PDA

View Full Version : Fishing for carp

raymac
08-14-2008, 08:23 AM
How many of you fish for CARP earnestly and why. Just looking for a show of hands. I for one am hooked and find the effort very intriging.
The more I research the subject the more interesting it becomes.

BIG_ONE
08-14-2008, 08:43 AM
i fish for carp earnestly when ever i got the chance to get my hand on them, they are a REAL strong fighter and its challenging to trick their mind into yanking my bait instead of tapping on it like a bluegill and set the hook and nada! ;D
plus, they are good if you got the right recipe ;)

sacfishinfool
08-14-2008, 11:23 AM
I like fishing for carp because they get so big and fight so hard. I never keep them or kill them, I just let them go back, but it is fun to catch them. I am not a pro at it, I like catfish and striper fishing as well, but carp seep to put up a better fight than either one of the others. ;)

Budtall
08-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Ain't nothing better then catching a nice hard fighting Golden Carp! ;)
Plus not to many people fish for them so that makes it another +

Berryessa Kid
08-14-2008, 04:33 PM
I agree they are hard fighting and fun to catch. There are some nice size carp caught of the docks at Berryessa. As for the taste :-/
I would love to hear some good carp receipes [smiley=chowtime.gif]

onelilcrazyazn
08-14-2008, 05:43 PM
i fish them because nobody fishes them and theres alot out there plus they are pretty good to eat ahah but i dont noe how to cook it my mom cooks it for me ahah

MB_Kevin
08-14-2008, 07:15 PM
I release 95% of all the fish I catch so how they taste is not to high up on my list for what to fish for. Carp are fun and can be challenging to catch. I always let them go.

GSW_UNITED
08-14-2008, 07:30 PM
never caught a carp yet... :P

Carpopath
08-14-2008, 09:03 PM
hooked for life ;D catch and release everything i catch ;D

sacfishinfool
08-16-2008, 07:27 AM
I have never even tasted a carp, I have been taught early in life that they are no good to eat and that they are dirty nasty fish so I couldn't bring myself to eat one, but some people like them.

Jeff213
08-16-2008, 08:20 PM
They would be quite edible if it wasn't for the Y bones that run all up and down their sides. I have heard you can can them like tuna and they taste really good but I have never tried it.

I mostly fish catch and release for carp (after trying to eat them once).
I love the fight. They pull like freight trains.

tangofox1
08-16-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm a huge fan. Personally, despite their reputation here as a 'trash species' carp can put up some of the best fights and the pursuit of carp can be very challenging at times. It requires a lot of preparation (what other species can you not just drop by the bait shop for?) and a lot of patience. Anyone can randomly catch one, but consistently scoring a bite and landing them with intent is another matter!

MB_Kevin
08-16-2008, 11:18 PM
That is what I hate. When you can see a school of large carp swimming around and they wont take anything [smiley=hissyfit.gif]

Berryessa Kid
08-17-2008, 07:05 AM
Yea random catches are one thing, but when you set out for carp and get em it is fun. I fished next to a guy one time at Miller. He was catchin carp I was trying for salmon. He caught a few and kept them. He was a nice guy as we talked most of the day. I told him I had to ask. Are you going to eat them?? :-/ He said Duh.. as politely as he could. He also said his wife makes him bring them home. To them they were considered a delicacy. It's not right or wrong, just different. To each his own. I think she steamed them over rice??? I release all carp and BG's, some cats, and keep almost all crappie and kokanee ::) ::) We eat alot of kokes from different local lakes, and I love my cold crappie sandwiches [smiley=chowtime.gif] [smiley=clap.gif] This week it was breaded catfish nuggets... Twice 8-)

fisherFREAKking
08-17-2008, 08:09 AM
dont forget light tackle...30pounder with 4lb test line screaming now tha fun....i like to challenge my skill sometime with 2 pound test

BIG_ONE
08-17-2008, 09:55 AM
dont forget light tackle...30pounder with 4lb test line screaming now tha fun....i like to challenge my skill sometime with 2 pound test

oh man that would be fun, but i don't think you can even cast for river fishing for carp wit 2lbs test ;D
or even set the hook ;D :P

Florin
08-25-2008, 10:11 PM
I started fishing for carp in EURO and it just stuck I go fishing often and I give most of it away I do consume some . ::)