PDA

View Full Version : Mendota slough update

vini-v
07-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Finally luck has changed and we cought fish last night daystarchis and myself went to the mendota slough and snagged a few nice cats, both of our big ones were lost, Robbs line was cut by his bell teeth and my hook unraveled somehow as the fish fought at the shore both fish in the 10 pound range (guessing), one that did'nt get away a decent sized helfighter here which we photoed and released for another day and hopefully a few pounds heavier.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7412/dscf00545zb.jpg

vini-v
07-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Just gonna throw a yesterdays sunset shot in here to it's gorgous out there nice cool breeze blowing.....

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8862/dscf00505kb.jpg

Diego916
07-05-2005, 07:57 AM
Pics aren't showing, vini.

Sounds like you had a good night. :)

Diego916
07-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Pics are showing now.

What bait were you using? Rig?

daystarchis
07-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Hey Diego916,
We were useing liver, chovies and shad. Caught the bigger ones on liver. We were useing surf rigs and carolinas. Ran out of Rusty's dip bait :'( I have caught many 10 lb.+ there. That was one of my honey holes.

Robb

daystarchis
07-07-2005, 01:12 PM
I am ready to go back out there. You ready Vini??????

Robb

vini-v
07-07-2005, 01:56 PM
I am ready to go back out there. You ready Vini??????

Robb

YUP I'M READY ;D

daystarchis
07-07-2005, 07:19 PM
COOL BRO!!!!! Will be ready.

Robb

daystarchis
07-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Ok guys.... Here is the low down on last night at the slough. Vini and I Fished from 7 pm till 2 am. Got some many shakers. Small stirpers came in and raised havok. Could not keep our bait out there for more than 15 min and was get ripped off. Caught several stripers close to the reg size. Took a lil walk down from where my 2 poles were and casted out a looper rig with hog wild (Sonny's bait is in the mail) and set my pole down. My pole was a lil cheapy durango I got at walleys world for $7.00. I was fishing in a bunch of weeds. I thought to my self, "how in the world will I get any fish or my lure back up here through the brush and weeds"? Well all of a sudden, bam! My lil pole went down. I eventually worked through the brush a 4 lb. channel. I have caught bigger, but the circustance with the cheap lil pole and ALL THE BRUSH, made for an exciting fight!

vini-v
07-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Wheres yur piture man? lemme see if i can get it uploaded forya showoff ;D

There it izzzz nice cat clean, fresh looking and healthy fish
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/DSCF0057.jpg

vini-v
07-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Good thing we did'nt hook something huge
some idiot(myself) forgot the net,.

i won't forget it again i took it out of the
rafters and nailed it in front of my truck can't
miss it next time....

Robbs great company fishing plus we
have alot in common, gotta reach out
guys and meet people in you're area
plus i hate fishing alone glad i met
Robb he's good people and a damn good fishermen ..

daystarchis
07-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Hey guys.... Went out last night and found and got permission to fish on private land. Also got the OK to use 2 poles at James Road and at the slough that runs on the private land. Caught 4 cats between 4-5 lb. and a 28 in striper. Will be going out Fri or Sat. Anyone game?????? Let me know. It was beautiful out there last night, but sure tired here at work LOL. Anyone up for some fishing, let me know.

Robb

vini-v
07-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Sounds like i shooda gone just to tired and overheated man from work that day.

BUT next friday the ol lady will be going back home so i'm game for Friday or Saturday night Bro, lemme know.

daystarchis
07-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Brian and I went out to Mendota Slough for an over nighter. Caught 14 cats. 4 or 5 large ones (4-7 lb.)The other 8 cats were 2-3 lb. Caught al of them except several on Sonny's dip bait. I am at work right now and have not been to sleep. Hope Brian can tell the story. All I can say it was a BEAUTIFUL night. I took picts, but will have to download them.

Robb

vini-v
07-21-2005, 08:24 PM
KOOL the sonnys dip bait is working then ;)

The ol lady is leavin tomorrow I've had a fantastic vacation BUT i may be starting a couple of jobs this weekend BUT I WILL BE AVAILABLE if you're available for a night out under the stars LOL(no i aint romancin yewwwww) :olemme know Bro....

daystarchis
07-21-2005, 10:48 PM
I may be able to go Fri or Sat. I will tell you that the big ones did not start hitting till about 2 am. That was the norm last week. I went out there last Wed, Fri and Sat. All the big ones did not start hitting till real early in the morning ??? The 2 5#, 6 1/2#, 7#, 7 1/2# and 8# all between 2 and 5 AM. I took picturs and wait till you see all the fish. I came across another sweet honey hole. No one fishes it! If you like bluegill and crappie, I can show you a place to get a bucket full too. Glad you had a great time (you sure needed it ;)) Give me a call.

Robb

vini-v
07-22-2005, 03:49 PM
left ya message tomorrow would be good , have to paint an apartment that will take part of the day but i'm up for an all nighter saturday, and heck ya love to get some crappy or Bgils :o

daystarchis
07-24-2005, 10:36 AM
Hey Vince,
Sorry I could not wet a line with ya. Catfishing 5 days out of 10 and with out a lot of sleep, left me broke and burned out. I will take a rain check though ;)
How did ya do last night bro?

Robb

vini-v
07-24-2005, 02:22 PM
We got skunked they just sucked our bait all night long you know how that goes.

