PDA

View Full Version : Ice House or UVR

toomanyhobbies
11-14-2016, 07:31 AM
So I picked myself up a nice little 14 footer yesterday. Weather next weekend looks iffy but the kids are itching to go out. Looking for some input on which Crystal Basin lake would work best this time of year. I'm brand new the boat game so either way I've got a steep learning curve. Any tips for a new troller would also be greatly appreciated.

fishwrong2
11-14-2016, 12:51 PM
Best advice I can give is keep it simple.

A night crawler threaded on a hook 18" behind a small dodger catches as many rainbows as anything else. Put the boat in gear and the rig in the water. Troll slow and watch the dodger. If it dodges side to side let it out 150' behind the boat and you're in business. If it spins out of control slow down. If the boat wont slow any further, get rid of the dodger/crawler and use a small rapala or rebel crawdad (or one of a hundred other lures of your choice that run correctly at higher speed).

Union Valley and Ice House have both been stocked with rainbows and either should give up a few. A lot of bigger fish went in yhis year, but there were fewer than prior years so expectations should be the same. Trolling 50' or so off the banks near inlets is a good option at either lake. Also don't be affraid of pulling up to the bank and dunking worms or power bait. Lets the kids get out and about if their bored, or wind makes boat control an issue.

Not sure if the gate to Sunset at Union Valley is still open, but if not, the dam is open year round.

Good luck if you go.

toomanyhobbies
11-14-2016, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the dodger tip. Wouldn't have crossed my mind to check the action close to the boat. Didn't think about sunset closing either. Probably do Ice House and avoid the extra drive

Who knee
11-14-2016, 05:14 PM
Went to uvr last week and sunset is open. Caught everything on needlefish on the surface. Out in the middle of the lake. You can see all the fish surfacing so I just troll through them. Headed out there tomorrow too. We will see how it goes.

Maxumfishin
11-14-2016, 06:07 PM
I'll be there too, in the rain from what I hear. Orange or green wedding-ring with threaded worm 100-150 feet back at 1.4- 1.7 mph. Your smart phone can help you if you don't have a fish finder yet. Not the most accurate but it will get you in the area. Needle fish will definitely pick up a few. Save a few for us.

PacNav215
11-29-2016, 03:54 PM
What color dodger's do you find work best? Thx -r

toomanyhobbies
11-29-2016, 08:47 PM
Silver and chartreuse work on the micro flashers and dodgers