PDA

View Full Version : where did the delta cats go?

kromebrite
08-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Spent this last week at Delta Bay RV park, and fished that area just about every night and often during the day.
Sometimes I had a bunch of kids fishing, so I played "guide" for them and tried like crazy to get them into catfish. Out of that whole week, TWO catfish! Boatloads of undersize stripers. Anchovies, sardine and liver all tried. I thought for sure it would be teeming with cats, so I was a bit surprised that it was so slow.
I didn't think that the delta cats were area-specific and were just about anywhere you threw a line, but surprise surprise!

JIM_D.
08-15-2005, 12:00 PM
There are areas where they bunch up, you can catch them most anywhere, 1 or 2 at a time, but to catch them on a consistant basis you have to have a spot where they congergate. like miner slough. JIM D.

Finesse
08-17-2005, 03:56 PM
yup there in there, ive been gettng lots of pan sized(15-20")biggest so far is 8lbs but there still there. a good piece of advice when fising for cats, when you don't get much action move to another spot/hole. chances are that there just not there if nothing happens within a hr, i normaly leave after 30mins or so. just my 2 cents ;D

JIM_D.
08-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Finesse, your 2 cents is worth a lot more in wasted time. Never fish all day or night in the same place if you are not getting fish. If there are cats in an area they will bite within 20 minutes. You may not have to move far. JIM D.

fishrman4life
08-18-2005, 01:21 AM
scent takes a long time to travel though depending on the area and may not travel to the fish in moving water...so my advice is experiment with spots and move around when nothins bitin'.

JIM_D.
08-18-2005, 05:03 AM
That is unless you are fishing for sharks, I here they can smell blood from long distances. JIM D.

fishrman4life
08-18-2005, 10:18 PM
That was a myth...look it up on MythBusters. www.discoverychannel.com

Grumpy
08-19-2005, 01:15 PM
First let me start by saying a big HI :D to all. I am Grumpy and now live in the driest state--Nevada.
Now about those Cats. When Hubby & I wanted to go catin' we would head to the Port of Sacramento. Take a left at the front gate to the port, go up over the bridge and make the first right onto a dirt road and it will take you down along the deepwater canal and there are lots of Cats, Stripers, Blues and others too. We normally just used fresh nightcrawlers to get them biting.
We never left without at least catching 13-18 fish every day. So give it a try. Really fun to watch the birds think your gonna give them your fish too.

Wolf74
08-19-2005, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the info. And welcome Grumpy. Now that your in Nevada you could always head up to Pyrimid. I'm told its a pretty good lake. And the site of this years Pyrimidfest.

JIM_D.
08-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Shark experts say a shark can smell blood up to 2 miles in water, hard to believe but it came from a shark expert at cal-expo. JIM D.

mrs._fish
08-21-2005, 11:28 PM
My husband and I ere fishing on the river btwn Freeport and Hood 2 wks ago and he caught about a 7 lb. kitty. Tried to take pic before releasing but it didn't turn out . Too dark :-/

Wolf74
08-22-2005, 12:28 PM
bummer

mike22ca
08-24-2005, 11:42 AM
I dunno, but every time we go sturgeon fishin in the delta there always seems to be plenty of cats around >:(

Fishkiller_Jr.
09-03-2005, 10:17 AM
;)Me and Fishkiller just go to Moctazuma slough and always end up with around 1-6 cats and usually around 2-4 pounds.

Fishkiller Jr.

FISHINFOOL
09-07-2005, 04:31 AM
LOLKillerJr
Your gonnas have to show me where youir getting them cats in my home waters ;D :D
Paul
FISHINFOOL
Lonewolf/Mod@gunsbay.com