I think i had one good hit but that was it and MY GOD the BUGS DUDE not just mosquitoes but coachroaches and beatles and and and LOL had to put our long sleeves on they were BUGging us so much. We left around 11:30 it was getting ridiculous.

We'll get them next time this kid i took loves to fish i was sorry he did'nt catch at least one but like i told him, sometimes you have to put in some time first before you aprreciate a nice catch he's ready to go back anytime i was glad to hear.

Diego916
07-24-2005, 04:03 PM
I've found a small fire can really help with the bugs.

vini-v
07-24-2005, 05:09 PM
Diego yeah we would have if we were going to stay a little longer believe me it passed my mind.

Hey Robb i found something interesting about Chihuahuas there not really dogs LOLOLOLOLOL

http://www.watleyreview.com/2004/052504-3.html

daystarchis
07-24-2005, 05:13 PM
You are right Diego916... A small fire can help some, but out there the problem is if you light a lantern, ther bugs will come. lol! I put a lantern a ways from my truck, or no lantern at all and just use my head light. I bet bugs got in your back of the truck, huh? I forgot to mention that. sorry vince. Anyways, where did you fish at vince?

Robb

vini-v
07-24-2005, 07:49 PM
The spot you told me about was taken so we pulled a little ways past the point beyond the bridge and found a nice spot.

LOL my truck was full of bugs i had the lanterns hanging off the back, had the liver piled on the tail gate it looked like it had been smothered in ground pepper from all the bugs :o

If i'm not broiled to death from the heat and not too overworked(carp load of work this week and weekend) i'll head back out maybe Saturday night lemme know friday if'n yur game to go...

daystarchis
07-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Vince...Ya'll knows me better than that bro! You's know I am always willing ;) Let me know. Saturday will probably be better if we do go out. Keep me posted bro!

Robb

vini-v
07-26-2005, 03:09 PM
I'll let you know i have side job saturday thats going to take most of the day but we'll probably quit early so this old man can get some rest before going out there.

Sitting here waiting on my new Dell to be delivered got me a monster computer this time 3 gig processor 1 gig ram, fat CPU all dat good stuff .......this one here just keeps compootering out on me :P

daystarchis
07-27-2005, 08:46 PM
Let me know Vince about wetting a line.

New PC??? Sounds like you got a speedster there. Let me know how it works.

robb

daystarchis
07-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Vince,
So my Chihuahuas are rodents huh? LOL!!!!! People sure like to buy my rodents. ROFLOL! Just had a litter last night. $$$$$$.

robb

daystarchis
07-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Hey Vince,
You still planning on doing some fishing tonight or tomorrow? Let me know bro.

Robb

vini-v
07-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Vince,
So my Chihuahuas are rodents huh? LOL!!!!! People sure like to buy my rodents. ROFLOL! Just had a litter last night. $$$$$$.

robb

LOL no not me, they sure look like dogs cute too ;D

vini-v
07-29-2005, 03:35 PM
Hey Vince,
You still planning on doing some fishing tonight or tomorrow? Let me know bro.

Robb

Not tonight i am going over right now to prep and get ready the apartment I have to paint so all i have to do tomorrow is paint it and have the evening off for fishin, sound good canya wait? or are you going out tonight?

I'll check back later need to git......

vini-v
07-29-2005, 03:36 PM
Let me know Vince about wetting a line.

New PC??? Sounds like you got a speedster there. Let me know how it works.

robb
This thing is AWESOME

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/DSCF0094.jpg

Yeah i got a kitty most pad SO WHAT lol

vini-v
07-29-2005, 03:40 PM
Heres my desktop

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/desktop.jpg

daystarchis
07-29-2005, 05:40 PM
Very nice PC!!!!! It will diffinatly get the job done and then some! Yep, I will be ready bro tomorrow. I am sticking around the house tonight. Probably jump in the pool and relax. I will pick up some liver in the morning.

Robb

Mad_Russian
07-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Where is Mendota slough?

daystarchis
07-29-2005, 08:52 PM
Mendota Slough is just east of I5 and south of San Luis Resevoir. It is 40 min East of Fresno.

Robb

Mad_Russian
07-29-2005, 09:07 PM
Thanks for info, Robb.......Too far for me, i live in Sac

vini-v
07-29-2005, 09:39 PM
its just a big ol muddy hole we fishin ;)

Robb i'll call you once i get home it'll be in the afternoon sometime also we better bring some wood for a fire to ward off all them bugzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzz lol

vini-v
07-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Very nice PC!!!!! It will diffinatly get the job done and then some!
Robb

it better for at least the next 5 years thats how long its gonna take me to pay it off,,,,,i'm hoping to do some movie editing hopefully we can catch some nice fish i can catch on camera i have a site to upload too now where they can be watched if i can figure this stuff out, i'm not even amature status geek yet... :-/

daystarchis
07-30-2005, 07:53 AM
I have some wood, not a whole lot, but enough that may do the job (i think) lol. I gather it up.

Robb

daystarchis
08-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Will be going out to the slough Sat evening with Vini. May try to talk him into fishing James Rd. 8) Anyone want to join us let us know. I believe there will be a new moon. It should be a good cat and carp bite!

Robb

vini-v
08-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Damn i should have picked up those wood stumps on the side of the road i saw yesterday now i can't remember where they were, maybe we'll runs across some on the way.

