PDA

View Full Version : Stormy Catfish

Hog
12-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Hit Lake Mendocino Wednesday for 6 channels to 7lbs in three hours (sorry no pics, camera got wet or something). I love catching cats in the winter after a big storm. Hit the mouth of the major inflow in your favorite lake right where the water first starts to slow and the food is dropping out. Use home dug worms, not store bought , they don't work for winter cats. If you hit it right almost every cat in the lake will be there gorging themselves on the new food coming in. Who says cats don't bite in the winter?

appleinorange
12-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Nothing like home dug worms. Works every time. :)

fishrman4life
12-30-2005, 11:10 PM
you dont have to use nightcrawlers, garden worms are available at worm ranches, dirt cheap...no pun intended

Anti_Hero_Fisher
01-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Whats the diff. between store worms and dug worms???

i caught all my catfish on store worms.

Havent tryed the dug worms from my house.

Ill give it a try ;D

Hog
01-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Store bought don't smell the same I guess, experience has taught me that when the water is muddy and the cats are feeding exclusively by smell dug worms will outfish store bought 20 to 1. Years ago when Lake Mendocino would get going there would be catfisherman shoulder to shoulder, I was using store bought worms and not catching a thing while the guys on either side of me were loading up. This happened on four different trips. Finally an old guy let me use some of his worms and told me about digging my own. In fact it happened the day I caught the 6, there was a kid fishing next to me not catching a thing and using store bought night crawlers. Our baits were not 10 feet apart. I told him to dig some and he said his dad told him the same thing but he was in a hurray.

Wolf74
01-03-2006, 02:04 PM
I can see how that'd make sense. The home dug might have more of an earthy smell. However the only beef i have with home dug is that they are generaly alot smaller than the store bought worms.

appleinorange
01-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Home dug worms are what the fish are feeding on.

fishrman4life
01-03-2006, 09:04 PM
smaller worms, smaller hooks....down to a number 14 in my experience

striper_assasin
01-05-2006, 11:14 AM
i keep a board on the ground near my back door.when i leave i lift up the board and grab a bunch of worms and off i go=)
but i never noticed the difference between store bought or straight out of the ground.they both worked,only reason i get em from my back yard is its just easy and i dont need to stop at a bait shop. :)