PDA

View Full Version : Rockfish/Lings

sutterduckhunter
10-21-2018, 06:41 AM
I will be fishing out of Bodega in the near future and would like some help on being able to locate rock structure out in the Bodega vicinity. What's the best way to find the structure needed to locate the lings and cod? I don't think that running the fish finder/graph is going to be conducive with time. I hope hope this isn't a roundabout way of asking for your spot. It just feels like Im looking for a needle in a haystack for rock piles. Thanks!

MKE
10-21-2018, 06:55 AM
We always have good luck between Bird Rock and Elephant Rock.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Seon
10-21-2018, 04:05 PM
We always have good luck between Bird Rock and Elephant Rock.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Plus one https://seastriper.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbup.gif.

I took two of grand daughters for their first time fishing the ocean, there a bout three weeks ago and they had a ball catching Lings and Rockies.

BTW I always use my sonar to look for rocky structures below for fish for Lings and Rockfish.

brokea--boater
10-22-2018, 07:50 AM
Put Navionics charts on your phone, waypoint the reefs and ledges sitting at home before your trip. Run to those waypoints and use your electronics to find the reefs and fish. It'll be the best 10.00 you'll ever spend for fishing, fresh or salt. There is no secret spots out of Bodega, South towards Pt Reys or North to Ross/Timber, clean water, slow drift and squid for bait. Since the MLPA's got forced on us, BB has declined in quality of fish, but there is still decent fishing if you put in the effort. Make damn sure you can I.D a Black from a Blue, and a darker shaded Canary from a Vermillion, some can be close in color, because the fish cops can. Use Windy.com for you Wx forecast, the point and click is nice. Bring back a report, good or bad,,,gregg

Magnetwheel
10-22-2018, 02:48 PM
Sutter,

Take a look at Google Earth, will give you some solid info on where to start. Your sonar is key to keeping you in the right place when you find them-I have logged a lot of hours to mark my favorites. From the Bodega launch you really have two choices, go North or South. The area all around Bodega Head is closed to rockfishing South is 6-7 miles form the harbor and starting at Tomales Point to Elephant rock is good reef area. North is a 12-13 mile hike (this one is weather dependent unless you are in a large vessel) starting at Ft Ross Reef and beyond is good reefs with some hidden gems. Also typically get a following sea coming home. Good luck and report back on your trip! I will be there first week of Nov for crabs and rocks

sutterduckhunter
10-23-2018, 03:58 AM
Thanks for all the assistance guys! A friend and I went out yesterday (10/23) and decided to head north. The seas were nice, a little choppy, not able to run very quickly. We made one stop just north of the management area and it was crappy. Decided to head towareds Fort Ross, but came up short. We found a spot near the Russian and moved in semi-shallow.

I was catching pretty good, but was finding quite a few small fish and mostly blacks. I knew the limit on those so we caught our six pretty quick. Ended up with one decent ling and the rest a good mix of fish. Caught a few Chinese rockfish? I was identifying everything we caught via google pages. A lot of the prohibitive fish look similiar to others. We called it quits with 17 nice fish and headed in.

We got back to BB harbor and were greeted by the Fish Police. I was worried slightly, but thats normal i guess. The new Warden and his training officer checked our stuff and were very friendly. We passed the test thank goodness! Thanks again folks!