We can try james road i got a hit there last time i was there but did'nt stay very long.

Long day working again so freaken hot man went off on my ol lady, damn that girl needs a girlfriend so she can do her chatting with LOL i'm not too chatty katty ya know? :-/

seeya around 6:30

daystarchis
08-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Just got back from Mendota around 3 am. They were biting good all night long! Vince and I got there around 7 pm. Brian was all ready there. He had landed numerous ones. All eating size1-2 lb. Was catching em on dip bait. There were no stripes biting. Caught a very nice and beautiful channel that went over 5 lb. Get this!!!! Caught her on Carne Asada. I brought out some links and some carne Asada that had calantro, onions and lemon marinating in the bag. Ate em with warmed up corn tortillas. Well, I told the boys, I am gonna put a hunk of that asada on the hook. 10 min later, a 5+ lb. Channel. It was a beautiful night, fire going and great runs. Seen 3-4 possumns. One followed me down a path. They sure are nosey. I told it, "can't a man take a crap in peace. It just watched. LOL. Followed me back to camp. Man the coyotes were alive last night. Packs of them were howling.
Oh man... You all should see the shad out there! I am ordering a throw net. They are about 10-20 ft out. Minnow are at the shore. Nice large to jumbo ones.

Robb

vini-v
08-07-2005, 06:05 PM
I could barely believe you were serious about the carne asada meat LMBO but i watched him put it on the hook and plunk it out there next thing I know I hear the bell ringin and 5 minutes later he lands a gorgous cat, that carna was good eaten stuff *BTW.

Yeah nice night I wished we'd just brought our bags out and slept there, sleep right under thoughs stars. I get to feeling a litte neanderthalish out there LOL open fire standing under the open sky, breathing in all the fresh air I love going out there even if we don't catch fish or only a few, like I said its the only place I get peace of mind,,, honestly!

Thanks again Robb for sharing it with me.

daystarchis
08-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Yep, there is nothing like it bro. The daily grind is left behind when out there. Hey.... Thank you for your friendship bro. I really enjoy fishing with you. Can't wait to see the video. Man dude, can't believe my shorts fell while running to grab my pole. ROFLOL!!!!! That was priceless!

Robb

Wolf74
08-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Sounds like quite a trip. Don't ya just hate it when possums stare while your doing your business hehehe.

vini-v
08-09-2005, 04:20 PM
Possums an ugly animal looks like an overgrown rat.

I try to get my business done before i go out there so i don't have to do it in the woods, Robb you seem to enjoy it to much LOL.

The software i have that edits the slides cut that part out Robb you're safe LMBO.......wish i had more control it would have been in that darn movie :o

Ok welp i have to work all weekend i have two side jobs for the University to do so while you're out enjoying life i'll be grumbling over the work, but i have no choice i'll starve in the winter if i don't do it now, and this boys gotta eat.

daystarchis
08-12-2005, 03:10 AM
Brian and I will be heading out to Mendota today for an over nighter. Anyone want to join us, give me a hollar!

Robb

vini-v
08-12-2005, 01:35 PM
AH CARP i have to work early in the morning i may come out for a bit later this evening Robb , i got tomorrows job all prepped and ready for early morning paint.

daystarchis
08-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Cool bro... If you can get out there, give me a call at: 367-2685

Robb

daystarchis
08-13-2005, 03:57 AM
Ok... Just got back this morning around 4 am. Caught 6 cats all over 4# and the largest going a lil over 10# Caught them all but 1 on dip bait. We used liver, large chovies. The lone cat was on liver. Caught a huge hog and got in tangled up in some summerged tree limbs. I seen it and it was over 3 feet long. probably would of broke my mendota record of 16# :'(. Beautiful night with an awesome meteor shower light show.

Robb

vini-v
08-13-2005, 06:44 AM
DA*N YOU GUYS lol

I may go out this evening i have to get this apartment done today first.

I'm going to try and make some stink bait up today too i have an idea about that peanut butter liver and anchovie spread LOLOLOLOL

Ok off to work this stinks man glad you guys did so well hope you have pics to see ( i know you did )

daystarchis
08-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Be careful with that spread ;D You know the spot we fished that had all the moss? The spot across the river by the tree? I told you was a real good spot. The channel runs next to that side of the river. I guess 15 yards out. Anyway, it's a lil walk over the bridge (15 min) That spot is smoking!!!!! Started off at a cove past that spot (that walk killed me) I caught a 5# there and some nice strikes. Fished that spot till 10 pm. Should of fished at the spot we went back to :( Got back to the spotaround 11 ish and caught 5 there. The bite stoped around 2 am. We watch some more meteors for an hour and called it a night. Bite was non stop. Was useing Sonny's, Bonkers, and hog wild. Sonny's is the bait man!!!!! I keep telling people, but they don't believe me :-/ I am ordering a bucket of that
s&%t man 8) Wife had a very low blood sugar and the perimedics came to my house, so thats another reason why we left early. She is ok now, but the phone call from my daughter scared the hell out of me bro!!!! I am so glad we decided not to go to the delta last night. Heck, I do better at the slough anyways ;) That canal over the bridge is a hot spot right now too. Hardly anyone out there last night. What is wrong with people bro??? The slough always produces nice fish, and the pressure is so low. Oh well, leave more kitty's for us. Oh... And wait till you see the pics. they are all channels and very very fat healthy ones at that.

