PDA

View Full Version : 2018: The Year of the Speedy Shiner!

Curmudgeon
12-28-2018, 02:39 PM
It was my first year fishing in several years and first with my own boat, and it would not have been near as successful and as enjoyable if not for all the help on this board. I asked a lot of questions and read a lot of posts to soak up as much information as possible.

One of the many great insights I learned about this past year was the incredible Speedy Shiner. I am fortunate to still have a good collection of trolling lures from past years that are still productive, but I had never even heard of a Speedy Shiner before coming to this board and it quickly made itís way to my go to lure of 2018.

I was only able to make 9 or 10 trout trolling trips this year, but netted at least one trout on every one of those trips with a Speedy Shiner Ė they have yet to let me down (I know that day is still coming).

Anyhow I was just going through my gear, and see that I now have already accumuated14 of these in 11 different colors. Of these 11 different versions, I caught trout on 7 different ones this year (the bass and crappie loved them too). In addition and appropriately so, one shiner was also sacrificed to the fish gods.

And now upon further review, I see that there are actually 33 different colors available and they come in three different sizes. Who knows they may some day rival my collection of Kastmasters, Needlefish and Flatfish!

Anyhow in 2019 I hope to make far less shopping trips and far more fishing trips.

Thanks again for all the help and hereís to a great 2019!

MtnFisher
12-29-2018, 12:37 PM
Of the three sizes available for Speedy Shiners which size do you recommend?

C20 2.5" 1/6oz

C21 3.25" 1/4oz

C22 4" 3/8oz

Jetspray
12-29-2018, 01:18 PM
I have a couple of boxes full of all sizes, they do work well. I just keep throwing them in till one size hits. Thing is though they need to be trolled fast and this time of year a slow troll with grubs will probably work better, I like orange for Topaz.......Jetspray

NEHPYX
12-29-2018, 01:56 PM
I too am stocked up on speedies, grubs and rapalas even though im a bass fisherman
but the high costs of entry fees make me go after trout each trip out for dinner.I have fished
comanche for 45 years new lures come up each year.The lures i use for bass these past few years
have turned into my lure of the decade for trout.I have 4 top colors that produce limits of trout
they are made by this genius http://www.lake-link.com/images/article_photos/2016/tMedia05_23_2016(1).jpg

Of course lure and technique isnt everything if you dont know where they hold up i have 7 top spots at comanche 5@pardee yeah theres more but you cant really cover them all in a day.

Waterdog
12-29-2018, 02:08 PM
Nice post Curmudgeon! I too discovered speedy shiners, it was about 3 years ago. I found out about them from Robbieís posts (Koke Machine). He was kind enough to share additional information with me. They are my go to lure now. Iíve fished them mostly at Camanche, and at Pardee and Shasta. I got my neighbor on to the biggest trout she has ever caught using speedy shiners up at lake Shasta. It was a 5+ pound brown.
MtnFisher, I personally use the 1/6 oz. mostly. I use the 1/4 oz size, but 70% of the time it the 1/6oz.
when i was targeting big browns at Shasta I used the 1/4 oz. speedy shiners. Often I run one line with 1/6 oz and the other with 1/4 oz. I have not used them larger than the 1/4 oz.
My personal favorite colors are red/copper, red/silver and fire tiger but Iíve caught trout on just about every color in my tackle box.
I donít know what it is about those speedy shiners but they are killer lures.