PDA

View Full Version : Sonoma 9/27: Cats with Longshot ****Pics Added****

riverboi
10-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Well I'm no story teller like Knotgillty but we had a crazy night so I'll try. This is going to be a LONG post cause alot of crazy things happened that night. Pics will come soon, need to get them off my camera. First thing, all fish were released.

Me and Longshot went out to Sonoma to pull an all nighter do some catfishing, we got to the spot and Longshot has casts his lines out, I'm cleaning up the back of the boat and I see him set the hook. Not even 5 minutes in with the sun still up he brings an... 8-11? lb'er to the boat. My memory is fuzzy on the weights and numbers so Longshot might have to correct me. So I say "alright fine, cast out then clean the boat..." I cast out and few minutes later Longshot is jumping up and setting the hook again. This time the fight lasts a bit longer and he brings up a 15.14 lb cat with crushers that almost snapped my pliers when getting the hook out lol.

So thats 2 big cats before sunset and I'm starting to think "what the hell, Longshot really is a fish magnet at Sonoma." For the last couple weeks Ive really been in a slump in all kinds of fishing so I figured I was due for some luck. So it's after dark now and this houseboat comes in and cruises right over Longshots line and anchors about 30 feet from us and casts out some poles... the lack of respect of some people... Its pitch black so we cant see the people on the boat but the girl on it starts talking to us and by her voice she sounded like she'd had a few and was very "friendly." Longshot looks over to me and says "He brings his lady out and she ends up talking to the only other boat on the lake..." lol.

So we move spots and try some deeper water and instantly longshot pulls in a dink around 2-3 lbs but no luck after so we move back closer to our previous spot. Fired up the bbq and cooked some hot dogs and hamburgers... its getting late and im dozing off when I hear Longshot jump up and say "he took my $%#@*! pole in the water!" I shine the light in the water and see his pole slowly swimming off below the surface. So we go around on the trolling motor for half and hour looking for the pole or fish or line and Im thinking "this guy really is a fish magnet. Were doing the same things in the same spots and hes getting all the fish."

So we couldnt find it and we fish some more an I think longshot hooks into another 8 lb. and its wrapped around a tree and not moving so we go in and he drops down a sinking crank in front of its face and the cat chomps it, then he cuts the line on the catfish pole and brings the catfish up on the crank pole... smart guy that longshot is.

So now Im just accepting the fact that Longshot owns Sonoma, I say to him "okay Im gonna cast real shallow and give that a try" So I cast out, put my rod in the holder and sit down. 5 seconds later i look at my line and Longshot is looking at it too with a look of question on his face. I say "my line isnt sinking, maybe im on top of some weeds or something." So i start to reel... "nope Im snagged... wait... fish on!" So the fish is putting up *good fight, peeling drag off my Baitrunner and then about 15 feet from the boat it stops moving and I'm pulling hard but it just stops moving and theres nothing to snag on. So we shine the light and I pull it to the surface and Longshot spots another line coming out of its mouth heading in the other direction. So I was playing a tug o' war between Longshots lost snagged pole and me. So we go over to the cat and bring it on the boat, I think it was an 8-10lb and then we follow Longshots line and get his pole back from 6 feet under. The cat had totally swallowed Longshot's hook by then and was bleeding all over the place and puffing out huge clouds of blood in the water so we figured it was as good as dead, tied it to the boat so he could bring it to his grandma.

We caught a couple more I think without anything crazy happening, and the TOUGH catfish that we thought was dead? He started pulling the boat around about an hour later, that tough little guy made a full recovery and we let him go. *Fun, crazy night with longshot, caught alot of cats, Im not positive on the number I think 6 big ones, 8+ and the big one being that 16 lber. I knew I was due for some luck... but on that cast catching the catfish and Longshot's forsaken pole i used it all up. Im sure ill be back in a slump for a while now. Thanks for reading and maybe Longshot remembers the numbers better than I do. ;D

metalmouth
10-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Great post! Pretty cool catching your lost rod back with another fish out of the shallows. Catching the snagged fish with another rod and a crank bait is a stroke of genius as well. That was a great read. Thanks for sharing.