Robb

vini-v
08-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Sorry about the wife hope something can be done for her situation its not good. Theres always the web i've found alot of stuff on here several situations i have had i've found help with.

I just could'nt push myself out the door after i got home today, see how i feel in the morning going to bed early might try a early morning trip if i can get up around 4-5am.

I'm gonna make that stuff up tomorrow LOL. Glad you guys did well.

vini-v
08-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Got up to Millerton this morning not as early as i'd liked, cought a small cat, 1/2 pound channel nice looking fish and a few bluegills.

vini-v
08-20-2005, 08:05 AM
Welp i made my spread but i had no way of keeping it on the hook, tried several variations, a piece of sock,that did'nt work then i tried mixing the stuff with some of that sticky pink trout bait and got it pretty sticky then wrapped some paint strainer material around it but they just sucked the stuff right off I need some of those stink bait holders ordering some today.

No fish again but it was really nice out there, tried getting ahold of you Robb.

daystarchis
08-20-2005, 08:57 AM
Hey Vince.... Sorry dude, Didn't realize you called till this morning. Got home late last night. Which spot did ya hit? It looked like it would be a nice night. Weather starting to cooperate :) I am down loading the picts from last week. Check out Catfish connection. Oh...I forgot, I gave you a catalogue from there. There are some new tubes that Brian picked up from there that are awesome. I will look em up and tell you the name. The bait holders are pretty important. But the question I have is did you get any hits on it? If so, that is great to hear. Just need to perfect it a lil bit and the consitancy. Linburger cheese is great to thicken it up plus it stinks as all get out.

Robb

vini-v
08-20-2005, 02:36 PM
yeah tell me which bait holders to get they were hitting the stuff i made LOL peanut butter, anchovies and liver all mooshed up together then i added that flourescent trout bait to thicken it up HEH HEH but they were just sucking it right off thru the material i had wrapped around it.

We got one of the points just beyond the bridge those other guys we were talking with had the other side tons of those little nippers taking our bait all night.

God these lat nighters really mess me up feel like i was up all night drinkin, my problem is not matter what time i go to bed i wake up at 7-7:30 i got to bed around 3am up at 7am UGHhhhhhh.

Do you use the same ID on catfish connect?

vini-v
08-20-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm on the online catalog right now looking at the tube worms, which ones do i need to get?

daystarchis
08-31-2005, 06:15 PM
Hey Vince....I owe you $13.00 for that tub of Sonny's. That sonny's is killer on thise kitty's. Maybe going out there Sunday for an over nighter. You up for it? Let me know.

Robb

vini-v
09-01-2005, 06:52 AM
It's not here yet Robb i'm sure they used the slowest method to ship since it's free so i figure it will be here soon.

I'm not sure yet whether i have monday off waiting to see we're really busy, SO BUSY that they told us no more vacations during june,july and august LMBO i get one week a year and they think there going to tell me when i can take it I DON'T THINK SOOOOOOOOO.

I'll callya tomoorow i was wanting to go out friday night i bought cows liver this time see how that'll work.

fish_hunter
09-01-2005, 11:10 AM
Hey guys. I used to live near Mendota, in tiny Five Points about 8 years ago and used to fish for stripers in the Mendota slough all the time. I'm heading down there, from Sacramento, this weekend and plan on going fishing in the Mendota area, how has the striper bite been going? Thanks in advanced.

daystarchis
09-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Hey fish hunter.... Vince and I maybe out there Friday evening. Last week we fished the back side of the refuge off James Rd. (tranquility). Very nice spot, Brian from BOC caught several. We all had hits and several nice runs. you need to wade through the small dinks to get to the larger ones. Maybe we'll see ya out there.

Robb

vini-v
09-02-2005, 10:36 PM
We'll be out there tomorrow night rain or shine ;D more then likely very shiny tomorrow.

I have a GMC half ton Sierra white w/shell AND 5 gold stars on the back ;) .

I know for fact there are big cats out there i have'nt seen big stripers, i think Robb cought a 20" something once?

vini-v
09-10-2005, 10:12 PM
We cought alot of fish last night.

Most were in the 1 pound range one went between 4-5 pounds and almost all of them on Sonnys stink bait.

Finally the weathers cooling down got brisk out around midnight, great fishin weather.

hillbilly
09-14-2005, 10:29 AM
We need to hook up "vince" ;D Maybe this Sat? I am free.

vini-v
09-17-2005, 07:06 AM
Done deal will be heading out this evening ;)

araiderfreak
09-22-2005, 08:39 AM
It sounds like you guys have found a preety good place for Cats. There's one thing I wanted to warn you guys about. Just because a property owner said it was all right to use 2 poles in a slough that runs by his property doesn't mean DFG will agree.

I was at the Sutter Bypass Catfishing using Shad for bait. Then after awhile I decided to switch to Crawdads. I baited up another pole and casted it out then realed in the other one. This way I always had something in the water. The only thing was the first pole got snagged. I then tried to unhook it for a few minutes before breaking it off. Within five minutes I hooked into a 10 lb Channel Cat on the second pole. Before I could even dry my hands off after releasing it 2 Wildlife Marshals were getting out of an unmarked pickup that was parked behind my truck. Guess what? They were heading right for me and I could tell that they were not happy.

