PDA

View Full Version : Glide v3

dsa2780
12-12-2017, 12:13 PM
The quest continues. Not really satisfied with my bigger experimental glides so I decided to mess around on a smaller scale.

After deciding that I no longer want to work with wood until itís warm outside again, I opted for more resin.

What I did like about wood was that I could carve any shape I wanted to and make small adjustments as I went along. So I basically poured an entire 8Ē block of resin in the dimensions of the wood Iíve been working with.

Same process, draw out a shape with a sharpie and use the band saw to cut it and a belt sander to refine the shape. Hand sanded the taper on the rail and rounded out the head.

This one is again, kind of like just an ambiguous shape. Could be a squaw or little half pounder steel. Used another r2s mr.whiggly tail to go for more of the squaw profile.

Cutting the angled joint and recessing the eyelets was a total pain in the ass. But this one swims good so far.

Not decided on paint yet.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171212/9dc89b00c3c6380b36c1cbb72e702d2c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171212/7f3af08e079ce1df1bf9b277aa1332ad.jpg

CDK
12-12-2017, 01:04 PM
Results? All show and no go? LOL

dsa2780
12-12-2017, 01:08 PM
Results? All show and no go? LOL

Havenít been fishing much lately. In the process of moving so Iíll be back on the water closer to Christmas. If I sneak out for a bit, itís a bank session.

QueenAnnesRevenge
12-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Looks great
I wouldn't stress over a paint job, if anything chartreuse that tail and clear coat the rest?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

dsa2780
12-12-2017, 05:32 PM
Looks great
I wouldn't stress over a paint job, if anything chartreuse that tail and clear coat the rest?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yeah, Iíll probably just dip that tail and fish it straight resin. Havenít had any luck messing with clear coat. Got any product you recommend?

My friend is making some single piece bluegill/tule perch profiled gliders. Carved from redwood.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171213/a115c9b9bb7f5f796941083703bf0542.jpg

monkey916
12-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Next time you make something like that... Gimme a weeks notice ( basically so I can have it a few days) and I'll epoxy it for you and put it on my barbeque rottesserie aka lure spinner...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

dsa2780
12-12-2017, 06:05 PM
Next time you make something like that... Gimme a weeks notice ( basically so I can have it a few days) and I'll epoxy it for you and put it on my barbeque rottesserie aka lure spinner...

Iím down. I think my dad has one of those too. My other friend is trying 5 minute epoxy as a clear coat for his but it isnít looking too great.

Hamachijohn
12-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Pretty awesome! Great hobby... Especially during the colder months

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

monkey916
12-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Michael's sells a 2 part epoxy called envirotex lite... Must mix exactly 50/50... I thin with denatured alcohol... Only buy the epoxy at Michael's when you get the 40% one item thing... Gotta mix it with something metal and slow... Mix it with wood or plastic fast or slow and you get bubbles... The bubbles will not come out so they transfer to the bait..

dsa2780
12-12-2017, 07:27 PM
Michael's sells a 2 part epoxy called envirotex lite... Must mix exactly 50/50... I thin with denatured alcohol... Only buy the epoxy at Michael's when you get the 40% one item thing... Gotta mix it with something metal and slow... Mix it with wood or plastic fast or slow and you get bubbles... The bubbles will not come out so they transfer to the bait..

Thatís good info. Iíll check it out if I g t a chance to tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkey916
12-12-2017, 07:40 PM
You might not have to thin it if you're just doing the outside of the lure and the bottles are kept at room temp... Keep the bottles in your room... If they get cold it doesnt flow out of the bottle well or mix well... Stripers online has some good threads on epoxy and wood lures... Only problem with 5 minute is it dries to fast for you to be able to work with it and it turns yellowish in the sun... Looked up tons of info on this stuff when i was doing my wood lures...

dsa2780
12-12-2017, 08:29 PM
You might not have to thin it if you're just doing the outside of the lure and the bottles are kept at room temp... Keep the bottles in your room... If they get cold it doesnt flow out of the bottle well or mix well... Stripers online has some good threads on epoxy and wood lures... Only problem with 5 minute is it dries to fast for you to be able to work with it and it turns yellowish in the sun... Looked up tons of info on this stuff when i was doing my wood lures...

Really appreciate the info. If I donít get around to it just yet, I think itíll be fine. Resin is water proof anyways. Some glossy clear coat or glitter mixed in would really make it look nice.

theory
01-29-2018, 10:25 PM
envirotex is great stuff youll need a lure turner to use it because of the time it takes to set up. you brush it on.

look up kbs diamond finish. you love how it looks. setup time is better and its a tougher epoxy.

make a cheap lure turner out of a bbq rotisserie, super cheap diy

30 minute devcon is if youre impatient and want to fish your bait fast. still need a lure turner so make the relatively cheap investment in making one.

good luck.