PDA

View Full Version : Caples lake 6/23

Snifferman
06-28-2018, 10:46 AM
Went up to Caples to get out of the heat -- only 78 degrees up there at 8,000 feet. Caught lots of planter rainbows from 12 to 14 inches --mostly on naked crawlers or flashers and crawlers right on top. Tried for some macks on Sunday, the the wind was really blowing --even at 5 am. Of course, by about 11 am when we had to leave, the wind died down.
Caught one beautiful brown -- 26 inches but only 5 1/2 pounds -- on a Vance's copper pink dodger followed by an Uncle Larry's blue/pink firetiger spinner with a piece of night crawler at 10 feet. Caught a couple small macks as well. A beautiful lake, great cabins and lodge, perfect place for the family with rental boats, kayaks, ete. Saw many folks fishing off the bank all over the lake and catching lots of planter rainbows.

Captain Compassion
06-28-2018, 05:00 PM
Beautiful trout. Guess it's time to go up there and give it a look. Haven't been up this year. Thanks for the report.

CC

fishmaster20200
06-29-2018, 08:38 AM
That fishery has never been the same since they drained it. They likely planted some bows recently, but that brown is a real gem. Not many of those left, at least compared to many year's ago when you could catch them with ease. Used to be a Favorite lake of mine. Congrats on the Brown!

Genius
07-02-2018, 11:19 AM
Congrats on that brown. I used to really enjoy Caples. Went several times each summer. When my boys were young, I could always count the kids catching great fish near the dam and Woods Creek inlet. After the refill, they stocked regularly, including trophy sized rainbows. The past few years the fishing has been dismal. Usually a mac or some small bows but not enough to return often. Probably only good for a short time after stocking? It is a beautiful place. Osprey sightings, scenery, and great summer temps high up. I still hit it once a year hoping that the fishing is better. Recent sniffer article gives me hope.