PDA

View Full Version : Collins Water Conditions

monkey916
12-26-2016, 04:11 PM
Got a buddy that would like to take his grand kids bait dunking for trout at Collins while their on Christmas break... Can't find any recent reports on water conditions... Still to muddy..? Any info is appreciated... Can also just shoot me a pm if that's better for you...

Grncrestliner
12-26-2016, 04:30 PM
OK this report is for Monkey only. LOL I launched around noon just because I could. The lake level is 4.5' from full and about the same visibility as last week. I stood on the dock to try to get my best guess for visibility and I would say 2'+ at the dock but once again a little murkier in other locations. Water temperature in the shade at noon was 50 degrees and on the east side by 3 PM it was 52+. I bass fished for the first hour or so and lost a couple but landed 1 fish at 15". I then decided to troll for trout and landed one 2 pound fish on a Firetiger Rapala and one 12" fish on Purpledescent. I got too cold to stay out much past 3 so I came home. So three fish total for a little over 3 hours of fishing. Lots of people fishing from the shore and I have no idea how they did. The shore anglers can do better than the trollers this time of year when the water is off color like it is now. Both of my trout were in less than 20' of water along the east bank. I released all of the fish today.

You know you could just call me with specific questions if you want to.

ampm
12-27-2016, 04:54 PM
+1on the shore fishing there in the winter. Just put a lot of garlic on whatever you are using. Fish can be pretty close to shore like 10-20 ft out so no need to throw your rig 50 yards out into deep water.

Grncrestliner
12-27-2016, 06:44 PM
Hey ampm a certain mutual friend is not going to like you giving away her secrets. LOL She is not up there as much as she used to be but I did see her a couple of days ago on the swim beach.

ampm
12-27-2016, 06:57 PM
Hey ampm a certain mutual friend is not going to like you giving away her secrets. LOL She is not up there as much as she used to be but I did see her a couple of days ago on the swim beach.

Hey at least i didnt give away her super secret orange power bait.

Grncrestliner
12-27-2016, 08:31 PM
Yeh but the secret to the power bait is it has to be a new jar per week. No old stuff.

kightboy
12-28-2016, 09:40 PM
Collins this morning - no-one there at 7:30 but the two of us. About 40 people were there by 10am, scattered down the shore from the swim beach to the dam so it wasn't crowded anywhere.
Three guys even perched on the side of the dam but no luck over there. Looked like they caught a lot of boulders. It's VERY steep with terrible footing = dangerous.

Water is lapping at the shoreline. Another good rain or two and the water looks like it will get up to the spillway and go over - it'll take about 4 or 5 more feet.

It's great to see the lake full.

There is still car access down next to the end of the dam and the water was surprisingly clear considering all the recent rain. I'd guess at about 3 to 4 feet of visibility.

I was there from 7:30 until 1:30 and saw 5 fish caught. These were all 2 and 3 pound fish. Didn't see any small ones except for one 10" trout that we saw landed by a trolling boat in front of the dam.
As expected, the fish were no further out than a 40 foot cast from shore and looked to be 15 to 20 feet deep. I personally caught 3 of the 5 that were landed. :tears_of_joy:

Everyone out there was using power bait but I caught my first one on a nightcrawler and then switched my powerbait rod to worms so both rods had crawlers on a #8 baitholder hook - standard sliding sinker rig and then caught the other two.

We had two more that bit off half of a worm and left without grabbing the hook so, if I get up there again, I'll use mini crawlers so they don't have so much dangling worm to grab.
It was chilly at first (38 degrees) and then a nice warm sunny day after about 10am (54 degrees).

It's not mountain-man solitude with a 3 or 4 mile hike (which I prefer) but it was relaxing and pleasant to sit there and catch fish for a few hours with a good friend.

This fish weighed 3 pounds and was full of eggs that I am eating tonight as caviar after curing them in brine. Yum. I would have tossed her back but she was hooked pretty badly and bleeding from the gills.
Very pretty fish.
Chris