PDA

View Full Version : want to try catfishing

wifesathome
12-30-2005, 04:20 AM
Hello just a quick question I would like to start cacthing catfish but really ive never tried before caught one a few months ago fishing for bass now im hooked anyone know a good place in east bay or relatively close or need a partner to cary your stuff for you. what size line and gear should i use I have many heavy rods i us efor rock fishing in saly water would these work or should i buy a new one and designate it for catfish IM always looking for an excuse to buy a new rod any help would be awsome.

JIM_D.
12-30-2005, 05:58 AM
I like to use a med. pole, about 7' and a reel like a mitchel 300 with 12 to 17 lb. test line. JIM D.

wifesathome
12-30-2005, 06:04 AM
thanks jim do you needs anything special for the rig IE weight size hook that sort of thing

FISHINFOOL
12-30-2005, 08:37 AM
Hey wifesathome,
1st time I've seen you on the boards,so let welcome you to a right fine bunch of people.
As to your ?,in the delta & river I use a 18" or so leader w/a slider on the main line for the weight.As to amount of depends on the conditions @ the time(I.E.how fast of current,tide ect.)
In lakes & such I use the same basic rig ect. instead of a slider I just use a sliding sinker on the main line ussually less then an oz. maybe 1/4 or 1/2,Just enough to keep your bait close to the bottom.
Though they can be found & caught this time of year,the best catfishing is generally in the spring & summer,when the water warms up again.
Just keep an eye on the boards,these guy's are pretty good about keeping you posted about whats happening,where.
Hope this helps you some,I'm pretty much consintrating on Sturgoun this time of year,but if youd like to try your luck up here around Suisun,Monty Let me know.
BB&G & where gone ;) ;D
Goodluck & tightlines
Paul
FISHINFOOL
Lonewolf/Mod@gunsbay.com

JIM_D.
12-30-2005, 08:44 AM
FISHINFOOL, Could not have put it better myself, the hook size, I use a 6 or 8. You can use most enything for bait but I perfer chicken livers and sardines wrapped with crazy thread JIM D.

wifesathome
12-30-2005, 08:54 AM
thanks for the info now I just need a place to go any recomendations ill go anywhere dont mind driving and im up at 230 in the morning anyway

FISHINFOOL
12-30-2005, 09:06 AM
Like I sad there wifesathome,anytime,I'm in Fairfield.But it sounds like all the action is on the river up around Knights Landing & the Sutter Bypass ereas.
I'm not for sure yet where but I'm planning on getting out this weekend for Sturgoun of the bank somewhere.I want to try KnightsLanding but I gotta do some figuring & cordinating.I know 1 thing if the Lady I'm seeing lately takes as long to get ready & ain't ready when I'm I may leave her @ homeJ/K ;) ;DHate breaking in a new girlfreindLOL ;) ::)
Keep in touch if you want to go,I'll be heading out hopefully around 3 or 4 tomorrow afternoon after my son gets here.
Paul
FISHINFOOL
Lonewolf/Mod@gunsbay.com

JIM_D.
12-30-2005, 09:08 AM
Do you have a boat or are you bank fishing. does size matter much. There are places where you can catch fish by the dozens but they are only pan size, to maybe 2 or 3 lbs. but mostly about 3/4 to 1 lb. Then there are places where you can catch larger ones but no guarantee that you will catch anything. If you want them for eating, I would go with the smaller ones. JIM D.

wifesathome
12-30-2005, 09:11 AM
hey jim I would be fishing from the bank, and size dosent matter as long as i get my line wetmaybee keep one or two to eat. Whats all the hub bub about knights landing sounds like fun and a road trip all in the same day.

FISHINFOOL
12-30-2005, 09:26 AM
They say there catching cats in the flooded parking lot @ Knights Landing.
Maybe worth a try ::) ???.
I know a spot a lil closer that may produce,a slough I know of out the backside of the Vacaville,Dixon erea.I may go out there & see what happens.LOL Decisions,decisions,so many places to fish & soooo lil time ::)
Paul
FISHINFOOL
Lonewolf/Mod@gunsbay.com

wifesathome
12-30-2005, 09:32 AM
fishin im willing for anything just give me a time and place ya never know what place to go so lets pick one and go vacaville sounds good to me

FISHINFOOL
12-30-2005, 10:08 AM
wifesathome,check your PM's.
We'll get out somewhere for sure ;)

If you want,bring a med/lite or med/heavy pole w/a baitcaster,for Sturgy's also.
Paul
FISHINFOOL
Lonewolf/Mod@gunsbay.com

MB_Kevin
12-30-2005, 10:36 PM
In lakes where I catch most of my cats I only use 8# test and never had one snap I can remember. I put a sliding sinker on the main line then a snap swivel to a hook. I put on hot dogs, night crawler, liver or stink bait. In the river or delta I might go with stronger line. I got a few in the delta on 20# but don't think I need that strong of line.
Good luck.

fishrman4life
12-30-2005, 11:09 PM
8# test is a good weight

#1 circle hooks are number one in my book for catching catfish, never had one shake it

use about a 10 pound leader at 12 inches for casting

7 foot medium light rod with abu garcia spooled with 8 pound