PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a rod

dreadpyrat
07-07-2018, 05:10 PM
Hi all, I'm getting back into fishing after years and years away. I'm finding I've forgotten a lot of the basics; as I'm not getting any bites on my outings. I'm also noticing that my gear is probably not helping me much.

Basically, I want to shore fish for bass, trout, catfish. I'm in Northern California and live near the Mt.Tamalpias lakes/reservoirs.

My current gear is an old Roddy HUnter 5'6", 2-6lb line, Model H53 rod and an Okuma Steeler 30 reel.

I'd like to upgrade so I can cast further and tangle less. I need to be able to break the rod down to fit in my trunk but other than that an open to anything that is not too expnsive.

I'm not familiar with all the current brands and trends. What should I look at, for, and avoid? Looking for suggestions on rod, reel and line brand/color/weight.

Any advice at all us very much appreciated!
Rob

bish0p
07-07-2018, 07:22 PM
If you're new to rod building you could try a travel rod kit from Mudhole.

http://www.mudhole.com/kits-bundles/rod-building-kits/Travel-Rod-Kits

ls2goat
07-07-2018, 11:17 PM
Have you built a rod before? The initial cost of equipment and supplies can add up fast so keep that in mind if you are worried about expenses. Mudhole is a great site as Bish0p said. They have several kits, some of which include a rod wrapper and dryer and all the supplies needed. Another site to check is Getbitoutdoors.com, they seem to carry more high end stuff though and I believe they charge oversize fees on blanks. Both companies have very slow standard shipping, just so you know...

When I got started in rod building, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on equipment so I built my own hand wrapper and rod dryer for about $25. I recommend buying a handle reamer kit. You can't match the taper of the blank with a rat tail file.

If you have any other questions about rod building, I'll help if I can.

dreadpyrat
07-08-2018, 11:39 AM
Hi guys, I think I've misunderstood the meaning of this forum. Didn't realize it was for building rods from scratch! I was looking for gear recommendations. My mistake!

DeborahHickle
01-29-2019, 11:27 AM
It depends on how you intend to build a fishing rod, using pre-fabricated components or from scratch. And since I canít think of a single reason for anyone to do a fishing rod from scratch outside survival situation Iíll focus on the other one. Besides, if you need to ask how, fishing is probably not the best option for your survival needs. You can still smash, pick, spear or trap local flora and/or fauna depending on diet.

knotgillty
01-29-2019, 03:01 PM
If you want a durable rod that won't break the bank, an Ugly Stik will do.

It would help if you tell us your budget for a new rod & reel. That will help us steer you in the right direction.