PDA

View Full Version : Reccomendations on how to use bluegill as bait

jwstralla
07-10-2008, 04:45 PM
i catch live blue gill to use for catfish bait but im not sure on the best way to use them please help

Bigg A
07-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Depending on the body of water, you can use them alive and kickin if your after MONSTER CATS or just cut them up. Smaller cats tend to stay away but the occasional chip will find it and peck on it. Me and my partner use them all the time. Try fishing the yolo bypass (a.k.a. Lisbon Slough) and knights landing at the boat launch. GOOD LUCK!!! ;D ;D

MB_Kevin
07-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Always make sure that it is legal to use them where you are fishing.

Phinger28
07-10-2008, 10:43 PM
yes make sure its legal to use them first. A simple sliding rig will work fine. Hook the BG through one of the nostrils on the top lip only. I dont think they can breath very well with both lips pierced shut.

BIG_ONE
07-11-2008, 01:57 AM
I'll recommend hooking on the bottom lip, they tend to survive much longer and less damage to the fish hooking anywhere, just watch out for that tongue of the blue, and if no takers, you can always release it and it has a very good chance of surviving ;)

gearbox
07-11-2008, 11:23 AM
What kind of hook? 3/0 Octopus? 4/0 Circle? #2 Baitholder? Where in the regs does it state if/where they can be used?

Phinger28
07-11-2008, 11:39 AM
The size of hook you use should be matched to the size bait. I use 1/0 for babies all the way up to 5/0 for hand-size or better.

MB_Kevin
07-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Where in the regs does it state if/where they can be used?
You would probably have to read between the lines in the reg book to figure it out. I believe but am not completely sure on this. That you have to catch them out of the same water as where you use them. It is not legal in most lakes. I think it is only OK in the delta and maybe some of the rivers.
I just wanted to point out that it might not be legal so someone at a lake would not catch a bluegill and think..I heard that was good bait and put it on and get in trouble. They make good bass bait where it is legal.

jiggity49
07-12-2008, 07:28 AM
I believe it is legal in most lakes as a cut bait, it's when you start using them live that the regs are a little harder to decipher

MB_Kevin
07-12-2008, 08:08 PM
I believe it is legal in most lakes as a cut bait, it's when you start using them live that the regs are a little harder to decipher
*Oh really, *I did not know that! *If anyone knows the bluegill laws in lakes/delta post it up. *I would like to know. I thought you could not use them at all in lakes like berryessa. I might try some out if I thought it was legal.

*Phishndad, *The way you said to hook that trailer hook on I know was right but it ended up sinking in the water. *I guess they are just made cheap. *I ended up taking it off again to get the right action.

Semperfifishing
07-12-2008, 10:44 PM
On lakes that I know it is legal... I catch bluegill and then trim the tail fin and side fins by 1/2.
I then carefully thread the line thru the mouth and out the gill opening back to the mouth tie a slip knot ..leaving enough line to tie on a hook.

I then put Pro Q. garlic on the bluegil..for extra scent.

The bait is undamaged swims a bit eratic ..which seems to really attract the cats.
And I have caught monster bass..not what I was tying to do.

Just big cats.

jiggity49
07-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Most of the lakes in our area are located in the "Central Valley District" so look in the regs to see if the lake you are fishing falls in this area I forget exactly what the boundries are. If I am right it says no live fin fish shall be used for bait except ..... then they list different types of minnows and such, but not blue gill. No the way i read it it said "live" so i would think cut bait would be OK. The only exception i saw where it is legal to use live fin fish as bait in the CVR is the delta.....Now here is where it gets tricky. You would think hey if i need a delta stamp to fish whatever river it is that i am fishing then I should be able to use live fin fish as bait right? Well, actually the stupid DFG has 2 different def. of the "delta" . 1 is for the delta stamp which pretty much covers all water downstream af any dam that flows to the bay. 2 defines the delta for all other rules like baits, leader lenghts, etc..... I am not sure of the northern boundry of the "delta" as the dfg defines it but I know the southern boundry is the HWY 5 bridge at Mossdale. So if you are north of the 5 bridge you can fish with live sqaws, gills etc. but take a few steps under the bridge and you would then be breaking the law. To find out all of this info you have to shuffle back and forth between several pages in the handbook and it is very confusing :P You need a freaking lawyer to decipher it. I got into the disscussion last year with a dfg warden on the stani. on whether or not it was ok to us sqaws as bait out there and he finally cleared it up for me ;) After all that PLEASE,PLEASE read the regs for yourself for where you are fishing! Shoot they may have even changed some since last year for all I know ::)

gearbox
07-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Any better place to hook a bluegill than the lower lip?

FresnoJack
07-14-2008, 04:31 PM
I asked the DFG about using bluegill as bait in January, through the AskaWarden program. *Here is the response.

AskaWarden@dfg.ca.gov

Lt. Liz Schwall asked me to respond to your inquiry
regarding using blue gill for bait.

The answers to all your questions are in the current Freshwater Fishing
regulations beginning on page 11 in *Bait Regulations for Inland
Waters, Sections 4.00 - 4.30. *The complete fishing regulations are
available online @ http://dfg.ca.gov/enforcement/index.aspx

Section 4.05 - Bait Fish Capture Methods - *Do authorize the use of dip
nets and traps.

Live blue gill *may not be transported from the water where taken, see
section 1.63 on page 7. *Legally taken bluegill may be transported if
not alive to another location. *

However, bluegill may only be legally used as bait in that portion of the Valley and South Central Districts described in section 4.15(d)(1 - 3) on page 10.

You may contact me if you have additional questions regarding Fish and Game laws and regulations in CA.

Phil Nelms
Law Enforcement Division

>>> 1/14/2008 11:19 AM >>>
Hello,
*My questions are about the use of blue gill as bait. *When and where
can I use bluegill as bait?
*Can I use a dip net or trap to catch blue gill I intend to use as
bait?
*May I transport live blue gill from one water to another, unconnected
water?
*May I transport dead blue gill from one water to another, unconnected
water? *
*Thank you for your assistance.

MB_Kevin
07-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the info!
MB

BIG_ONE
07-15-2008, 03:55 AM
hmm, so as long as the blue is dead, you can transfer it? thats nice to know, i still catch fish with them even tho its dead ;D