While one officer talked to me the other one seamed to be real interested in the back of my truck. One of the first things he asked was where I put the fish I caught. Right then I realized these guys had been watching me for a while, or at least 15 minutes or so. I told them that I practiced catch and release about 90% of the time and had let it go. This they did not beleive. So after letting them look through my icechest and the back of my truck I had them convinced. They even told me how much the liked fishermen that fished that way.

Then the second officer asks me if I was fishing with 2 poles as he's holding the one I broke off. About right now I realized that these guys had been watching me alot longer than 15 minutes. I also realized that I might be in some trouble. I knew that they had seen me getting my first pole unsnagged while the other one was already in the water. Knowing this I had no reply for his question and didn't say anything. While I just stood there in disbelief thinking about how I'm going to get a ticket for breaking a Sportfishing Law, he points to a leavie at least a mile a way. He then tells me they have been watching me through their spyglasses for at least a half an hour and saw both of my poles in the water at the same time. I then told him if he saw me then I must have been. I knew I had 2 poles in the water at the same time, which by the law is wrong, but I had an explanation. I then told them how I was trying to keep bait in the water at all times and had just gotten snagged. They didn't care and told me I was still breaking the law. After running a warrant check on me and talking it over between the two of them they came back. For a split second I thought they were going to give me a break with a warning then out comes the ticket book from his back pocket. He then made sure that I knew they were giving me a break by telling me he could take all my fishing gear and also inpound my truck.

They let me continue fishing if I wished to. So ends up I had a 200 dollar fishing trip. Worked out to 50 bucks an hour to fish. I couldn't beleive it. I also realized that they were just waiting for me to catch a fish. I think things might have gone alittle different if I had kept that 10 pounder.

Not telling you guys what to do but I thought everyone should know how serious they are about this rule. Trust me I was preety embarrased and ashamed to get this kind of ticket. Up till now I've only told 2 other people about it. Oh well, Live and learn.

Happy Fishin,

Ken, aka araiderfreak

vini-v
09-23-2005, 01:59 PM
DFG themselves sell a second pole fishing stamp, now i'm not sure if it's allowed everywhere or not but the sleugh is run by the DFG so i ASSume its legal there on the mendotta i could be wrong?

they've all but shut down our fishing spot its now open only to duck hunters how bout that , there are still some areas open but not like it was. Last weekend we cought a few a guy down aways from us pulled out a 10 pounder, i think he was drunk or something and did'nt put the fish on his stringer right because about an hour later the fish was gone somehow got off the stringer HEH HEH you know we baited up with fresh bait right after hearing him HOWL from losing that fish.

Another guy i know from the paint store he fishs out there and cought a nice 9 pound striper last week, gorgous fish he showed me pics and fed his family of 6 with it too :)

We mostly catch and release also i have not taken a fish home to eat yet.

dandeuce
09-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Don't ASSume anything with Fish & Game , they don't too often give warnings . The 2 pole stamp is good ONLY IN LAKES AND RESERVOIRS !

Tight Lines , Dan

vini-v
09-27-2005, 06:33 PM
Thats good to know then Dan thanks .

I usually have 3 poles going i don't like going half way with anything :o

vini-v
09-29-2005, 03:35 PM
Hilbilly i have a spot to fish on the aqauduct .

vini-v
12-30-2005, 05:48 PM
We figured we better stay close to home this week we'd planned on going up North but with all the rain we cancelled and went out to Mendotta, and we DONE GOOD TODAY ;D 9 pounder and 4lb and 5lbr and some 1 pounders

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/OURFATSTRINGER.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/Robbs9pounder.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/SOMEFISH.jpg

appleinorange
12-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Vini, do you ever fish Mendota from a boat?

vini-v
12-30-2005, 08:55 PM
No just off the bank . Right now if you have a boat you can lift you can get it in, the water is like 30 feet down way past the boat dock and slick mud so no way to back down to the water.

Like to fish it with a boat though you'd have alot more access to areas you can't get to unless you walk and they don't get fished much because of that also theres large mouth bass in there and crappie.

appleinorange
12-31-2005, 01:30 PM
Vini, let me know when the water comes back up. I have a 14 ft. boat that will fish 3 comfortable. We will do it.

vini-v
01-01-2006, 07:15 AM
OK i see you're in orangecove thats not that far from us here it should be around March i think when the water starts coming back up, not sure i only started fishing out there in July but i'll ask Robb and find out.

The guys i see in boats fish the banks and submerged trees for large mouth and crappie I saw what looked to be 2 pound crappie on a stringer of nice bass a few guys caught on live minnows several weeks back.

Theres a run off stream on the other side of the sleugh thats supposed to be really good fishing since the only way back there is by foot or boat so it does'nt get fished much at all we'll have to hit that spot for sure.

vini-v
01-23-2006, 09:31 AM
I better give an update.

