PDA

View Full Version : Where to find good cat and carp fishing.

fishman7
08-15-2008, 08:13 AM
I need a little help find some good cat and carp water for me and the kids. All of our cats and carp are C & R. We live in Hanford which is just south of Fresno. Thanks.

fishman7
08-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Come on guys, no one here on the cat and carp board knows of any decent fishing areas ha ha. i am not looking for secret spots just some where to start. Thanks again :-/

Big O Tires Angler
08-16-2008, 01:09 PM
You could try Millerton Lake or even Bass Lake...I really don't know any spots in Hanford, sorry. New Melones has been having some really good luck with some large 20 lbs. catfish near the Marina.

tangofox1
08-16-2008, 10:55 PM
Catfish and carp are great in the sense that they will be the first to populate an area and the last to leave it. That makes them very tolerant of environment conditions chemical, climatic, or otherwise. In Fresno I understand there's a great deal of farmland. Any area that has flow and is of appropriate size and depth will contain ATLEAST one of these species. Bait for them using the basics, try using worms or if you wanna get a little more action lookup any of a number of doughball recipes for greater success. These recipes typically better in some areas while one reciept might be a killer in one body of water, another recipe might be a much better success in a different body of water. Just look up doughball recipes on google.com and you'll get a mess of great ideas.

If there's an irrigation canal or a golf water hazard, or perhaps just a local lake. Any of these will contain either catfish or carp. More often than not there'll be both!

Next time you find yourself driving around outside the city and spot a body of water, try it out and let me know!

fishman7
08-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I am not looking for just hanford. Any areas in the central valley say within an hour or so of Hanford. Thanks again.

Florin
08-19-2008, 01:24 PM
mendota is good for both

Kickin_Bass
08-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Hensley Lake in Madera/Chowchilla. Huge carp all over the place. A few kernals of corn on a circle hook near the bottom and you're golden.

fishman7
08-20-2008, 03:43 PM
now we are talkin' thanks