PDA

View Full Version : Best Place for Catfish Right Now

GoneCountry
04-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Im planning a week long trip of fishing and was wondering anybody know a great spot for catching the cats right now????It would be even nicer if I had a rv spot with river or lake frontage ?????Any Ideas

Smeja
04-07-2006, 03:59 PM
a great spot for catching the cats right now????

I'm not sure there is such a place anywhere in california. another month or so would be your best bet. If your committed to the cause and are going anyways try the port of sacamento off jefferson blvd.

Wolf74
04-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Hey Smeja, seems like you've almost reached Kahunaville hehehe. You gonna throw a party? lol

AllFishNoWork
04-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Gone Country-I don't know about cats right now, but for a week long RV/Fish trip you might set up base camp somewhere near Jackson and then you could have your choice of 5 or so lakes all a short drive from each other. Good luck!

Smeja
04-08-2006, 12:53 AM
wolf, i just might ;D

GC, check your PM

fishn4me
04-08-2006, 01:35 AM
I would say Camp Far West, as much as I hate how the park is operated (DON'T GO ON MAJOR WEEKENDS) the lake is starting to produce and is muddy so stinky stink is the key. This time of year you can get a nice site right next to the water. I went to the Port yesterday, not recommend for RV's had a couple of decent hits on mackeral, didn't catch any though.

Smeja
04-08-2006, 02:02 PM
i didnt even think of that. Camp far west could be just what your looking for, great advice f4m. again still very early in the season for cats but hey its worth a shot. it can be hard to fish that place from shore us 6-8lb test so you can get out further. Thats just what I do.

i got a few cats last week at the port its alright there too. Just depends on what your looking for. I've had much better luck at the port then CFW

fishn4me
04-08-2006, 02:46 PM
I take the port 10 to 1 over CFW, but have caught some nice cats at CFW and if you have an RV its the only place with a water view. There is a place out in Nicolas off of 99 called Minden Family Farms its a NACO & Thousand Trails resort they have a huge pond with some monster cats in there, it used to open to the public and I caught some of my biggest catfish in that pond.

Fish_R_Us
05-17-2006, 03:07 PM
The rivers are way too cold to get the catfish into feeding mode. I'd try anywhere where the sun can warm up some water. Shallow lake inlets and coves would probably do the trick.

Diego916
05-17-2006, 08:08 PM
The BEST place for cats is Clear Lake ;)

Smeja
05-17-2006, 11:05 PM
The rivers are way too cold to get the catfish into feeding mode. .

we must be fishing different rivers. i havent been able to keep the cats off my hook on most my recent trips to the river (the sac)

Fish_R_Us
05-18-2006, 08:47 AM
You might try Caswell State Park in Manteca. They have some drive-in camping spots that are right on the river. There's a nice day use area for the rest of the campsights. Probably no need to reserve sites at this time, especially during the week.

NoJob
05-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Amador is always nice. Theres some big cats in that lake.

CenCoast_Angler
05-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Lake Berryessa right now, near Spanish Flat marina.

I'm going to Lake San Antonio next wknd and plan on doing a couple "all-nighters" for catfish. Last time I got a couple 5lbers there...around 2am.

PK

keciga1
05-19-2006, 11:25 AM
If you have a boat you can try Brennan Island campground, I went out there for the Striperfest and caught a couple of catfish right when you get to San Joaquin river around the rock point there. Might wanna give it a try, they have RV campgrounds and boat launch. Also a good spot there is by a little private dock before you get to the bridge before you go into Sac river.

GoneCountry
05-24-2006, 06:31 PM
wow I cant belive this post it wont die.....I ended up fishing that week close to home. Lake Chabot but came back and found things I didnt know like camping on river front at caswell..Yeh sounds like my kinda spot..........Thanks for all the good suggestions I checked out Far west and its part of a private campground I inquired for info but no ones contacted me......Thanks Again