PDA

View Full Version : Downrigger ball and flasher

CrappieJed
01-29-2017, 02:39 AM
How many of you directly put your flasher/dodger to the downrigger ball?

how and why? Any success?

michaelnel
01-29-2017, 04:27 AM
I have some Vance's downrigger flashers. Tried them 2-3 times, never caught a fish while they were on. You do have to run a very short dropback with them, like 10-12 feet, but it's never worked for me.

QueenAnnesRevenge
01-29-2017, 06:21 AM
Works great for landlocked kings and mackinaw.
Not for trout or kokes as you'll be using a longer set back. Also you'll want to run your ball on a snubbed to get your line away from the ball trolls

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

michaelnel
01-29-2017, 06:33 AM
I do use 24" snubbers to the weight to keep the trolls from fouling the line. Need to lower the downrigger slowly too.

Koke Machine83
01-29-2017, 07:28 AM
Please Check Out Vance's Cannon Ball Trolls on Video... Great learning curve for someone new... Yes, I have had great success using these method. Like he states in the video. I'm Only 2 to 3' above the downrigger weight. I usually stay 2 to 5' behind the last blade. A side note: Don't drop the weight to fast, as the flashers will come up into you fishing line. All of Vance's Videos on trolling are Great Starting Points. Hope this Helps... Robbie (Koke Machine)...

http://www.vancestackle.com/howtovideos/howtovideos.html

CrappieJed
01-29-2017, 08:16 AM
I too have tried those things with little success as well. Nice videos entertaining, the large flashers directly to the ball for as I can see works but not for shallow trolling. Need get away from the motor noise deeper the better. For slime rockets this would be good since their usually always deep. Would never work on trophy Browns. For those days I take family fishing on Pedro, Melones, McClure bass lake for regular plants I'm thinking of ways make it funner and easier for them.

michaelnel
01-29-2017, 10:00 AM
Vance's videos are primarily designed to sell products.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;-)