View Full Version : Bass pros is buying Cabelas for 5.5 Billion

stefanoflo
10-15-2016, 09:27 PM
here is the Article
wonder how that will change things
http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/03/news/companies/bass-pro-shops-cabelas/

Fish-on
10-16-2016, 11:51 AM
From what I have heard this has been in the works for a long time....couple of years or so. In northern CA we only have Bass Pro so I don't honk it will change too much for us. In other areas of the country where there are stores located in the same city or really close you might see some closings.

Wonder if cabelas is going to start carrying red head gear which I think is crap especially their waders

wing_nutt3
10-18-2016, 06:17 AM
I agree, that was the rumor for the last two years. I was just surprised at the size of the deal.

anyways, I like Cabela's better. I think they adhere to the hunter/fisherman and BP adheres to the all around city outdoorsman.

lund16
10-18-2016, 06:34 AM
Lack of competition will only hurt us in the long wrong.

dthome
10-18-2016, 05:59 PM
Cant stand bass pro.

TexWalker
10-19-2016, 06:54 AM
I was in bass pro the other day and walked through looking at their fishing rods. Do they even stock non-BassPro rods any more??? All I saw were cheap, poorly made BPS rods. I was disappointed.

Owlman2
10-19-2016, 09:46 AM
Bass Pro IMHO definitely does not live up to their potential. I mean it is cool to go in a couple of times to look at the fish tank, the general spectacle, or to buy a trinket for a gift exchange.

But if you actually want to buy fishing gear....or shooting gear....or almost anything "real"....there are vastly better options.

Grncrestliner
10-19-2016, 10:08 AM
Interesting that most on here seem to prefer Cabelas over Bass Pro. I really do not care which one I buy from they both have good points as well as bad. Apparently however Bass Pro has been profitable and lately Cabelas has not. Maybe Bass Pro does better in other areas than they do here but if Johnny can buy Cabelas he must be doing something right.

I use Tackle Warehouse or Sportsman's a lot more anyway.

Jfitalia
10-19-2016, 04:27 PM
I was in bass pro the other day and walked through looking at their fishing rods. Do they even stock non-BassPro rods any more??? All I saw were cheap, poorly made BPS rods. I was disappointed.

Depends on which one you go to. The Rocklin one has some good stuff, and a great selection of tuna sticks ranging from Phenix, Penn, Calstar and seeker.

It's also important to remember that mark up and rods and reels is very minimal. Companies don't make a ton of money on those items. The biggest profit is in terminal tackle.

Jfitalia
10-19-2016, 04:28 PM
If you're buying rods and reels in a retail store, you're doing it all wrong. Plenty of better deals on ebay.

TexWalker
10-20-2016, 06:39 AM
JFit, I build my own rods from blanks that I purchase online for significantly cheaper. I am just making a point.

joez3
10-21-2016, 08:29 AM
This summer my wife and I did a road camping trip. We were in the black hill of SD and found that we forgot a few things. So we went to the Cables in Raipd City the next day. I felt like this store was going out of business. We were looking for a woman's jacket and couldn't find anything, I mean nothing, not even a men's jacket. The fishing aisle, and I do mean aisle, had a smaller selection than a Big5. The rest of the store seemed to empty also.
We stopped at a store in Idaho, this store was stocked, but no one was in it.
Not sure who came up with putting these stores in these markets, but they should at least do some market research and support them.

brandonh5
10-27-2016, 10:02 PM
Still have not checked out Cabelas. I did like Scheels though.

BIG_ONE
10-28-2016, 11:55 AM
"Bass" Pro Shops...it's heaven for bass fisherman.

michaelnel
10-28-2016, 12:20 PM
Bass Pro has turned into the Walmart of the sporting goods industry. Buy cheap junk dirt cheap in China, brand it as their own BPS brand and sell it here to idiots at inflated prices.

Mark-C
10-31-2016, 01:33 PM
Bass Pro has gone down hill IMHO. So much of what they sell has that ridiculous yellow emblem stamped on it. Looks CHEAP!