PDA

View Full Version : Catfish Season Wraping up?

Wolf74
09-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Well now that the weather is changing and its starting to cool down, do you guys think the catfishing season for this year is about to wrap up? Or will there be good action for the months to come? I know I did my far share of catfishing this summer, unfortunatly nothing caught over 3lbs, but hey there's always next year.

Diego916
09-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Had my worst night of the year Friday at the delta. Only caught 3 cats, a few stripers, and a mudsucker in 8 hours of fishing. I can't wait for spring! That's when I usually catch the biggest one of the year.

So, yeah, I think its slowing down for the winter :(

lizard
09-12-2005, 03:59 PM
i don't know guys, i talked to one guy at the grizzly island dock who had just finished fishing for the day, and he showed me about thirty or so catfish, caught about 1 mile past red barn like on the way to chain island, that direction. used anchovie and clams. the kats varied in size. like 1 to 4 pounders.

lizard
09-12-2005, 04:00 PM
by the way, this was on the 10th of sept.

AllFishNoWork
09-12-2005, 04:24 PM
I'd say, based on previous experience and your results may be different, about 5-6 more weeks.

striper_assasin
09-12-2005, 04:50 PM
caught a 6 pound cat saturday night down town sac. area.and the next night my friend ron caught another one about the same size at the same spot.we were striper fishing with sardines.that is the biggest cat i have ever caught. :D

JIM_D.
09-13-2005, 03:14 AM
I'd say it depends on where you are fishing, cats have to eat all year, you just have to find out where they hang out for the winter. While fishing for stripers on miner in the winter my son and I found a few spots you can catch them. JIM D.

vini-v
09-13-2005, 06:46 AM
Catfish Season Wraping up?

Heck NO, gear up and get ready for more fishin, we're buying a cord of fire wood and i'm getting a pup tent airing out down gear ;D

mike22ca
09-13-2005, 08:15 AM
While fishing for stripers on miner in the winter my son and I found a few spots you can catch them. *JIM D.

Exactly. The cats are hitting in the river and are in there thick year around. We're out there in the dead of winter and its not uncommon to catch 30 or 40. It sucks though cause thats not our target species, but it is nice to keep some of the better sized ones.

innovate
09-13-2005, 09:07 AM
mike22ca,

Tell me about it. When you're in the dead of winter and something rattles your rod when you're sturgeon fishing, your first instinct is set the hook like mad.

Then, a little catfish comes up on your 7/0 Gamakatsu hook. ;D ;D ;D

mike22ca
09-13-2005, 12:09 PM
EXACTLY >:(

We go get some good ones though from about 5-10#S occasionally though. We keep those ones for giving us a hard time ;D