PDA

View Full Version : Shasta Lake Fall/Winter Questions

Rainbowx
11-07-2017, 11:13 AM
I'm going out to Shasta Lake for the first time on a small boat sometime in the next few weeks for trout. I was hoping to get some pointers on the good arms to check out and what is used there.

I'm close to the Jones Valley ramp but I could launch anywhere.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Waterdog
11-07-2017, 02:02 PM
I spend a couple weeks every year trout fishing Shasta. Have done so for 30 plus years. I am far from being a expert on fishing Shasta. Last time I fished Shasta was a week in May earlier this year. At that time the trout were down about 100í. I was catching trout from out in front of Jones Valley all the way past the I5 bridge. Youíll find them much shallower now since the water temp. has cooled. I donít think the lake has turned over yet so Iím thinking the fish will be spread out across various depths from 10í to 50í. Use your FF to locate them.
i used various lures in May but the killer lure was speedy shiners in various colors. I believe I trolled from 2.5 mph to 4 mph.
The area previously mentioned is a good place to troll and I like the McCloud arm. The McCloud arm has always produced trout for me.
Hopefully Mikfish will chime in. He has Shasta well dialed in.

Rainbowx
11-07-2017, 02:31 PM
Thank you Waterdog, that should help out! I'll make sure to get some speedy shiners for the tackle box.

chachie
11-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Let us know how you do! Ive had shasta on my "want to fish" list for a while now!

Mikfish
11-09-2017, 02:51 PM
Waterdog is right, the Mcloud arm is a good place to start. From turntable bay all the way up to hirz bay. Was there last Saturday and the rainbow action was slow due to the lake still in process of turning over. They're pretty much scattered throughout the water column, which makes them hard to target. Surface temp was 63. Ideally in my experience 60 degree surface and lower is your best bet for rainbow action for toplining. With the recent rains and cold nights, it won't be long. I did pick up a couple browns trolling close to the shoreline at 18' down and on the surface.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk