PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me an all around river rod/reel set up

MOBBIN
09-30-2016, 03:38 AM
Im ready to start fishing the rivers and want to target stripers. So I am ready to start investing in a new set up for my new profound love for angling. Most of my poles I have are for ponds and bass.

Im looking into all around rod/reel set up mainly to casting lures. I prefer spinning but am open to bait casters. My price range is around $150. What can you guys recommend me? Would love to use the set up for Salmon if I ever get into it as well. I appreciate the info fish sniffers.

Seon
09-30-2016, 03:53 AM
This is a great all around reel for Stripers

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2199/2749607/24090149/407590649.jpg

Matched with an Ugly Stik BWD 1101. Can even fish for Sturgeon with this combo.

Price for both would be less than $150. You can spend more $$ but...why (?) .

dsa2780
09-30-2016, 08:48 AM
Casting lures as described by OP with that above combo would be near impossible. Bait fishing yeah it'd work.

OP, I'd look into a Shimano Clarus 7'-7'6" MH spinning rod and an Abu Garcia Cardinal, Ora S or Daiwa Revros reel. Those reels are all great "mid range budget reels". If you have more to spend on a spinning reel, know guys swear by the Shimano Stradic.

If you want to use that combo for salmon, look into the 8'6" Clarus. It'll run you like $100. Or the Okuma SST for a bit less. Good lightweight modern setups for throwing hardware off the bank

AnglingWes
09-30-2016, 11:03 AM
Agree w dsa 100%. Another killer rod option is No8. They are a new company, but make some of the highest quality budget rods available. I have been using one of their flipping rods for Lingcod all season.

-not a paid endorsement, just honest review.-

MOBBIN
10-04-2016, 02:52 AM
I appreciate the comment guys! Thank you

DSA2780 - appreciate the set up the recommendation and I am also impressed with the info you share on these boards. I am taking notes and Thank you. If you can help me with another set up recommendation.

An all around bait caster set up for casting lures. I plan on using this set up for everything. Rivers, lakes and ponds. Off the bank and on a kayak.

I started out with a Abu Garcia Black Maxx/Vigilante '7 Medium and man Im just frustrated with the inconsistent casting and backlashing. I can't seem to set it up correctly and its really annoying. I feel like just giving up on the set up. But I am willing to give it another try by spending more to get it right. I really want to like bait casters. Shoot me an all around recommendation around $150-200

If anyone else can chime in as well, I appreciate the knowledge. Thank you.