PDA

View Full Version : Favorite catfish spots

MinnowMagnet
04-26-2006, 03:27 PM

JIM_D.
04-27-2006, 04:19 AM
Wasn't much to read but my favorite spot is Miner Slough. JIM D.

Smeja
04-27-2006, 06:29 AM
thats like asking me to choose who my favorite children are. :o

Too many good spots to choose from. Either one of my hunny holes in west sac or the port or sac

RIGHTHOOK
04-27-2006, 07:08 AM
I know this pond in the hills of Georgetown that has so many catfish in it that if a leaf hits the water they attack it thinking it may be food. Caught em up to 12 pounds there, and have caught so many I actually became bored. Very few people have the opportunity to fish there...its on pri
private property and getting permission is a difficult venture.
PS...minnow magnet where the heck is the initial post for this? Or are you letting the title speak for itself?

Smeja
04-27-2006, 07:39 AM
actually i would say it depends on what size of cats i'm looking for and what time of year. i dont really like to fish the delta for cats most of the ones I catch are not more then 14''. my biggest outta the delta was 6lb.

Early in the year (may-june) and later (sept oct) I like the port. It seems to produce some very nice cats early and later on. last year my buddy nailed two 20lb+ cats in a 10 minute time span at the port and I got a 12lb and 14lb that same night. Mid summer it seems that your lucky to brake 2lb.

theres a few sloughs and ponds I like to go fishing mid summer. None of them private. Where I've gotten a few 20lb+ catfish my biggest was 26lb last summer.

Amador mid summer.

upper sac early summer.

there is not a shortage of places to cat nice catfish at

Diamondback70
04-28-2006, 09:34 PM
I would have to say Amador has some sweet hogs....just gotta look out for those freakin muskrats :o

*Deltadog*
05-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Lake Pardee cats rule!!

AllFishNoWork
05-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Amador

Fish_R_Us
05-17-2006, 03:25 PM
Id vote for the Delta area. Still close enough from the Bay Area. Miles of sloughs, backwaters, rivers, and canals.

I had a college friend who was an old time friend with one of the daughters at the Gallo Ranch, along SR-140, Gustine. The ranch was a couple thousand acres, and bordered the San Jouquine River, prime area for big channel cats. We definately had the place to ourselves. We would jam our poles straight up into the sand. Then go shoot doves, pheasants & quail, then drive by to check out the poles any "down" poles would signal a fish bite. That was the best place I knew of. The only downfall was it was downstream of the Kesterson Wildlife area, famous for their polluted selenium and other spent fertilizers and farming by-products. I gave away alot of those fish, but still had a loadfull of fun catching them.