The fishings been fair to good in mendotta the water levels have risen but when they were down low as they were in the first pictures there with Robb we did really good one day caught 5 cats in 5 hours biggest 9-1/2 pounds and smallest was 5 pounder.

heres some pics,

Robbs 9-1/2 lb'r

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/9poundchannelcat.jpg

THE STRINGER
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/DSCF0009.jpg

My 6lb'r

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/vinis6.jpg

Brian even caught a nice sized shad and a few blue gill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/Brisshad.jpg

Also there catching some really good size crappie out there Robb caught a 2 pound fish a few weeks back on homegrown red worms LOL

nightfisher
01-31-2006, 09:23 PM
Nice Looking fish! I am headed out tomorro. I hope i do as well as you all did.

vini-v
04-16-2006, 08:47 AM
We hit the Delta Mendota thats a little further up then the sleugh area we usually fish.

This is the area where the mendota and San Jauguin meet up with the Delta mendota canal and heres what we found there, there were also alot of stripers be caught in the delta mendota canal though we only fished an hour for them before finding a spot on what I think was the San Jauquin river but could have been the mendota canal, we're not sure need to look on the topical map and find out exactly where we were :-/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/My10pounder.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/DSC00083.jpg

NVcatfishunter
04-16-2006, 04:25 PM
nice fish [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

nightfisher
04-28-2006, 04:52 PM
nice looking catch!!!!!!!! the weather is getting right!!!!

vini-v
05-01-2006, 06:44 AM
Last nights fish guys 7-9 pounders its definetly warming up and there hungry monsters. I lost a HUGE fish, it rolled on top of the water spit at me >:( and jammed, ripped the hook right out of its MAW.

Here are Robbs fish I got one little stripper so played net man for the night.

Oh yeah caught them on the San Jauquin near Delta Mendota canal , this is our second trip out to that area and tried a new spot that whole river area is packed with fish, we may fish a 100 yard area and pull between 4 and 7 fish out, so its loaded with fish

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/robbsfish.jpg

559fish
05-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Im from Fresno, where can I get a bucket full of crappies and bluegills? What area are you guys fishing at? I would like to know. Thanks for any help.

vini-v
05-26-2006, 06:40 AM
559fish we're having a small gathering this weekend starting this evening till sunday morning its out at the mendota slough

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/mndotamap1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/map1.jpg

CHeck you're mail box here i left you a number to call if you need better directions 559

559fish
05-26-2006, 09:47 AM
Hey thats the same area where I use to fish at. I use to fish there before they put the loading dock right there. And the gathering spot is close to the bridge right? I wont be able to go out there any time soon. My wife is about to have baby soon and I dont no when, so I dont want to be out fishing then have her call me and tell me that her water broke. I just want to be on the safe side for now.

By any chance can you tell me the area that you guys are getting the bluegills and crappies? I have a 2 year old boy and he needs some training first. He wont be able to handle those kitties yet. Thanks.

vini-v
05-30-2006, 06:37 AM
Well we caught just a few bluegill out there this weekend nice ones though good eaters.

We go past the bridge and you'll come to a pipe sticking out the side of the bank right there to the left of the bank is a huge pump surrounded by cyclone fence, we fish all along that bank for the blugill.

I have yet to get a crappie out there but around the trees using live minnows you have a chance at a nice large mouth bass and I know the crappie are in there you just have to hunt them down. Fish around that pipe sticking out the bank thats where most of the bluegill are at.

vini-v
05-30-2006, 06:39 AM
also alot of small stripers are biting maybe set the boy up with a small hook and a chunk of liver and he can catch 15" stripers all day long :o

559fish
05-30-2006, 08:09 AM
Hey thanks vini. I should have went there last Sunday, but instead I took him to Pine Flat. Had a great time there with him, but the dam lake and parking was pack. Wont be going there again any time soon. That 15" stripier is not small. Thats a good size striper. I might be going out there this sunday. Not sure yet. Is so, we will be going in the morning. Hope to see you out there if we go. Thanks again vini.

vini-v
05-30-2006, 01:36 PM
I have to work Saturday but if i'm done just may get out there Sunday mornin early and give it a try I dirve a big white GMC with a shell and 5 stars on the back window ;)

559fish
05-31-2006, 08:12 AM
Im still thinking about Sunday. But not sure now. Wife is going to be in labor soon. Went to the hospital last night, but they sent us back home. So it can be anytime soon. But maybe she will want some time alone with the baby so I can take my son out Sunday morning. We will just have to wait and see now. Ill be looking for your car if Im able to make it.

559fish
05-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Hey vini. I have a map here of the fishing spot. Im not sure if I go pass the bridge or over it. And how far do I have to go until I get to the pipe. I only see one pump in the map. Can you pinpoint where you are fishing at for the bluegills? This map might be outdated. Thanks.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4848/mendotawildlife3hi.jpg

fresnofshfan
05-31-2006, 11:52 AM
Ive always wanted to fish the Mendota area. What are the rules??
Fire? Sleep there? Fish All night?
From the pics it looks like you are doing night fishing as well.
I like to drink beer when I fish so Id like to be able to sleep it off before driving. I have a 4x4 pickup with campershell, can I drive right down to the water, or close to it?? Mabey I just need to show up with beer, bait and tackle, and you guys can show me how its done!

catstallker
06-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Fishfan..... It is free to camp and launch a boat. You can fish right from your car/truck at the bank. Fires are allowed also. Vini and I fish out there all the time. Just spent 2 nights and 3 days out there camping. I been hunting and fishing the west side of Fresno all my life. Ain't nothing like some beer and copenhagen while catfishing ;)

vini-v
06-02-2006, 06:14 PM
559 go past the bridge and about another 1/2 mile back is the pipe. But I would hit spots that look good along the way theres hyacence out there that might have some gills in it little tough to fish from the bank but you can fish the edges cloes to the bank.

