PDA

View Full Version : crawfish for bait

hbennettjr
05-28-2006, 11:12 AM
What is the proper way to rig a live crawfish? what size and type hook?

hbennettjr

Erreck
05-28-2006, 12:21 PM
There are several ways to hook-up a live crawdad... I've found the following to be the easiest: Start at the end of the tail on the bottom side and run the hook up inside the tail (along the "mud vein") toward the body. Let the hook tip come out just before entering the main body. The hook should be downward facing with the legs and the tip pointing backward... If you're familiar with the way crawdads "swim", the action you get when pulling it through the water should resemble their natural movement.

I use Gamagatsu 2/0 baitholders with med. and large crawdads.

P.S. This is a killer Bass rig! 8-)

*Deltadog*
05-31-2006, 06:34 AM
Break off the legs and claws for maximum attraction for cats(2/0 - 3/0 Gama Octo hook.), hooking them as stated above. Pardee is a killer lake for fishing bugs for bait. Every cat I've ever caught there has had a gut full of crawdads. Use mackerel to fish when you get there, throw your heads and carcass is the water, out about 3 or 4 feet and wait for the crawdads to find it, scoop em up with your net and use em' for bait. They are quick though so it may take a couple of trys to get a few. Nice, big, clean catfish at Pardee. Average fish is in the 4-8 lb. area. Fish a few hours before sunset til around midnight, when the bite will slow down, don't evevn bother if it's a full moon. Try down below the Woodpile, around to the south side.
* *Dog

dadams
06-05-2006, 03:42 PM
if you have some crawdads with you and the bite gets tuff, try peeling the tail on one and just use the meat, i still like whole craws better for big fish but when the bite gets tuff, the craw meat on a hook has saved a few days