PDA

View Full Version : Lake Chabot Carp HOTSPOT!!!

Trout_FINatic
07-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Well I went out a couple times within the past week bright and early as the booth for a daily pass opens. I hiked to the dam where the water is deepest to the spot right next to the rope/bouy marked off area to try my luck. Unfortunately I havent caught my target(trout) because of the time of year, but i'm stubborn darn it! haha Anyways, I have had great luck when it came to the Carp. I've caught a few 5+ pounders. Boy are they active too! They are jumping like crazy between 6am to noon and I never knew carp jumped. They have been biting on my yellow power eggs. The ones that have surfaced are monsters and the splashes are incredible. I couldn't believe my eyes to the ones that came up, and close to the bank too! This isn't my type of fish, but I just thought I would share the info with the people that enjoy them. This appears to be a hotspot for the carp at the moment so I guess I will move in search for my submerged trout *8-). So good luck to anyone and hope the info helps. *;D

sacfishinfool
07-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Where the heck is Lake Chabot? Sounds like a fun place to fish! :)

dandeuce
07-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Lake Chabot is in Castro Valley , quite aways from Sac just to go carp fishing ! Have you ever fished cats at Knights Landing ? Its spawning time and the really turn on in the slough at the launch ramp , especially if they are letting water out of the dam . Use chicken livers as you do in your " catfish posting " , I like to cut mackeral up and mix in with the liver and let sit for a day or two ( in the fridge ), the mackeral absorbs the liver scent but is tougher and will stay on your hook better . Use a larger rod/reel ( striper size ) or you will be sorry , plenty of 10-20 lb. cats in there .

sacfishinfool
07-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Have you ever fished cats at Knights Landing ?

Yes, I have fished out there a long time ago. I caught a bunch of small stripers, and a couple small cats. I don't know where this boat ramp is that you are talking about...how do you get there?

Florin
07-22-2008, 04:56 PM
I fished Lake Chabot and was my local lake for many years it is good carp lake best in the back by tulies I used to fish it 3-4 times per week until they ( F&G ) electroshocked it. I left three years ago back then carp fishing was still slow. Became a hot spot for bass fishermans