It's all FREE out there guys thats what makes it nice and open fires are ok. If you fish the evenings you may need it on BUG nights cause out there they get thick if the winds not blowing, take Mosquito repellant also LOTS OF IT :o

vini-v
06-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Anytime fishfan we'll post here when we plan on going out maybe we can meet up sometime this summer.

I'm pretty busy right now so it may be a few weeks before I get back out, going to try for early sunday morning this weekend but i doubt i'll get all the work done I have saturday but i'll check in here let you guys know.

559fish
06-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks. Im going out there for sure this Sunday morning. Ill be fishing out there by the bridge with a few guys. Hope to see you out there.

vini-v
06-03-2006, 02:41 PM
OK man i'm either going out this evening or early early in the mornin hope to see you 559

vini-v
06-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Hey it was good to meet 559fish & son this morning ;).

I got skunked today just 1 little bite on some nightcrawler, how'd you guys do 559?

vini-v
06-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Heres a little video I made today while out there practicing with my new rod and reel since the fish were'nt biting much.

http://media.putfile.com/fissh

Steve_J.
06-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Heres a little video I made today while out there practicing with my new rod and reel since the fish were'nt biting much.

You are getting to be a semi-pro with that camera Vini. Do you use a tripod?

vini-v
06-05-2006, 04:54 AM
Yeah I have a cheap tri pod setup it's sweet .

My brother inlaw is a movie actor he showed me everything I know :DLoL

559fish
06-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Hey vini it was nice to meet you out there. My son had a great time out there. Tired him out though. We didnt do to well also. I just caught a good 20" cat early in the morning on anchovie. Didnt have a scale so I couldnt weight it. Guessing around 4-8 lbs. Not sure. And caught about 4 small ones and released them. The other guys got skunked too. It just wasnt biting that day. Usually I'll do good out there. It was our first time out there this season, so we wer just testing out the waters.

We tried everything out there, but just wasnt hitting. Maybe we will try some stink bait. But I heard that crickets are good out there.

Ill let you know when we will be going out there next time. Maybe we will try to go out in the evening instead of the early morning.

vini-v
06-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Next chance I get to get out i'll holler at you guys we may be looking at Saturday evening, it is better fishing at night for sure.

We got stink baits a couple of the best made 559 I have plenty ;)

So you're boy slept like a rock after that huh LoL thats sweet man you're a lucky guy..

559fish
06-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Yeah he slept all the way home. I feel like going out there again, but not for a while. Let me know when you are going out there again. Saturday evening sounds good. We probably will not stay too late. Maybe get there at 5-6 pm and leave at 10-11 pm.

We want to check out Bass Ave. I heard it has stripers over there. I would like to catch a few of those babies.

vini-v
06-06-2006, 08:43 PM
We fish the San Jauquin river off Bass avenue and there are some huge cats in there but the waters way to high right now. I yet to catch a big striper still a dream of mine ::)

559fish
06-07-2006, 07:32 AM
The aquaduct has some good stripers their. I know a few spots there. And I know a good bait to use for them. Its a guarantee bait that you will catch a striper. Big or small.

vini-v
06-08-2006, 06:08 AM
We fished the Aqauduct 2 times last year and did ok caught a few nice cats and I lost a huge striper one night it may be time to hit that spot again 559 :o

Ok man you did'nt say what that magic bait is so you have me wondering :-/

vini-v
06-09-2006, 04:55 PM
We'll be out at the Helm canal or the delta mendota canal in Mendota this evening fishing for striper and cats anyone want to join us, take 180 whitesbridge road all the way out past mendota then you'll see the canals I drive a big white GMC truck we'll be on the bank somewheres.

559fish
06-09-2006, 09:24 PM
The magic bait is worms. Blood worms and pile worms. They are pretty expensive though, but they work really good. A few years ago I caught 7 big ones in a few hours. That was when the limit is 5 and I gave 2 to my friend. Give that a try. Im thinking about going to the aquaduct sometime soon. Wife just had a baby girl. So Im stuck for a while.

vini-v
06-10-2006, 10:01 PM
The magic bait is worms. Blood worms and pile worms. They are pretty expensive though, but they work really good. A few years ago I caught 7 big ones in a few hours. That was when the limit is 5 and I gave 2 to my friend. Give that a try. Im thinking about going to the aquaduct sometime soon. Wife just had a baby girl. So Im stuck for a while.

Well big Congratualtions 559 what a lucky guy I have no kids, YET :P

Blood worms and pile worms
Yeah but where can you find them around here ?

vini-v
06-10-2006, 10:03 PM
I think next weekend we're gonna hit the aquaduct its about that time again. I lost a monster last year fishing off one of the bridges we got the aspot light on it just about the time it broke off and it was huge probably over 20 pound striper. >:(

Got skunked last night fished delta mendota canal for a few hours then out to the slough for a few hours

Steve_J.
06-11-2006, 03:52 AM

Well big Congratualtions 559 what a lucky guy I have no kids, YET *:P

Blood worms and pile worms
Yeah but where can you find them around here ?

I think that Liquor store / Bait shop in Pinedale has them.

559fish
06-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Thats right. That liguor has them. Its right next to D & L Roses on Blackstone. Check it out.

