PDA

View Full Version : Catfish Drifting

Gville_Honker
09-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Howdy Guys and Gals,

I was hoping someone could give me a quick and dirty on catfish drifting. *I ususally fish Amador but, recently I have had a resident skunk on the old vessel. *Any tips or techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Thank GH.

MB_Kevin
09-22-2008, 07:52 PM
I think KnotGillty would be a good one to ask if he don't reply.

Jeff213
09-22-2008, 11:16 PM
my tip would be to shoot the skunk through the lungs so he doesnt spray ;)

Gville_Honker
09-23-2008, 11:25 AM
That's it, the Benelli's comin' with next time. ;D

SetTheHookMinistry
09-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Ask KnotGuilty

Jeff213
09-23-2008, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't recommend a shotgun on skunks. *I would go with an air rifle shooting at least 15 foot pounds, or even a .22 and go for the heart/lung shot. *If you shoot a skunk in the head it will spray. *If you don't get a clean kill it will spray.

If you want to drift for catfish I would go with a live shad with a small split shot (1/4 ounce ish).

Live shad work well for catfish if you can get your hands on some of them. *Are you drifting amador? *The delta? Somewhere else?

Gville_Honker
09-25-2008, 11:19 AM
I wanted to start drifting Amador to see if I could have some better luck. Thanks for the info.

Diego916
09-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Locating the channels in Amador is tough. I haven't been able to establish a pattern, location, depth, time of year, or type of cover. I'd drift fishguts on a big circle hook with little or no weight. Try every cove and different depths. Ken ariderfreak had some success there. Do a search for his post. It was a few years ago.

knotgillty
09-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Drifting essentials:

*Drift sock: *I tie a rope across both cleats at the rear of the boat and attach a drift sock to the center of it. *Let the wind blow your boat. *With a drift sock at the back of the boat, your boat will not turn sideways as you drift.

*Circle hooks: *Use a somewhat limber rod and they will set themselves on the fish as the boat is slowly moving. *Also, they do not snag up as often. *A 6/0 circle will work fine for fish 5 pounds and up.

*I typically use 1/4 to 1/2 ounce sliding sinkers on the lines that are far behind the boat. *I use 1 oz on the lines that are directly under the boat. *The heavier weights allow me to keep designated lines fairly vertical under the boat. *Having several lines under the boat and several lines back away from the boat minimizes tangles.

*Electric trolling motor: *If there is too much wind, you can turn the trolling motor around, and use it in conjunction with the drift sock, to keep the boat speed down. *If there is no wind at all, you can use the electric motor to move you where you need to go.

The challenge with amador is that some areas hold lots of weeds. *The weeds will get caught up on your sinkers if you're not careful. *If I were to drift amador, I would start at the very back of the jackson creek arm and work slowly towards deeper water. *After that I'd try various arms and shallow coves until you can find a pattern along with clean water (no weeds) to drift. *The main body is too deep. *Try to focus on areas from 5 to 40 feet deep. *I've caught several 20 pound class channel cats at Amador over the years. *The bigger cats get lazy & fat feeding on the small planter trout. *I catch most of my drift fish on mackerel or fresh threadfin shad.

Best of luck to you * *

Diego916
09-28-2008, 04:55 PM
The challenge with amador is that some areas hold lots of weeds. *The weeds will get caught up on your sinkers if you're not careful.

That's the problem with using weight there. Too much and your bait gets too far into the weeds for the cats to find it. You'd think a kitty could smell the bait and burrow down into the weeds to get it, but this never happened when I use to use the ol' high-low rig. You need the bait on top of the weeds. I've only had success there using no weight, or just enough to sink the bait, and on a spinning outfit with light tackle.

Gville_Honker
09-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Awesome, thanks guys I truly appreciate it. I can't wait to get out and give it a try. :D