PDA

View Full Version : Questions about river fishing...?

sacfishinfool
08-04-2008, 05:31 PM
OK, when you are fishing for carp, or cats from the shore of the river what size and type weight do you use?? I have been trying 1 oz 2 oz and 3 oz flat disk weights, but 1 and 2s move with the current and 3s are just too hard to cast out far enough to do any good. I would like to try out the 2oz egg weight, but do they drift with the current as well?

When fishing for carp on the bottom does your bait run downstream with the current and the carp chase it...??? I would appreciate any input! Thanks! ;)

fisherFREAKking
08-04-2008, 11:16 PM
dont use flat weight their no good. egg weight is fine but jus depend on how fast the current is. 1 oz 2 oz all is good enough. carp are mostly up close. if there current try lookin for breaks in the water that where you wanna cast it to. for catfish pyramid weight 2 oz or 3 is good but i moslty use one 1 or 2oz oval weight kzues when the fish take it there not much tension.so the cat can hold on longer or run wit it. ohh yeah carp do chase after the bait. it jus depend on if the carp is familiar with the bait but either then that is a waiting game..easier way look for them jumpin an that where u wanna cast too ahha cornmeal is the way to go though 8-) ..

BIG_ONE
08-04-2008, 11:24 PM
yeah it'll run down the current, here's a little secret i can share with you, cast upper stream and it'll drift down and sit straight out from your pole, or almost straight out but good enough distance. If you just cast it out straight from where your standing, its going to drift down near to the shore, still produces bite, but not as much.

sometimes carp do tend to chase it, they chase it down and once it sticks onto the bottom then the tapping starts, i doubt they chase it and bite at it right away, its possible, but its pretty rare. How do i know? well i been casting close enough that i can use a split shot for a bottom drift, and i didn't get a single bite. But when i switch to the 1 oz sinker and cast same spot and it sat there, it got bites right away! and even cast it down stream a little where it'll drift down, still got bite right away too!

egg sinkers, basically any sinkers will drift with the river...no sinker can withstand it unless you get those other sinkers with claws on em ;D but egg sinkers will work just the same, the only problem i don't like about egg sinkers is that the edge of the hole of the egg sinker tends to be sharp, and not round and smooth, which kinda scratches your line if your using mono/flouro, it does ok with braid but can will wore out the braid a little bit.

When i fish for carp and cats, i normally use slider rig with the river/pyramid sinker 1oz-2oz(max) and cast very close distance. carp and cat seems to hold the same area and group together as a school or something, because when i cast it at the same spot with corn meal, i get a carp bite, switch to sardines or which ever...i get a cat bite same exact spot and distance. so that tells me they stay together. 1oz and 2oz will do, you don't need to cast that far just for cat and carp, if you want to add a little distance, just cast upstream and it'll come and sit straight with your rod, or maybe just a tab bit off, but better than casting straight forward where the line sits way off from your rod, also if the line isn't sitting straight with your rod, turn your rod so it points the same direction with the line, this produce a more powerful hook up and less yanking in those slack before lifting the weight and ripping those lips!

Hope this helps, sorry about the long info and GOOD LUCK!!! ;D ;)

B1

sacfishinfool
08-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks fisherFREAKking and Big_One. *I appreciate it! :)

fisherFREAKking
08-05-2008, 02:28 PM
they do bite on the drift..if u dont believe meeh i can take you big_one ;D

BIG_ONE
08-05-2008, 02:31 PM
i know they do bite on the drift, i had a couple before, but its not very common tho ;)

sacfishinfool
08-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Where's a good area on the Sac river to catch fat carp? I tried over at Nimbus and got one bite all day long on some sweet sugary cornmeal.

BIG_ONE
08-06-2008, 09:50 PM
all i know is they long past a lot of areas, i heard knight landing still produce some but i have no idea..try it out, if there's no carp, Mr Whiskers time ;D
don't forget to make a salty cornmeal also...when they don't hit on sugary cornmeal, and they are holding in there, i guaranteed they will hit a salty cornmeal if they are in there ;)

fisherFREAKking
08-07-2008, 09:28 AM
knightland year round all day every dayz i go there every weekend kzzues i get bored ;D sacramento i knoe a spot 20 pounder at least jump but i havnt been there for year. either then that jefferson port is loaded 20lb plus

sacfishinfool
08-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Knights Landing?? Wow. I never knew there were carp there, I get stripers every time I go out there...just about every cast! I am gonna have to go out there and try some cornmeal sometime.