My friends went to the aquaduct yesturday. They caught a few good size stripers. Over 18". And a huge cat fish on some anchovies.

catstallker
06-12-2006, 12:57 PM
What part of the duct 559? Were the fishing the head gates?

vini-v
06-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks steve and 559 I just got the word today from someone else that they have all that stuff there at the liquour store.

Sounds like it is time to hit the Duct for sure

*Deltadog*
06-13-2006, 06:36 AM
Hey guys.... Went out last night and found and got permission to fish on private land. Also got the OK to use 2 poles at James Road and at the slough that runs on the private land. Caught 4 cats between 4-5 lb. and a 28 in striper. Will be going out Fri or Sat. Anyone game?????? Let me know. It was beautiful out there last night, but sure tired here at work LOL. Anyone up for some fishing, let me know. *

Robb
I know this is a hella-old post, but how and who gave you permission to use two poles on a body of water that is not a lake or reservoir?? If it was a land owner, he was writing checks he cant cash! If DFG caught you, you would be in for a healthy fine!! And if it was DFG, you better have a name and badge #. And where the heck is Mendota Slough at anyway??

*Dog

catstallker
06-13-2006, 06:49 AM
Mendota Slough is actually called the Kings Slough. Everyone in the area calls it Mendota. It is 30 miles west of Fresno. From 180 (whitesbridge Rd) to end of James Rd. 2 poles are allowed. Who gave permission, DF&G. Even though the slough is actually a river, anglers are allowed to use 2 poles.

559fish
06-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Actually, I think its called the Fresno Slough.

Vini, you might want to take some anchovies too. My friends were using anchovies, but the pile worms and blood worms will be better. Its just better to have different options in bait though. I also heard that sardines are better then anchovies. Might want to give that a try.

Let me know when you going out there. I might be going out there this coming up weekend. Not really sure yet.

*Deltadog*
06-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Mendota Slough is actually called the Kings Slough. Everyone in the area calls it Mendota. It is 30 miles west of Fresno. From 180 (whitesbridge Rd) to end of James Rd. 2 poles are allowed. *Who gave permission, DF&G. Even though the slough is actually a river, anglers are allowed to use 2 poles.
I would double check that one. With all the problems the fishery is having right now, you could end up with a fat fine. One warden may have said it, but there is no certainty that the next may not fine your butt! I have never heard of F&G doing that anywhere. I got harrassed by them a few weeks back at Tiger Creek, just because the water level was so low, I checked with Sacramento before fishing it and was told that the high water mark designates the end of a lake, and as long as you are below that mark or within it, you are ok. Good thing because a half hour later two wardens pulled up on me and asked me what I thought I was doing fishing with two poles in a river. I told them what I was told by the headquarters personnel and they walked away and had a pow-wow, ended up letting me go. All I am saying is I very much doubt if you call sacto. that they will tell you that it is alright to do so. That would be the only body of water in the state allowing that exception. I highly doubt that is the case.
Dog
P.S.- I hear they are changing the two pole stamp law(or purposing it) to include the Delta waters also.

559fish
06-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Two pole is ok there. I always fish 2 poles there with no problem at all. Just make sure that you have the 2 pole stamp on it. One time when we were fishing out there, a DFG came by and ask me if I have a 2 pole stamp. I showed him the stamp and he was ok with it.

*Deltadog*
06-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Well Good Luck then! I myself wouldnt risk that ticket, plus I can only reel in one pole at a time. And no catfish is worth $300!!
Dog

catstallker
06-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Deltadog, 2 poles are allowed. So no worries and no risk. Been fishing that area all my life. And 2 poles are not that big a deal lol. Fish for bait while fishing for cats and stripes is the way to go ;).

Steve_J.
06-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Two poles are only allowed in the Mendota Wildlife Refuge part of the slough. On the North side of Highway 180 it's 1 pole only. The Refuge is a 'designated area'. These areas are listed in the regulations booklet.

catstallker
06-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks Steve for the clarification. By the way Steve, got a few picts of you and that striper from a few weeks ago. I will down load them picts real soon and e mail em to ya ;)

Oh...559, They also call it Fresno slough, but the actual name is Kings Slough. The slough is actually part of the Kings river flowing North and The San Joaquin and Delta Mendota flows into it.

theljatscu
09-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Hey guys,
My dad turned me on to this fish sniffer community, and im impressed so far. This weekend my dad and I are thinking about heading up to Medota Slough, and currently i have three questions. When, where are the cats biting at? is there a chance we can find a good crappie/bluegill spot out there in Medota?
thanks for the help :)

catstallker
09-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Only the loop is open now till Feb. I would try James Rd. Use Liver or some good dip bait. worms, minnows and micro jigs work real well for pan fish. Good luck to ya. PM me if you want more specific info out there.

Steve_J.
09-22-2006, 11:02 AM
For crappie, fish under the bridges. If you have a boat try the bridge back in the Game Reserve and the 180 bridge. If you pay to park in the resort you can fish from the railroad bridge (one pole only). There's a bait shop behind the little restaurant where you pay. You can get minnows there.

vietthug559
01-16-2007, 09:04 AM
hey..im new to this forum and never fished in mendota before..what's the best place to catch stripers and lg bass?? any specific areas and can you give me directions on how to get to those places please?