PDA

View Full Version : Eastside of the Sierra's

Chasing_tail
04-18-2018, 09:16 PM
If you ever have the chance to fish in the Mammoth/Bishop area I highly recommend it. Lower Owens River treated me and the family well last weekend. Crickets and roe were a hit, I couldn't imagine the damage a fly rod would do in that country. Here are jus a couple pics (won't upload more) of a phenomenal fishery that offers a grab bag of brookies, bows, germans, cutthroat and golden. Multiple rainbows from 14"-20" make lasting memories. :trout:

thompsonwdavid
04-18-2018, 09:30 PM
Nice catch! Thanks for the report.

chubbswheeler
04-18-2018, 09:36 PM
Good job chasing_tail. Crickets are a real producer! I grew up hitting the pet store the day before the river! Just to let you know that Brooke trout is in fact a Brown. Also not sure if you are saying you caught Golden's but they should all be hiding under ice still. Just wanted to relay a bit of info. Keep up your good work. Your definitely in the right zone!

Chasing_tail
04-18-2018, 10:16 PM
We have yet to catch a golden but they are definitely on the wish list, maybe next time when we hit those high alpine lakes. As for brooke vs browns they are definitely two different species but nonetheless, trout fishing offers a different solace than any other sportfishing.

MKE
04-19-2018, 05:51 AM
Good job. I get down there quite often manely in the fall and spring with my fly gear and do very well. I do have to agree with chubs that looks like many of the browns down that way. From that picture it looks like a brown.No pink spots with blue Halos ,no white tips on the fins, and no vermiculated lines on the top those are all telltale signs of a brook trout.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Left_Hook
04-19-2018, 02:31 PM
Nice report. I'm headed that way for the opener at Crowley. A bit of a zoo on that weekend, but once you're on the water the fishing is usually good.

Captain Compassion
04-19-2018, 02:37 PM
Probably open locally on the W. Carson. Hopefully the flows will be down.

CC

Chasing_tail
04-19-2018, 03:22 PM
My apologies chubbs and all the other readers, I misread your post regarding brooks vs browns. I'm a novice in the trout world and distinguishing them accurately so I believe you guys. I can just appreciate the different technique and strategy of trout fishing and I wish I could do it more often. There's definitely a lot of snow that needs to make its way down the hill, good luck to all of you heading down there I'm a little jealous :sad:

MKE
04-19-2018, 03:29 PM
No need to apologize. Catching a brown has way more bragging rights then a brookie!!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk