PDA

View Full Version : What to catch?

Phinger28
12-30-2008, 11:54 PM
What other fish do you target when fishing for carp and cats is slow?

Carpopath
12-31-2008, 08:33 AM
I still fish for carp, Its a bit more achievment if you get one in the cold ;D

Jeff213
12-31-2008, 02:58 PM
I go fishing for steelhead and wild trout (catch and release of course). You have to be a lot more careful handling them though, and steelhead are a lot harder to catch than carp. At least in my experience.

CJC
12-31-2008, 03:18 PM
I still fish for carp, Its a bit more achievment if you get one in the cold ;D
What kind of conditions/structures do you target them in when it is this cold. The lakes in my area have water in the high 40s at night so none of the fish are very active now and there is no good trout fishing in the South Bay.

Phinger28
01-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Yes, how do you fish for carp in the cold. Do you use the same techniques and fish the same waters? The place i like to go has carp jumping nonstop in the spring and fall, but my last trip there in NOV there were no fish to be seen.

Carpopath
01-12-2009, 08:25 AM
The basic tactics are still the same, but you tend to use smaller baits and where chumming is allowed you use a lot less than you would when they are really feeding keeping it close as you can to your hookbait. Main thing is locating them in winter as they dont always move around much, when and if they do feed it can be for a very short time so you may have to fish a lot with no action to get these two things to coincide. As far as structure?features pretty much same as normal edges of weed beds and reeds and if you can find an area that gets the most sun from morning onwards that is shallow without a cold wind blowing into it they sometimes move into these type of spots, dont mean they feed there though ;D but its a good area to hope one will :) The choice of water to fish is down to several reasons other than the usuall where you can/will travel to, if you fish a water with a lower stock density it is going to be harder if not impossible especially if its a larger place, if you just want to catch you fish small ponds that are known to have lots of carp in this is the easy end of the scale but if you want to get a big one, in small well stocked ponds they are an exception to the rule usually.

Phinger28
01-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Do you know of any good ponds that have a good population or carp around the sacramento area. I usually fish for them in the river but would like to try in a pond if there are any good ones around.

MB_Kevin
01-12-2009, 08:17 PM
I sent you a PM Phinger28. ;)

UltraFace
01-15-2009, 01:26 AM
Carpopath do you catch many carp during the winter? I tried again today but failed.

Carpopath
01-15-2009, 06:56 AM
Ultraface, as ive tried to point out a lot of it depends where your fishing, in my case i usually dont fish the places with lots more smaller ones i'm happy sitting it out for a bigger one even if i dont catch, so in my case i dont usually get a lot in winter but the ones you do get are more rewarding if you like, although the carp die off at clear lake will have put paid to it for a while i did a sesion for 3 days straight there in the winter once and caught loads including some over 20lbs, i think it was one of them times the planets lined up just right ;D have also had some succes on the delta. If you are fishing a place with higher numbers of fish keep at it eventually one will slip up, keep the bait appearing where they will find.