PDA

View Full Version : Important Pyramid Tagged Fish Info

TghtLin
11-12-2016, 12:56 AM
I recently caught my first tagged fish at Pyramid Lake, NV and had no idea about its procedures. I asked around about the tagged fish procedures. I got a lot of conflicting answers from people and the internet. So I went to the source, the USFWS employee in charge of the program. Here is what I learned.

The tags are called Floy Tags and are placed at the Dorsal fin.

The tags come in 4 different colors.

There are 2 numbers on the tag; a telephone number and a six digit tag number. The telephone number printed on the tag is 775-861-6355. It is the Fisherman’s Hot Line. You call the telephone number and leave voice message with a handful of information – see the below Reporting Tagged Fish Information.

There is no reward money given for a Pyramid Fish Floy Tag (I know some floy tags do. I got money for my Eagle Lake tags back in the day). But I confirmed the Pyramid fish tags don’t.

The information gathered from this tagged fish program helps keep Pyramid’s fishery healthy.

If the fish is not a legal fish to keep (under 17” or 21” – 24”) you still must release the fish even though it is tagged. Follow the below Releasing the Fish Procedures.

Releasing the Fish Procedures
If you are going to (or have to) release the fish; do the following;
-LEAVE THE TAG IN THE FISH and note the tag’s color and six digit tag number.
-Measure the FORK length of the fish – see diagram.
-Release the fish fully revived so it has a good chance of living to be caught again. Getting multiple reading from the fish’s floy tag is rare valuable information.
-Call the Fisherman’s Hot Line with the below additional information. Don’t bother give the information to the Pyramid Creel Station. They are not the Stewart of the information.

Keeping the Fish Procedures
If you are keeping the fish;
-Call the Fisherman’s Hot Line with the tag color, six digit tag number, and FORK length. There is no need to mail in the tag etc.

Reporting Tagged Fish Information
You will leave a voice message on Fisherman’s Hot Line (775-861-6355). They ask for the following information:

Name:
Phone #:
Email Address:
Date Fish Caught:
Color and Tag #:
Length (Fork Length, not Total):
Body of Water & Location:
Fishing from Boat or Shore:
Was fish Kept or Released:

They are supposed to email you back with the info about your tagged fish (date & size it was released).

Hope this helps. Fish On

hooks
11-12-2016, 06:37 AM
I recently caught my first tagged fish at Pyramid Lake, NV and had no idea about its procedures. I asked around about the tagged fish procedures. I got a lot of conflicting answers from people and the internet. So I went to the source, the USFWS employee in charge of the program. Here is what I learned.

The tags are called Floy Tags and are placed at the Dorsal fin.

The tags come in 4 different colors.

There are 2 numbers on the tag; a telephone number and a six digit tag number. The telephone number printed on the tag is 775-861-6355. It is the Fisherman’s Hot Line. You call the telephone number and leave voice message with a handful of information – see the below Reporting Tagged Fish Information.

There is no reward money given for a Pyramid Fish Floy Tag (I know some floy tags do. I got money for my Eagle Lake tags back in the day). But I confirmed the Pyramid fish tags don’t.

The information gathered from this tagged fish program helps keep Pyramid’s fishery healthy.

If the fish is not a legal fish to keep (under 16” or 21” – 23”) you still must release the fish even though it is tagged. Follow the below Releasing the Fish Procedures.

Releasing the Fish Procedures
If you are going to (or have to) release the fish; do the following;
-LEAVE THE TAG IN THE FISH and note the tag’s color and six digit tag number.
-Measure the FORK length of the fish – see diagram.
-Release the fish fully revived so it has a good chance of living to be caught again. Getting multiple reading from the fish’s floy tag is rare valuable information.
-Call the Fisherman’s Hot Line with the below additional information. Don’t bother give the information to the Pyramid Creel Station. They are not the Stewart of the information.

Keeping the Fish Procedures
If you are keeping the fish;
-Call the Fisherman’s Hot Line with the tag color, six digit tag number, and FORK length. There is no need to mail in the tag etc.

Reporting Tagged Fish Information
You will leave a voice message on Fisherman’s Hot Line (775-861-6355). They ask for the following information:

Name:
Phone #:
Email Address:
Date Fish Caught:
Color and Tag #:
Length (Fork Length, not Total):
Body of Water & Location:
Fishing from Boat or Shore:
Was fish Kept or Released:

They are supposed to email you back with the info about your tagged fish (date & size it was released).

Hope this helps. Fish On

Thanks for posting this.

What are the four colors? Why do they need four colors?

All the tagged cutts I've caught at Pyramid were green. No mention of the fish tagged with a chip?

The slot sizes listed are wrong for Pyramid. Under 17" must be released. 20" to 24" must be released. Cutts 17" to 20" you can keep two.

Only one Cutt over 24" may be kept and counts as one of the two fish limit.

I understand in part as to why there is confusion with different anglers. Is part of your post a copy and paste from USFWS?

Thanks.

TghtLin
11-12-2016, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the input. Yeah can only keep one or two of 17"-20" and one 24"+ for a total of 2 fish. I did not write that well... updated to read better.

The picture shows the 4 colors. I know the picture is small, it was the best I could find. Don't know why 4 colors.

No nothing is copy and pasted.

I chose to focus on the Floy Tags...

Maxumfishin
11-14-2016, 06:32 PM
Good info. Thanks! On our last trip we caught a green tagged 16" Cutt but the tag was so degraded I couldn't see any numbers on it. I felt it was more important to get the fish back in the water. Swam away to grow up to a 30 pounder.