MM

knotgillty
10-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Good job on the catches man. Thanks for sharing

shadbuster
10-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Great post, I would have thought a catfish dragging a pole around would be done feeding for the night, guess not.

riverboi
10-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Great post, I would have thought a catfish dragging a pole around would be done feeding for the night, guess not.

We thought the same thing, we joked around saying "what if" but didnt expect it to happen. The part that has us confused is that... when we got close to the fish with the boat we noticed my hook was barely hooked on his poles line. But the fish was fighting hard cutting and running and peeling off drag so my hook had to be solid in its mouth at one point. And the other weird part is the hookup, it didnt look like I had a fish, maybe my hook went over his line in the water... then when I started reeling it slid down the line and hooked the fish in the mouth and then he took off. Dont really know how it happened, but it probably used up all my fishing luck for the rest of 2008.

longshot
10-01-2008, 12:51 PM
WE WANT PICTURES ;)
I think that sounds about right!!! Fun azzz crazy night of catfishing. The totals sound right to me!!!! You know its good when you cant go to sleep ;D
Do it again soon!!!
LS
P.S> lets go catch some bass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FishbucketII
10-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Way to go RB & LS
Sounded like a fun night !
I'll be out there weekend after this, might have to stay out all night.. :D

fishingfan
10-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Do they allow bank fishing at night on Sonoma? If so, where along the lake? Let me know. Thanks! :D

Hooked Up
10-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Great story. I could picture it well. Well RB, sound like you still had fun anyway.....and LS, sounds like you always have fun. That sinking crank move was a "born to fish" move.....and getting the stick back in the end was proof. Good job guys.

SCsurfcaster
10-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Awesome story!

Diego916
10-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Who says you aren't good at telling a story?!? What a night! Nights like that one become legend. Wish I were there!

riverboi
10-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Here are the pics.. sorry they are late!!!

Longshot with the one 5 mins after casting -.-
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3509/01ja9.jpg

The fish cat-handling longshot 5 mins later :(
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5275/02ih7.jpg

The 16 lb
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/8263/03tb1.jpg

Finally....
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4316/04ml8.jpg

I need bigger seats in my boat to accomodate the cats....
http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/8894/05xf4.jpg

This guy again *>:(....
http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/1758/06ol2.jpg

knotgillty
10-21-2008, 07:33 AM
I like the bendo picture with the rod in the water. *Those are the moments I love.

Is that one of those new carrot sticks (rod made partially from carrot fibers)? *Probably not, but very cool if it is. http://news.crazyfisherman.com/2007/11/carrot-stix-fishing-rod-is-now.html

Nice fish & thanks for the pics *

mrsockeye
10-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Awesome report man! You are truely a superstar in my book. I'm getting all jittery just reading this report and looking at the pics. Cats are long done over here, the water is just to cold. When does the guide service open?

Globetrouter
10-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Awesome report man! *You are truely a superstar in my book. *I'm getting all jittery just reading this report and looking at the pics. *Cats are long done over here, the water is just to cold. *When does the guide service open?

Put my name on that list! You got it dialed in! Congrats!! [smiley=clap.gif]

riverboi
10-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Awesome report man! *You are truely a superstar in my book. *I'm getting all jittery just reading this report and looking at the pics. *Cats are long done over here, the water is just to cold. *When does the guide service open?

Put my name on that list! You got it dialed in! Congrats!! [smiley=clap.gif]

Thanks everyone, and the answer to your question... how long does it take to get a guide's license? *;D

Yeah me and longshot have them dialed in I guess... now we just have to figure out why these certain spots work well... then well be able to look for better spots.

And Sockeye, remember earlier this year I was like... "help!!!" cause i'd been trying to catch a cat for months without luck. You PM'd me and gave me a bunch of advice, so anytime youre in the Healdsburg area let me know, me and longshot will take you out. We only have one rule... no keeping the big mamas!