a depredation permit and prove that they are destroying something. Game animals will never be considered just vermin and you will have to have a permit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Nick145
06-15-2016, 08:55 AM
Yeah you cant just start killing stuff like quail. You would have to apply for a depredation permit and prove that they are destroying something. Game animals will never be considered just vermin and you will have to have a permit.

would they not fall under the small birds category in the vermin definition? thats fine. im not too worried about it. i can always pick up whatever i need to hunt them. im going to browse throught the regs online today and figure out what i can and can not hunt with the pellet gun. that being said i have only heard them i have yet to see any, unlike the turkey that was two feet from my window 20 minutes ago.

IronClad
06-15-2016, 09:18 AM
No they would not as they are a game animal. There is a non game section. Even blackbirds and starlings have a season.