PDA

View Full Version : Berryessa Trout Help

critterbob
06-22-2018, 05:55 AM
Since the slow down in Kokanee at Berry, we have been working other lakes. We are going to give the Berry a try for trout and have never fished that before.

Anyone have any advice on the trout.

I assume...higher speeds, look for some structure and ledges.

any thoughts are appreciate.

cb

jwirch
06-22-2018, 12:36 PM
critterbob,
I have fished Berry the last 2 weekend and limited both times. I was using Apexes OTW @ 32' south of the BI in the middle. I'll be there this Sat. 06/23 doing the same thing, in a white NR with radio on #69. Hit me up...see you on the water...:trout:Kokenut

critterbob
06-22-2018, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the intel. That is an area we usually go for the koke's so we will give that a shot.

If I see you on the water I will ring you up. Thanks for sharing

CB

critterbob
06-24-2018, 07:21 AM
kokenut,

thanks again or the intel. This was a trip with a couple of my boys and my 3 year old grandson's first fishing trip. He embrace the fish whacker job, actually really enjoyed it...should we be worried!

We did get out there, got a late start - close to 7 and we ended up landing 8 in about 3 hours of fishing, before the gals showed up for water play.

We got one Koke and 7 trout. Your intel was spot on for colors, speed and depth.

We lost almost as many as we caught, those trout fought I lot more than I remember and even came out of the water on many occasions to spit the hook.

In the past, when I caught a berry trout...seems like they just swam to the boat and waited for me to get a net :), these were much better fighters. Is this a different strain of trout than have been in there in the past?

thanks again for the help, very fun day

CB

Yakbah
06-24-2018, 11:39 AM
Awesome work critterbob. Those were most likely eagle lake rainbow trout. Much more silver than green, longer and more streamlined as well. Got any pictures of the kokanee? I've been fishing Berry all year long (last year too) and haven't heard or seen anyone catch any. DFW put out a report saying the lower water levels during the drought probably wiped them out. Not denying that you didn't catch one but I'd really like to see a picture of you have one. Small eagle lake rainbows have been falsely identified as kokanee ever since I could remember on Berry. They look THAT much alike if you catch a really chrome looking one.

critterbob
06-25-2018, 12:15 PM
I will post a couple photos and I may be wrong about the koke, could be a small king.

All the trout had white jaw lines and the suspect one had a much longer snout and jaw line and black gums.

at first I felt it was a king...but when I filleted it, it was not as dark red as the typical kings I have gotten in the past. Color was much more kokanee like.

I will post photos when I get home tonight

CB

Yakbah
06-27-2018, 05:47 AM
Photos?

critterbob
06-27-2018, 11:26 AM
Photos?
this is the best of my photos.

2nd one from the right, on CB2 stick. Not a great photo (kinda like those sasquatch blurry photo)

its jaw line was significantly longer, top jaw was starting to hook a little and bottom guns...were black lined. Only fish i the group that had a black jaw line.

on second look, it may be because it was so much bigger (older than the others) . also the meat was much redder than the other fish on the filets...but again, maybe in the lake longer eating more natural foods . Fish in question is the far left of the filets

Been so long since I saw a kokanee....maybe a little kokanee fever!

CB

jwirch
06-29-2018, 01:07 PM
CB,
Great report and pics, love the kids and family scene, reminds me back in the day! Glad I could help out a little and you guy's did better than my son and I. We caught 6 fish, with only 1 ELT keeper at 2.10 lbs. See you on the water sometime. Very nicely done on your part...Kokenut:clap: