PDA

View Full Version : One vs Two hooks for Catfishing.

Catdreamer
04-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Hi All,
Thank you.. Fish Sniffer.. for keeping this site alive. I am very new on this board and will have to apologize you folks with my English.

-What're your opinions on a single hook vs two hooks for catfishing?.
Do you think that two hooks will have more chances to catch or just wasting more baits?, because I alway like to fish with two hooks.

Thanks in advance for your comments or opinions.

MB_Kevin
04-01-2006, 11:21 PM
I think you need to find out what bait they are hitting at the lake. If the fish is in the area it should hit it. If I want to try 2 baits I use 2 poles. I have done it with 2 hooks but now I like to have a sliding sinker and I think that would be hard with a 2 hook set up. others might come in with other ideas.
Welcome to the sniffer ;) your English was fine what until you see how i write in some of my posts :P

JIM_D.
04-02-2006, 04:41 AM
I fished with 2 hooks for years, the sinker on the bottom and the hooks tied to the line above. Then I discovered the sliding sinker, it works much better allthough I did catch 2 fish at once many times with the 2 hook set up I prefer the slider. JIM D.

Know_Excuses
04-02-2006, 10:27 AM
I also use 1 hook with the slider,Bait for cats is almost always stink bait on a trebble hook with what ever bait holder thing i can find or a sponge.

Diego916
04-02-2006, 03:36 PM
When you need to suspend the bait over the bottom, a high-low rig (also called a surf rig) works great. Its two hooks also broadcast more scent and allow you to experiment with two baits, two baiting methods, or two hook types at the same time. You can also use a three way rig with a three way swivel, or a single dropper loop.

However, for the bigger cats I've heard from others that the sliding sinker rig with the reel in free spool and the clicker on is the way to go. You need a baitcaster for this. I've caught cats to ten pounds on the high-low, but when I switched last fall to the sliding setup my average size caught started going up immediately. Also, with a 5/0 kahle hook, you can really pile on the bait offering and get less dinks.

Here's my current setup:

5/0 kahle - 1-2 feet 30# - swivel - bead - slider - 15# maxima
*hook * power pro *

This year, I'm thinking of adding a cork near the hook to suspend the bait off the bottom. Just too many darn crawdads out there.

If you want a bunch of pan sized cats, stick with the high-low *;)

SturgeonVirgin
04-03-2006, 08:45 AM
I usually go with a single hook slider setup for channels, seems that the hi-low rig gets lots of dinks for the area i fish.

Wolf74
04-03-2006, 05:40 PM
I personaly thing either rig works fine for cats. Although I must admit that I usualy use the slide sinker rig more often, probibly because its easyer to rig. However using two hooks can be benificial when you want to experement with more than one bait. It gives you the flexability to try up to 4 different baits if you use two poles. And use 2 baits if you don't have a second rod stamp, or if your fishing in a river or the delta where the second rod stamp is void.

Catdreamer
04-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks a lot folks for your expertise & good advices.

I am 100% with you on bigger cats with slide sinker setup, because the neighbor always bring home bigger cats than me..That's very :-[ when the wife said... you don't know how to fish like him.