PDA

View Full Version : Kinda Big Catfish Caught at Lafayette Reservoir

shakinuglystikincc
04-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Hi, Someone on the dock at Lafayette Reservoir (yesterday) caught a big fat flathead looking catfish that weighed in at approximately 18 lbs. They didn't want to keep it so we took it home to give it to some friends who eat catfish.

I thought this fish looked like it was a female because it had a 'pregnant looking belly.' When we cleaned it at our friend's house, sure enough it had two bulging sacs of yellow colored roe! My expert fishing friend did the cleaning saying it's the most difficult of fish to clean and peel the skin off (using pliers and knife) and that usually the easiest way to do it is to use a nail to nail it through the head to a board, the most bizarre part is, the fish still seems conscious after gutting it and seemed to intentionally bite my friend (why is that? just how smart is a catfish?) Anyway, it yielded about 12 clean and healthy looking 2 inch catfish steaks that were promptly frozen by our friends.

It's our guess that this fish may be over 20 years old because my friend who has been fishing most of his life says a catfish of this size is relatively rare to catch in waters such as this reservoir. Does anyone know about how old a freshwater catfish of this size might be, I'm curious!
PS: my readings online say that this is spawning time for catfish!

Smeja
04-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Very nice catch!!! Even if it wasnt yours. thanks for sharing

shakinuglystikincc
04-21-2006, 12:31 AM
You're welcome! The people who caught it had it weighed there too by whomever keeps the records at the park station where you buy the daily fishing passes. They took a picture of it too. Whether or not you will eventually see a photo of it or not at the park station there with the date remains to be seen. If we go back there to fish we'll see if it is on the photo board of fish caught there and I'll try to post info. to let readers here know if it was noted in that way!

fishaman
04-21-2006, 12:37 PM
hey,although i have not been there in 30 some odd years. i can tell you that big fish from lafayette res. is not that unusual as you may think. they are known for having really big bass as well as catfish. having fished there everyday (mon.thru fri.)during the summer as a kid(early teens)i'm now 47.i've seen and caught some nice bass there specifically from the boat rental dock.when ever my dad went fishing he would rent a boat and they would let us sit there and fish and i would live line bluegill & night crawlers. and the next boat house where the rangers park there boat by the first cove.do they still park the boat there?great bluegill fish next to that house in the shade midday during the heat of the summer!