PDA

View Full Version : Why are the port of sac cats

Try_em_all
05-09-2006, 06:26 PM
so small? I catch a lot of little ones and an occasional keeper. Where are the keepers. Seems like the ratio isn't right. Your thoughts.

fishn4me
05-09-2006, 07:00 PM
There is a lot of pressure on the port and with some people keeping every fish they catch no matter the size it makes it hard to catch some big fish. The fish are there and are very picky on what they eat its just finding what they are hungry for.

Smeja
05-09-2006, 09:46 PM
i dont know.

i do however know me and my gang the 4 or so people i fish with have pulled out 7 20lb+ catfish out of the port. That is just last year tho. i'm sure we have caught more. personally i just got 2 of those 20lb+.

i understand what your saying it seems like some nights you cant seem to brake 12'' out there.

dbass
05-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Try using shad, they really love them out there, I don't cats, but aren't the pan size the best eating?

Wolf74
05-12-2006, 01:37 PM
I'd pretty much eat them all.

Americansteel
05-16-2006, 08:47 AM
using shad in the port.. not smart! youll have to sit and keep it away from the mitten crabs out there.. theyll grab the shad and pull it into their holes, and then your snagged up!

Smeja
05-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Americansteel is write there is a ton of crabs there a few months back i was with a few buddys. i set up with a dine head they used whole sardines. 3 different guys. they all reeled in after 2 hours and no bites to find they had NO BAIT whatsoever.

Then again i did get spooled out there on shad so you never know what you wanna use

luvtobankfish
05-16-2006, 12:59 PM
How do you get to the port of sac from rancho cordova? What time is the best time to fish there? What bait is best I might go out tonight.

Smeja
05-16-2006, 01:23 PM
How do you get to the port of sac from rancho cordova? *What time is the best time to fish there? *What bait is best I might go out tonight.

Uhm from rancho? get on 50 take the jefferson blvd exit in west sac turn left on jefferson. Follow that for about 2 miles turn right on lake washington drive about a half mile and right when the suicide lane ends turn left cross over trafic into the dirt field then you'll see a dirt road follow that and your there. Best time to fish there is after dark. Best bait is chicken liver or sardines. Not too much not too little.

Use no more then 1oz of lead. Light line works better too. 15lb is ideal

Smeja
05-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Try a spot for 30 mins if you dont get a bite try another for 30 mins. It sucks moving after your all set up but that seems to be the best way to do it.

good luck

fishn4me
05-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Another thing is you might want to put your bait above your weight that way you can avoid the moss on the bottom. The port can be productive then again it can be slow. Either case its a great place to just hang out drink and fish, what else can you ask for?

keviwa
05-17-2006, 05:23 AM
Another thing is you might want to put your bait above your weight that way you can avoid the moss on the bottom. *The port can be productive then again it can be slow. *Either case its a great place to just hang out drink and fish, what else can you ask for?

HOOTER GIRLS! Someone has to hold your beer as you drag that 10 pounder in!! ;) ;D

Americansteel
05-17-2006, 08:30 AM
hahah... fish the tides.. one time my dad and i sat out there untill 1230, and we had 1 cat on the stringer, as i was throwing him back to leave, his rod starts bouncing, the tides started moving around and it was catch, re-bait, catch, re-bait, catch, re-bait, catch, re-bait.. and we ended up with 10 cats in 15 minutes