PDA

View Full Version : pics from elk grove lake

bendmypole
07-14-2005, 12:33 AM
sniffers,

Check this out! I caught 6 cats last week, 07/09, at elk grove lake. If you're familiar to the place, then you know what i mean by it having 3 different ponds. Well everyone was fishing the pond to the west. I was fooling around trying to catch some bass on some sluggos. I went around and when i got to the east pond, i saw a massive cat try and gulp where my line met with the water since i was twitching my bait. So i went back to the car and grabbed my other poles and some bait (nightcrawlers). I fished for about 30 min, with no bites. then the guy next to my catches one on a i-dont-know-what-im-doing lure. His kastmaster had no hook so he attatched it to a roostertail. haha... but he caught one. Then some kids came by throwing some anchovies in the water. They gave 3 anchovies left to the guy who just caught one, but the guy was gonna leave so he gave them to me. I tried it and in about 5 minutes i had my first one. 6 pound test line, 8 pound fish=15 minutes of pretending you're on tv. by then it was dark. over the next 2 hours I caught the rest. I had 3 on at one point, 1 on each of my "bending poles" all on 6 lbs test, at the time which i yelled for help, but unfortunately i was the only one there. managed to get all of them in, but didnt manage to stop shaking after the ordeal... whew!!!
http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/6167/singlecat9fe.th.png (http://img327.imageshack.us/my.php?image=singlecat9fe.png)
http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/7672/4cats4il.th.png (http://img318.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4cats4il.png)

fishrman4life
07-14-2005, 01:42 AM
friggin awesome dude, i gotta get me there, i wonder what the hell else in in there...CATFISH HUNTER!!!

Try_em_all
07-14-2005, 07:08 AM
sleeper lake.

Finesse
07-14-2005, 07:46 AM
thats a solid cat ya got there ;D. seems like the ponds are doin pretty good :o thats a nice stringer of cats.

badbobfishing33
07-14-2005, 10:43 AM
good job what fun!!.....

daystarchis
07-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Nice fish and story bendmypole.... Great job!

Robb

AllFishNoWork
07-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Thats a nice lookin cat!

You kinda lost me with

I had 3 on at one point, 1 on each of my "bending poles"

PlugROCKSTAR
07-14-2005, 12:07 PM
eeewww, what would you do with catfish from a pond? i know exactly where you caught those and that water does not look good at all.

bendmypole
07-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Yeah, i know what you mean 916steelhead. Eventhough I know they were planters and they werent born there, i still fell kinda icky. I gave the bigger ones to my neighbor and kept the fresh small ones which i knew were fresh planters. They're still in my freezer... I'll probably give them away too though.

I went there today around 1:00 pm. a guy said he caught some on some power bait. I tried for about an hour and gave in to the heat. maybe tommorow evenning... If anyone sees me there, give me a hello.

qwerty
07-16-2005, 03:13 PM
sniffers,

Check this out! I caught 6 cats last week, 07/09, at elk grove lake. If you're familiar to the place, then you know what i mean by it having 3 different ponds. Well everyone was fishing the pond to the west. I was fooling around trying to catch some bass on some sluggos. I went around and when i got to the east pond, i saw a massive cat try and gulp where my line met with the water since i was twitching my bait. So i went back to the car and grabbed my other poles and some bait (nightcrawlers). I fished for about 30 min, with no bites. then the guy next to my catches one on a i-dont-know-what-im-doing lure. His kastmaster had no hook so he attatched it to a roostertail. haha... but he caught one. Then some kids came by throwing some anchovies in the water. They gave 3 anchovies left to the guy who just caught one, but the guy was gonna leave so he gave them to me. I tried it and in about 5 minutes i had my first one. 6 pound test line, 8 pound fish=15 minutes of pretending you're on tv. by then it was dark. over the next 2 hours I caught the rest. I had 3 on at one point, 1 on each of my "bending poles" all on 6 lbs test, at the time which i yelled for help, but unfortunately i was the only one there. managed to get all of them in, but didnt manage to stop shaking after the ordeal... whew!!! * *
http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/6167/singlecat9fe.th.png (http://img327.imageshack.us/my.php?image=singlecat9fe.png)
http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/7672/4cats4il.th.png (http://img318.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4cats4il.png)

Where exactly is this lake @? Directions plz

JIM_D.
07-16-2005, 04:59 PM
The last time I was there the water was really nasty, the only live fish I seen had sores all over it, they may have been planted but they still live in that water. That was a nice pond at one time years ago. JIM D.

