PDA

View Full Version : Downrigger rod line type for trout and weight question

Joey805
02-13-2017, 12:02 PM
Hey all,

Just set up a pair of manual scotty downriggers with 150# braid and Chamberlain releases. I picked up two Shimano Talora TLA70ML (7' / Med. Light / Mod. Fast / 8 - 15 lbs) rods with paired Daiwa Accudepth ADP17LCB reels. Now it's time to spool my reels up but I've read through so much info that it's making my head spin as far as which route to take.

I'm fishing in the eastern sierra (june lake loop, convict, crowley, bridgeport, ect) for trout. I typically troll needle-fish, Tasmanian devils, Dodger +crawler, rapalas, ect.

Should I fill the reels with mono or braid, and what size?

Last couple years up there I have been using 18# leadcore with 8# p-line floroclear with decent results. Just not sure if I need the line stretch of mono or not with these setups?

Also, what size downrigger weights should I plan on using? I typically fish 30-90 feet at around 1.5 mph? I picked up a couple 8# balls to start with but will these be enough or to heavy? I don't want to go overkill so my arms are killed after cranking these up all day.

Thanks in advance for the help.

ampm
02-13-2017, 12:52 PM
I use Maxima Green mono 8# for trout and kokes, you want some stretch. A friend uses 10# and he has good results also. Since you are using your DRs, you won't need the lead core.

I use both 8# and 10# balls, the heavier you go the less blowback there is and yes, if you are using manual drs your arm getting tired of cranking.

QueenAnnesRevenge
02-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Pick up 2 shuttle hawks
You won't have to bring.your balls up to check your lure or after catching a fish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Waterdog
02-13-2017, 03:03 PM
I use 6 to 8lb mono p-line. I use mono because it stretches if you use braid or a fluoro there's no stretch and it tends to rip the lure out of their mouth. I realize the rod tip helps hook the fish too, but the combo of mono and the rod tip does a great job hooking and and keeping the fish hooked. This is especially true for kokes with their soft mouth.
I personally use 10lb dr weights. I have 6lb and 8lb but I like 10lb best because I get less blowback with the heavier weight and therefore more accurate depth. But since you have manual dr's probably better to go with 8lb or even 6lb and deal with the blowback.
Too late now but I suggest that as soon as you can afford electric dr's get some. You will be glad when you do.

Jetspray
02-13-2017, 03:05 PM
Pick up 2 shuttle hawks
You won't have to bring.your balls up to check your lure or after catching a fish

I am with you on this one the hawks are great the only thing I did was modify mine with a different release (mepps) and put a couple of holes in them past the "L" and install a DUO LOC large snap in those to keep from loosing the hawks due to actions by the operator or the water coloumb............Jetspray

BigUnInDaBoat
02-13-2017, 05:21 PM
8-10 lb mono of your choice.

Joey805
02-14-2017, 10:37 AM
Thanks guys. Sounds like mono is the way to go.

I also picked up two shuttlehawks.

Jetspray
02-14-2017, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys. Sounds like mono is the way to go.

I also picked up two shuttlehawks.I prefer Suffix 832 for a main line, superbraids are stronger and newer lines do not have problems the older lines had. Today I caught a 4 1/2 + lb rainbow at Topaz using Nanofil 8 lb braid with a 6 lb floro leader attached to a Spro swivel. But I must admit I was not using DR's as most of the fish were in the top 25 feet of water.........Jetspray