PDA

View Full Version : Deer seasons are almost here

Grncrestliner
07-02-2017, 10:08 AM
I am starting to shoot and look at my supplies from last year. Don't really need anything but one has to make sure. We all have our tags now so that gets the blood flowing a little. I am a disabled archer so I shoot a crossbow during archery season. I lost and broke a few bolts last year so at the end of the year I ordered some custom stuff from a company in Florida. They were actually cheaper than I was paying for brand name Excalibur bolts. I had heard good things about the builder and after shooting some bolts recently they are more consistent on target than anything else I have tried. The price was actually cheaper too. I paid 30% less for a dozen bolts than I had been paying.
I need to get out to the rifle range soon and check a couple of rifles out. I have pretty much changed over to non toxic in the guns I hunt with and everyone else will have to do the same if you haven't already done that. I had to try 4-5 different factory loads to get something I could live with and that is not cheap. For me the best groups were the Federal Trophy Copper with the Hornady GMX a close second. My son is going to load so we may work up a couple of hand loads for the future but for now the Trophy Copper is pretty good.

CRABBY
07-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Hey WTH I haven't got my jerky from last year :teaseku9:

CrappieJed
07-20-2017, 07:31 PM
What's a bolt ?

QueenAnnesRevenge
07-20-2017, 07:59 PM
What's a bolt ?
A crossbow "arrow" is referred to as A bolt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

CrappieJed
07-21-2017, 08:21 AM
A crossbow "arrow" is referred to as A bolt

thanks

BigUnInDaBoat
07-21-2017, 09:52 AM
After reading up on copper bullets for big game, I've kinda accepted it as a decent change. Go look at the youtube videos of a lead bullet hitting game, and the microscopic lead fragments that go everywhere. Copper does not fragment like lead can, and if you ingest some it won't do the damage that lead will to your body. The ammo industry has really come a long ways regarding copper rounds.

I was just thinking about dusting off the bow, normally I shoot all year long, last shot I took dropped a basket racked 3x3 last year.

QueenAnnesRevenge
07-21-2017, 10:32 AM
Major downside with mandated lead free ammo is I believe we will see a rise in unrecoverd deer. Especially at longer ranges which unfortunately is becoming more common as well.

BigUnInDaBoat
07-21-2017, 11:58 AM
Major downside with mandated lead free ammo is I believe we will see a rise in unrecoverd deer. Especially at longer ranges which unfortunately is becoming more common as well.

They made a lot of advances the last few years, check this out.

http://www.huntingwithnonlead.org/bullet_performance.html

QueenAnnesRevenge
07-21-2017, 12:37 PM
I've read all the lead free reviews. At this time I feel mandating their use is a bad decision. Both for the loss in game and the loss in New hunters who don't want to jump through any more hoops.
I really want to like lead free bullets they shoot amazing groups out of my rifles, their performance on game has been less than spectacular.
There are better options though, bonded bullets retain weight well and expand much better than alloy.
Here is a 140gr accubond out of a 270 Weatherby Mag I recovered. Impact velocity was around 3100. Retained weight was 137.9 grains(98.5%)
My shot was less than ideal, hard quartering away, bullet traveled through left lung, heart offside shoulder and came to rest under the skin on the far shoulder. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170721/414cd7a515eff29cbda57a404fc45e9e.jpg