Diamondback70
07-17-2005, 01:06 AM
I had 3 on at one point, 1 on each of my "bending poles"

Is there a 3 pole stamp now ??? Where can I get one? :-/

daystarchis
07-17-2005, 04:45 PM
when you find out Diamondback70, let me know. Like to get one of those stamps. LOL ;)

JIM_D.
07-17-2005, 07:47 PM
They do have 2 pole stamps for lakes and res. only, I have one, you can get them at DFG. $10.00 JIM D.

fishrman4life
07-17-2005, 10:23 PM
off Highway 99 going south from 50 i think

JIM_D.
07-18-2005, 04:34 AM
From Sacramento, take 99 south and exit at elkgrove blvd. east. should be able to follow signs from there. JIM D.

Blktailhunter
07-18-2005, 09:35 AM
I had 3 on at one point, 1 on each of my "bending poles" all on 6 lbs test, at the time which i yelled for help, but unfortunately i was the only one there

Nice job on the cats, but I suggest you read the regulations. >:(

Call Cal-TIP to report
Poachers & Polluters
1 - 8 8 8 - 3 3 4 - 2 2 5 8

BaitMaster
07-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Like Jim_D said: take 99 south and exit at elkgrove blvd. east. Just head down the boulevard about a mile, and take a right on Elk Grove Florin rd. Follow that down a mile, and the park is on the right(after the high school).

I've lived in Elk Grove my whole life, so im not sure how clear the signs are.....(Ive never had any reason to look for them, lol).

raycid
07-19-2005, 03:00 AM
Good job on the fish but I would be hesitant to eat those suckers. *Last time I was there (last summer) that water was weird looking. *Its like they dye it blue or something, never seen turquoise blue water before. *Is that even a pond? *??? *It kind of looks like the water from those porta-potties. ???

Striperman
07-20-2005, 01:12 AM
haha this is a funny post to me because my grandpa lives 2mins away from elk grove park and i have fished it when i was a small kid. Caught some nice cats on nightcrawlers. I was playin ball at the highschool the other day. we had some down time between games so i took a walk to the ponds. Man have they changed since i was last there. The water level has dropped and they knocked out the bridge to the island in the middle!!! I usto fish off that bridge but now there is no bridge and no water where the bridge usto be!! What happend? Maby next time im out that way ill drop in a line!!

Striperman

alfredo
07-20-2005, 10:12 PM
sniffers,

....6 cats last week, 07/09, at elk grove lake. If you're familiar to the place, then you know what i mean by it having 3 different ponds. Well everyone was fishing the pond to the west...

I see people mention EG Park. Are there three ponds in that park? I've only noticed one.

Or, is he talking about the ponds on Laguna creek, along Bond?

Alan

dirtydan
07-21-2005, 10:44 AM
I see people mention EG Park. Are there three ponds in that park? I've only noticed one.

Or, is he talking about the ponds on Laguna creek, along Bond?

Alan

He's talking about EG Park. The ponds at EG Park are stocked. I fish the "ponds" on Laguna Creek often - I live right there - although the cats from Laguna Creek look and smell as nasty (although a bit smaller).

-DD

Wolf74
07-21-2005, 11:16 AM
I live pretty close to those ponds but I've never fished them. I always thought that it was too close to a city area so the fish quality wouldn't be that great. I didn't think there was catfish that big in there though. But I think I too would be hesitant to eat the fish out of there.