PDA

View Full Version : Lake Margaret: Wilderness Unlimited

reddhedd
08-14-2017, 08:13 PM
A buddy of mine won an auction for 3 days on Lake Margaret. Being that it is private and owned by wilderness unlimited, I can't find much about it. Is there anyone that has been there that has any tips or info? I'll have the basics on me, kastmasters, rooster tails, nightcrawlers, etc. I was thinking crankbaits and top water would be a fun option. Any good top water options besides actual fly fishing?

Thanks for any help!!

Grncrestliner
08-14-2017, 08:23 PM
Any info I could give you would be really old but hey here is what I know. I think it was olive wooly buggers from float tubes or electric trolling motor on an aluminum boat. I think some trolled and others cast the wooly buggers. I think single hook barbless spinners also produced. We are talking about 40 years ago. It was ASC then but I was also a member of WU. Nice trout. Don't have any idea what fish are even in there now. We went in the spring when it was still really cold. I believe we were 100% catch and release then. That was a long time ago.

OK who knows what ASC meant?

American Sportsman Club.

Waterdog
08-14-2017, 08:36 PM
I was a WU member for 20 years, been to lake Margaret numerous times. It's a beautiful little private mountain lake with about 6 or 7 camp sites. They have a couple of aluminum boats there for members use. Rowing or electric motors only, bring your own electric motor.
The trout are planters and some are wild as there is a stream into the lake where they spawn. Fishing the stream is not allowed.
The fish bite on anything and everything but what the want may change day to day. I have flyfished evening rises there with incredible results. I found the best or most consistent method of taking trout there was with bait. Worms, power bait or what ever. Your typical trout lures like you mentioned work well also.
Just bring a variety of bait and lures and you will do fine.
One thing , to get to the lake you have to go through 2 locked gates. Be sure you have the correct combinations for the locks or you will not be able to get in there. It's a couple miles off the main highway.
Bring everything with you cause it's primitive camping. The camp sites are right on the lake but all they have is a picnic table and a fire ring. No potable water. You can use float tubes and you can swim in the lake but no water toys or air mattresses etc.
i was a member up to last year and it was not catch and release. DF&W regs apply. Keep 5 trout a day.

reddhedd
08-14-2017, 08:46 PM
Grncrestliner, I've used wooly buggers with a little prop on the front that produced well on twin lakes. I'll have to see if I can find them and prepare to do a lot of rowing.

Waterdog,
I found your similar post from a while ago, thanks for elaborating on it!! We have very limited info, but the camp situation was explained to us. I guess no fires so that's a little disappointing. We'll likely be fishing or sleeping so it doesn't matter too much. I was thinking just about anything would produce. I'm by Clear Lake so I spend most of my time bass fishing. Top water is my favorite method. I'll have to see if some small poppers or frogs will produce. With a limited pressure lake this, it's definitely worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waterdog
08-14-2017, 08:55 PM
I don't believe there are bass in the lake so I've never really tried topwater other than fly fishing dry flys. But give it a try. They stock a lot of trout there but you will have to work for them.they can be quite selective when it comes to lures an bait.
You will have a great time.

reddhedd
08-14-2017, 08:59 PM
I'm definitely not expecting bass. 😂 I'll bring a few select things and see if anything produces...but only after we actually catch a few👍

Grncrestliner
08-15-2017, 06:13 AM
Like I said Lake Margaret was a long time ago for me. Spent a lot more time at the Bidwell property.

USMCmatt
08-15-2017, 10:54 AM
I'm guessing that you guys are talking about a different Lake Margaret than the one near Kirkwood on hwy 88. Am I correct?

reddhedd
08-15-2017, 03:13 PM
I'm guessing that you guys are talking about a different Lake Margaret than the one near Kirkwood on hwy 88. Am I correct?

Nope, it's out by Burney. When I first found out about the trip, that's the lake I was expecting. Looks like an awesome spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reddhedd
08-22-2017, 09:01 PM
Just wanted to follow up and say thanks for the info! We caught about 15-25 fish a day each, all ranging from 12"to 22". Mostly on spinners and kastmasters. It was nice not to have to resort to bait. Cool place!! The camp host was a good guy with lots of good info. He was telling us about the process to join, which is kind of an odd process. We're debating whether to join or not.

Waterdog
08-23-2017, 04:31 AM
Glad you had a great time at lake Margaret. Great place to get away and no crowds. If you join WU you need to do so for both hunting and fishing. It's not worth it for only fishing. The initial fee to join isn't cheap. I personally like WU and have spent a lot of time hunting and fishing the properties over the last 20 years. If you have any questions about WU just ask me.