So, Big_One, you say try some salty cornmeal if they don't like the sweet stuff? OK, I will try that. Thanks!

BIG_ONE
08-07-2008, 05:21 PM
yep, salty it is! you can just add salt by itself of course water too ::)
but salt tends to hold stronger than sugar...just letting you know, still need to add A LOT of salt ;)
carp basically holds about almost anywhere in the river system, so GOOD LUCK let us know how it goes ;)

fisherFREAKking
08-07-2008, 08:32 PM
to get new carp to get interested in ur bait u have to at least feed them a little so they will knoe next time ahha carp fishing is easy i might go knightlanding this weekend try to get into some big one again havnt been fishing for a while :(

fisherFREAKking
08-07-2008, 08:39 PM
tell meeh do ya ever add anything else in ur cornmeal like side stuff not jus surger an salt or honey like others like uhhh cereal cornfakes ;D 8-)

BIG_ONE
08-07-2008, 09:50 PM
marshmallow, cinnamon, a lot of flavor oatmeal, pancakes/waffles maple syrup, sandwich bread, hotdog bun, hamburger bun, crackers, coconut milk, corn/olive oil, peanut butter, garlic and some other stuff i can't think of right now ;D ;)

gearbox
08-08-2008, 11:01 PM
marshmallow, cinnamon, a lot of flavor oatmeal, pancakes/waffles maple syrup, sandwich bread, hotdog bun, hamburger bun, crackers, coconut milk, corn/olive oil, peanut butter, garlic and some other stuff i can't think of right now *;D ;)
Wasabi!

BIG_ONE
08-09-2008, 01:08 AM
marshmallow, cinnamon, a lot of flavor oatmeal, pancakes/waffles maple syrup, sandwich bread, hotdog bun, hamburger bun, crackers, coconut milk, corn/olive oil, peanut butter, garlic and some other stuff i can't think of right now ;D ;)
Wasabi!
i tried that before, i don't like the smell of it and so does the carp, never had any luck on carp with wasabi... ;D

sacfishinfool
08-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Where do you use this stuff?? I have not caught one carp on cornmeal balls and keep trying, what am I doing wrong??? >:(

BIG_ONE
08-16-2008, 10:04 PM
your not giving enough time for the carp
don't cast too far, just past about 5-10 yards where the deep slope drop at the bank and just let it tap and trust me...it'll take a swim in the olympic soon ;)

sacfishinfool
08-17-2008, 02:05 PM
OK, so how long should I wait for them to start biting? I have sat for hours waiting for a bite without one. :-[

BIG_ONE
08-17-2008, 03:25 PM
if you sat there for hrs...that means they aren't there ne more, they pick it up really quick like cat...
move to knights landing and try there see if all the rumors floating around were true, and if its not producing there either...the season is long over, wait for next year to come ;)

sacfishinfool
08-17-2008, 05:56 PM
I had no idea they were seasonal! :D

BIG_ONE
08-17-2008, 07:29 PM
oh yeah they are defitnitely seasonal ;D

fisherFREAKking
08-21-2008, 03:09 PM
winter is the only time you cant really get them but if you want your hand on all the carp 102 knightslanding i was there last weekend an land more then 30 within a 2 hour alote of miss i wasnt even tryin ahha i like too see them self hook themself...alot of small one

sacfishinfool
08-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Really? On cornmeal? What sizes were they? I need to go try out there! Whenever I go out there I get all in to trying for the crazy stripers out that way.

fisherFREAKking
08-22-2008, 02:30 PM
ahhaha yeah im going tomorrow for fun yeah they were all caught on cornmeal wit cornmeal wit other stuff mix wit it ...catfish is still good there too....striper i missing out but i aint worry cause still got 3 month into the fall run stop so i aint trippin

dbass
08-25-2008, 06:44 AM
If you want carp, fish the minnow hole just upstream. All the European dudes fish there. Its slack water on the river, the carpies bunch up there ;)