PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid this weekend, Fri Sat Sun, Fishing, Boating, Camping Bonfires!!!

RET1SAST
10-23-2017, 07:11 PM
Hello everyone my name is Eric, I am from Mount Shasta. This weekend I plan on traveling to Pyramid with my 11 year old son, my brother and father. We have my North River to fish from and my travel trailer to stay in. I have been to pyramid a couple times but have never camped there. Either day fished or stayed in the trailers supplied at Crosby's. I have been doing as much checking as I can but I think its best to check in here with the pros. I have seen the travel trailers parked around the beach at Pelican and utilizing google earth it looks like there are RV pads up above the beach in the same areas. I'm fully self contained in my RV and have plenty of fresh water capacity as well as gray and black water for the weekend so hookups are not necessary. I believe through my checking that I can just stop at Crosby's when we arrive in town on Friday and buy all are necessary permits. From what I've seen we need 3 day licenses, 3 day boat permit and 3 day camp permit. Please let me know if I'm missing something here. Also are fires permitted in the camping area I did not see any info on that but based on past events I assumed they are allowed. I would love to put my family on fish while we are there and have had success in the past. If anyone wants to share any tips or advice to make for a safe, successful and enjoyable weekend please feel free to post here or contact me privately. I have always had such great success reaching out to the online fishing community and used to post on many boards under the name 1SAST. Thanks for reading!!!!!

Captain Compassion
10-23-2017, 07:57 PM
Howdy Eric. Welcome to the Sniffer. You can no longer drive a vehicle on the beach at Pelican. The Pads above the beach are excellent. There are places in the sand next to the pads for fires. Your permit needs are as you stated. You will need a fishing permit for each fisherman. If you all are staying in the same trailer then you will need one camping permit for each day. One boat permit per day. All kinds of things working out there. Sierra Rainbow spoons or White with black dots. U-20 Flat Fish in pearl or Frog. Rainbow Apex. Some are top lining. We usually troll 20 feet down in 30 - 40 feet of water. Look for fish from Pelican all the way north to the Pinnicles. They do move around. Looks to be a good weekend to be on the water. Good Luck

CC

RET1SAST
10-23-2017, 08:04 PM
Captain thank you very much sir! We will make sure to stay off the beach and up in the designated parking area. In past experience can or do those sites fill up fast. Will we be in any danger of showing up on Friday and not finding a place to park. Getting very excited with the weather forecast that this will be a good weekend! Thank you again.

Pyramidbruizer
10-23-2017, 09:28 PM
If you have a fish finder find the edge of drop-offs and the fish will usually be cruising the bottom there. Right where the slope meets flat bottom. As for what to use..they'll eat just about anything if you put it in front of them. Good luck!

okie
10-24-2017, 05:50 AM
Captain thank you very much sir! We will make sure to stay off the beach and up in the designated parking area. In past experience can or do those sites fill up fast. Will we be in any danger of showing up on Friday and not finding a place to park. Getting very excited with the weather forecast that this will be a good weekend! Thank you again.

if you get here early on Friday you shouldn't have a problem.
be safe

NevadaWalt
10-24-2017, 06:46 AM
FYI, Friday is a State holiday and there may be more fishermen than usual. Good luck.

iln143
10-24-2017, 07:33 AM
We are going out tomorrow. Watch for a new pyramid post tomorrow evening for a current update. It will probably come from okie. We did well last week but things can change fast.
Ivan

RET1SAST
10-25-2017, 08:54 PM
Thank you to everyone who has posted with information, it is so much appreciated. Looking forward to spending a few quality days with my son, dad and brother coming up. If anyone else has any info please feel free to leave it here or contact me through PM. If anyone would like to stop by over the weekend we will be fishing out of my Blue/Silver North River Seahawk and staying near the launch area in the Outdoors RV Trailer. Thanks again for everyone who has taken the time time and offered to help.

Eric

Prettyman01
10-30-2017, 06:46 PM
Where's the report?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

iln143
10-31-2017, 07:06 AM
Lets hear it. Where did you fish, what did you use, how did you do?

RET1SAST
11-05-2017, 06:21 PM
Let me first start off by apologizing for not posting a trip report in a some what timely manner. Some kind of crud invaded my body while we were at Pyramid and I have not been well since. Thank you very much to each and every one of you who either took the time to reply to my thread or sent a private message.

I started off Thursday hooking the boat up to my dads truck and took it down into town for a quick top off of fuel. While out I thought might as well run it by my local tire shop and do a quick check of the air pressure. Well if this wasn't a blessing in disguise. The right rear trailer tire had a nail in it and as soon as it was removed the tire quickly lost air. A short patch job later and the boat and trailer were ready to go. I headed home and hooked up my travel trailer to my pickup. On Friday morning we met at the intersection of SR-89 and I-5 and headed southeast towards Pyramid Lake. A quick stop in Susanville for some breakfast and to top off my dads fuel tank and we continued our journey. We rolled into Crosby Lodge around noon and grabbed all our necessary permits and gear. We then headed over to the RV parking near the Pelican launch area and found ourselves a home for the next couple days. A quick setup of camp and we set out what we came to do.

We launched out of Pelican and worked towards the south along the western shore. We ran a variety of spoons, lymans, apex's and flatfish trying to figure out what might be best. We soon found out that an apex around 25-40 foot on the downrigger seemed to be a good ticket. We were treated to a steady bite of slot limit fish which were more than fun for my 11 year old son. Friday night soon turned into Saturday and we were back at it again. A slight miscommunication caused us to lose a downrigger ball which only hampered our spirits and not our fun. Saturday proved to be an excellent day with action steady and repeatable throughout the day. Alas Saturday turned into Sunday and we found ourselves having to head home around the lunch time hour. Although Friday and Saturday were good we found the bite on Sunday a little more challenging. Working harder for the half dozen fish we got to the boat.

I can think of no better way to spend a weekend, and I imagine we had weather that will only be spoken of in memory for times to come. 70's during the day with short and t-shirt weather with cool nights in the evening. I hope in the future that the fishing may always be this good!!!!!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a26/1sast/Mobile%20Uploads/15893_zps6eujme2w.jpeg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/1sast/media/Mobile%20Uploads/15893_zps6eujme2w.jpeg.html)
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a26/1sast/Mobile%20Uploads/15893_zps6eujme2w.jpeg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/1sast/media/Mobile%20Uploads/15893_zps6eujme2w.jpeg.html)

Jetspray
11-05-2017, 07:16 PM
You are probably suffering what most of us are around here, when winter comes in there is a bloom of desert stuff on and the pollen/dust does you a job on the body. Great shot of his fish, and great shot period. I also enjoyed your story........Jetspray