PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers or Flashers?

AnglingWes
05-28-2019, 06:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izNWuaZdNs4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izNWuaZdNs4

hooks
05-28-2019, 11:31 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190528/1d564d828b46a7b6a3a3e8c62808fde5.jpg

Left to right

Mini T hammered brass 13”
Used at smaller lakes with mini crawlers or worms Stampede, Boca, Donner, Prosser, Jackson Meadows, Independence, etc

Ford Fender Model T 15”
Worked best trolling live minnows on Tahoe
Different blade orientation

Ford Fender Model A 50/50 22” brass/ chrome
Worked best trolling live minnows on Tahoe

Dave Davis 22” hammered brass
Worked best trolling night crawlers on Tahoe

From an old guy in a tin boat....lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ldubs
05-29-2019, 11:06 AM
Huh, I was just wondering why I never see flashers anymore and then saw this video. Very informative - thanks.

Might have to dig mine out from the bottom of the box and give them a try.

Comment about old guys in a tin boat is priceless! :sentimental:

Waterdog
05-29-2019, 11:50 AM
Excellent video, great info re dodgers and especially flashers. You seldom see anyone other than old codgers using flashers now a days. My dad got me using them over 50 years ago and I still use them today. I use dodgers in some situations but like using flashers more. I’ve caught trout with them at such lakes as Pardee, Camanche, Don Pedro , Shasta , Trinity, and many more. Also have used them in smaller mountain lakes successfully. Don’t know why they have fallen in popularity over the years. I currently use a variety of Seps flashers and like his micro mini flashers the best. I say if you aren’t familiar with flashers get some and give them a try.

Ldubs
05-29-2019, 10:07 PM
One reason to prefer a dodger is less weight being dragged through the water, especially with a fish on.

Jetspray
05-29-2019, 10:49 PM
I carry two wallets on board every time I go. Dodgers in the 8 inch class work with larger hoochies in lakes like Pyramid or Tahoe due to the size of fish. This is to have them on board to try out, these wallets can hold a bunch of flashers as well a dodgers and keep them out of the way until you want to try one. It is very simple more flash more attraction as the fish see them as a school of bait moving. When you are using flashers make sure you vary speed and move from side to side, stopping from time to time letting them fall like leaves.:fish_jumps:.......Jetspray

Jetspray
05-30-2019, 03:43 AM
They can also be labeled as "worm cases" or other things. My "Wallets" are of different sizes and shapes, some roll up some have plastic Ziploc type re-enforced bags on rings. I probably have around 20 in the assortment all labeled on the outside with what is inside. Different setups and plastics or even hook weights for those plastics to make lures with. I have found them helpful and you can purchase them from most places online. I do have plastic boxes as well and bags to carry those with. If you have a boat and need to remove them and store them they are a blessing.....Jetspray

Mr Ed
05-30-2019, 08:47 AM
Both catch fish.... both do their "Thing" with the lures chosen.

True the Dodger does have a LOT less resistance when bringing in a fish.........

but the Troll blades have a rudder that will accept a weight to where one does NOT
need a D/R to get the offering down to the target area.

Tight lines.