PDA

View Full Version : A Day Drive Up 88

Waterdog
06-27-2017, 06:20 PM
Took a drive up highway 88 . The wife and I and dog went for a ride yesterday from a Elk Grove up 88 to Markleeville. Just wanted to get away and do a little fishing. Stopped at Silver lake, cast lures for an hour for nada. Saw one guy with a nice sized trout but didn't talk to him.
Went up to Caples and had a picnic lunch there. Again threw lures for a hour or so. Hooked one that self released about 20' out. That was it. Talked to a boater, a kayaker, and a shore fisherman. None of them had caught anything.
My lab went swimming in Caples, when I touched his fur it was so cold my hand almost hurt. Didn't seem to bother him. Maybe the water is too cold for an active trout bite.
A number of the campgrounds in the area were still closed. Some were open but many were closed. Don't know why. There was some small patches of snow but not much, not enough to keep them closed. People heading up there over the 4th may get a surprise when they can't find a place to camp.
Drove to Markleeville just to do it. The West Carson that I saw was high and swift, didn't look fishable.
One last thing when you go up that way be sure you start with a full tank of gas. My truck was getting low so I stopped at the only pump in Markleeville. A single pump, no attendant, just stick your credit card in. $4.30 a gallon, ouch! $43 for 10 gallons. It didn't fill my tank but I figured it was enough to get me back to the valley.
When I figure out how to post pictures or when my wife will post them I'll post them. It was absolutely beautiful up there.

MKE
06-27-2017, 07:04 PM
Sounds like a nice day out of the heat. Yes make sure you have enough fuel Markleeville and Bridgeport are complete rip offs when it comes to that.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Jetspray
06-28-2017, 12:17 AM
On our travels yesterday we saw a snow thrower headed up the road to blue lakes with a chase truck. I imagine they were going to clear anything past the 7 mile gate for the weekend........Jetspray

nayr
06-28-2017, 02:27 AM
4.30 a gallon.... jeeeeezus

gbslade
06-28-2017, 05:36 AM
It may take more than snow clearing to open gates. I've heard from a PGE friend that as snow melts lots of road damage is revealed.