PDA

View Full Version : Kesterson, I drew it, never been there?

BigUnInDaBoat
12-18-2018, 09:29 PM
Anyone with experience there? Figured I'd take my GWT dekes, my 10 month old third kid (lab) and the old browning. Any advice on the better blinds? I got a #5 so should have a decent choice. Anyone ever shot a mallard there?

Waterdog
12-18-2018, 09:39 PM
Iíve never hunted it either. Let us know how you and the pup do.

BigUnInDaBoat
12-23-2018, 08:17 PM
Slow at the refuge today, many of the best blinds got skunked. I managed one GWT drake. Kesterson is amazing, the density of wildlife there is incredible. I saw a Bald eagle, redtail hawks, swainson hawks (? the ones that hover I think that's what they are called) dozens of species of birds, Quail, dove, pheasant (off limits and a nice rooster near my blind), I saw rabbits, and heard a couple groups of coyotes going nuts. I had one flock of GWT fly over about 15m into shoot time and only managed one. That was my only shot at duck today.33483

Won't let me upload more than one file, this was sunset last night

CAL.NDN
12-23-2018, 08:58 PM
http://www.sfbaywildlife.info/species/whitetailed_kite.htm I believe your talking about a white tailed kite. They are really cool used to see them alot now come vfc to think of it I havent seen one I a few years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BigUnInDaBoat
12-23-2018, 09:09 PM
http://www.sfbaywildlife.info/species/whitetailed_kite.htm I believe your talking about a white tailed kite. They are really cool used to see them alot now come vfc to think of it I havent seen one I a few years.

That looks like the culprit, there were a lot of them out there.

CAL.NDN
12-23-2018, 09:14 PM
Well that's good to hear. Really cool hawk how the hover like that I used to to see alot of them in Wilton and up here In Eldorado i would see them from time to time. But since you mentioned them i thought wow it's been about 3 years since i saw one.

Waterdog
12-24-2018, 09:45 AM
One bird is way better than no birds and sitting on the couch. Hunting fo me is about the entire experience and seeing wildlife and nature is what makes the experience special.
I see those kites all the time out at my pheasant club. Itís amazing how they can hover in mid air like a helicopter.
Great sunset pic.
Did your pup get to retrieve that bird? I still remember my labs first duck retrieve, it was awesome.

BigUnInDaBoat
12-24-2018, 10:54 AM
yes she did, I don't know if my pics are too big but it won't let me post them.